Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
spence

Lybia

Looks to be really falling apart in the last 24 hours. Already reports are that the eastern part of the country isn't even under government control.

This can only go from already ugly to worse and must be hell for the State Department.

-spence
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Piscator

This is just the beginning.......................

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This can only go from already ugly to worse and must be hell for the State Department.

-spence
No faith in Hillary C?

All these countries are now like tumbleweeds, falling one after another as the residents strive for freedom and to find their unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Good luck!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Its 40 years over due!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

If Saudi Arabia falls, we're not going to being having a very good economic outlook moving forward.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
No faith in Hillary C?

All these countries are now like tumbleweeds, falling one after another as the residents strive for freedom and to find their unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Good luck!
I think Hillary is pretty strong and has a decent team around her.

The comment is more about the situation in general. Here we have decades of US policy crashing down with an extremely high number of variables and (best case) fuzzy situational intelligence.

What we're witness to is a multi-generational power shift that's held on through the Cold War and largely a product of the dismantling of Colonialism in an era of growing energy dependence.

It's going to be very interesting to see where this all goes, and when exactly the 12th Imam makes an appearance to usher in the end of the world. (that was for you Scott )

-spence
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:
It's going to be very interesting to see where this all goes, and when exactly the 12th Imam makes an appearance to usher in the end of the world. (that was for you Scott )

-spence
I'm not sure what that is but I think it may have just steamed through the Suez Canal....
Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Haven't heard much from our "leader" on all the unrest...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
I think Hillary is pretty strong and has a decent team around her.

The comment is more about the situation in general. Here we have decades of US policy crashing down with an extremely high number of variables and (best case) fuzzy situational intelligence.

What we're witness to is a multi-generational power shift that's held on through the Cold War and largely a product of the dismantling of Colonialism in an era of growing energy dependence.

-spence
While I think Clinton is doing OK overall with State (doing better than the WH IMO) with the stuff coming down in Egypt/Libya eta al, I'm not worrying about the Hell State is going through . Its funny though, all hell is breaking loose across a million square miles and your worried about Hillary. Man crush ? Rockin' the Pantsuit love?

(disclaimer: I don't think that's the case but it sure be funny)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Question: You cant look at WWII with out going back to WWI and the root causes. History develops over decades.
So, if these mid-east countries evolve into some form of democracy, will history look at George Bush and the Iraq/Afghanistan wars as catalyst for the upheaval and (if it happens) spread of democracy in the mid-east? Interesting concept.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
So, if these mid-east countries evolve into some form of democracy, will history look at George Bush and the Iraq/Afghanistan wars as catalyst for the upheaval and (if it happens) spread of democracy in the mid-east? Interesting concept.
I'm sure there are many on the Right itching to make that case, although I'm not sure it's a very good one.

What I believe to be happening is a demographic shift more than anything else. It's simply a changing of the times...

-spence
Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I'm sure there are many on the Right itching to make that case, although I'm not sure it's a very good one.

What I believe to be happening is a demographic shift more than anything else. It's simply a changing of the times...

-spence
I dont know know enough to make a case for it, but you have to ask - why now? My childhood is full of seeing US Presidents and leaders in the mid-east negotiating over and over and over and nothing ever changing. Maybe the US actions in Iraq have shown that brutal leaders can be taken down and that the US will back these countries. Maybe Al-quedas escalation over the last 15 yrs is really a last gamble, not gaining in popularity, but a dying breed? Couple that with Obamas message that this is not about Muslims and you may have a the seeds that lead to this? Just thinking out loud.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Nebe

You could be right jim
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I think social media and meshed communications have a lot to do with it as well, both within a small geographic area and the ability to link disparate geographic areas. Information pouring from all directions instead of forced and fed from controlled sources.

And yes, for all its many (significant) warts, something resembling some kind of democracy in Iraq must be helping move things from the hopeless to the possible.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Arrow

Awful what Qaddaffi, his loyalists, and African mercenaries are doing. Prayers to those afflicted by this unnecessary brutality.

Warning, VERY GRAPHIC.

Libya Protests: Shocking Photos and Video - The Daily Beast

Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You could be right jim
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
No, then Bush would be right. That will never fly
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

#1 I think Hillary's greatest gift is not covering her hair in the mid east
#2 I feel that women given a chance to go to school will in time help democracy in the Mideast.

#3 I just heard that the Saudi king is back from his back operation and has given a 15% pay increase to his subjects.

#4As long as the (80year old) king is alive things should be stable