Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

need a new machine

looking for a high end all-in one for the kitchen. Want to have an SSD and no mechanical hard drive.

Dell has a combined SSD + hard drive but the SSD is just a cache, I want to get rid of the mechanical whirrrrrr and the popcorn sound of the drive and I want much faster response.

I am not a big apple fan but their imac has a 500gb "flash drive" also their ad shows a nice slim monitor but is it an all in one or is there an ugly box with wires they are not showing?

ANy suggestions??
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
iamskippy

Lol dude, you so missed your window of oppertunity.......
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Mr. Sandman

Are you referring to "black friday" or "Cyber monday"???

If so, I really don't care for shopping on the same day as everyone else. I really am not interested in those retail hallmark holiday sales. I buy stuff when I need it.
You forget, I have not been to a traditional mall in over 15 years and have no interest in competitive or full contact shopping.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Nebe

The iMac is great and yes, it's all in one.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Are you referring to "black friday" or "Cyber monday"???

If so, I really don't care for shopping on the same day as everyone else. I really am not interested in those retail hallmark holiday sales. I buy stuff when I need it.
You forget, I have not been to a traditional mall in over 15 years and have no interest in competitive or full contact shopping.
I dont go to the mall either hate. Could have built you a sick machine for short money.

Back on topic.
I am not a apple fan at all so please understand there is some bias, however i will give you my opinion based on 20 + years of experience.

Dell has made a great come back. They did a lot of damage to themselves when they got into production machines(cheapies to compete with gateway and emachine). They still have thier low end stuff but its not complete crap anymore.

I recently purchase my 67 yr old mother a gateway, really turned out to be a nice machine for the money.

Thise would be my 2 recomended companies.

As far as parts and specs.

Processor - intell all day any day stay away from AMD i use to be a.BIG AMD junky but not any more.

Memory - shoot for 8gb i wouldnt go any less then 6 gb

SSD drive - samsung is the best on the market at this time imho, the read right times and data transfer rates are insane.

Video card - (avoid on board video at all cost)this is a tricky one. This is where i think AMD has the advantage but there are some nice Geforce cards out, just make sure its DDR 5 ram and 2gb, or me 1gb isnt enough.

Other then that its an open court, but those componants will get you a machine that will last a long time.

Oh WIN7 dont get 8.....
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote