Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Anyone watching a 4K tv?

I am making my dining room into a TV room upstairs and putting the dining area in another space. It will make more efficient use of both rooms. So, I need to get a nice TV upstairs. I have a sony 65" set up in the playroom downstairs but it has everything attached to it game consoles several dvd playerse etc). I want this just for TV watching. I want a great looking smart TV with a sonos or high end sound bar...no other junk.

I was going to get another 65" sony ( because I was very happy with my last one) but there is a lot of chatter of 4k now. They are about 2X as much) The latest TV's seem up upscale all HD to 4K even though it is not broadcast in 4K. Do you notice ***any*** difference? I know netflix and amazon are now streaming some stuff in 4K but I don't know much else.

Anyway, I will probably just go 1080P unless someone says it is the be-all-and-end-all on regular HD broadcasts ( like sports)
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
CTSurfrat

From what I understand there is limited material out there in 4k. However, the real issue is getting the content to your TV. I don't think there is a reliable method from cable or Netflix as of yet. It takes a ton of bandwidth to stream and store the material. I would guess we are a couple of years away from realistic use of 4k TV. Having said that, if you get one now you'll be ahead of the curve!

Bill
CTSurfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
fish4striper

I thought I saw on another board, think it was THT, there is still very limited content for them. I'd do a bunch of searching imo
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I bought one from Amazon on Thanksgiving Day, just under 2k for a 70" Vizio with 4K. I have been watching this sized TV prices for 2 yrs and finally hit my price point. No 4K content available until later this yr. It is definitely a good, hi-res set compared to my over 10 yr old Toshiba 52" DLP. For the right price you can't go wrong, TV's don't die (unless you are Andy. ) so whatever you go with you will be watching a LONG time. I am impressed with the HD movies streamed from Netflix/UVUU. Sports it is good (240 refresh rate) but you can definitely tell when networks use less than HD cameras....
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

Yeah...That's what I thought... I will probably just get a 1080p. I just wanted to know to know about this up-scaling effect...

By the time the content is there...the cost for the set will be cut in half.

Buzz...so have you actually seen a 4K movie yet?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

No I have not viewed anything 4K. Netflix streaming a couple shows soon in 4K.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
tysdad115

Hey Phil I saw that!! I couldn't swing the 4K, stuck with a crappy old Sony magnolia and we love it.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
trevier

Looked at a sony 4k yesterday at bestbuy. They were playing a movie side by side with another sony 1080p and the difference was dramatic to say the least. The 4k was about 1800 for a sony in 55 inch, lg was about 1200. Wait the week before superbowl, best time to buy tv's.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

For testing 4K it appears Youtube is the best current source of videos actually shot in 4K. Liking my Vizio 70" with actual 4k content.