Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-31-2022, 10:10 AM   #151
Pete F.
Canceled

Jim's been listening to Faux again, where he's heard Rafael Cruz complain about the liberalization of the coastal elites............

Cruz is a graduate of Princeton and Yale, a lawyer, a senator, the multimillionaire husband of a Goldman Sachs executive, who sends his kids to an exclusive school, but sure, let’s listen to him on ‘elites’!

And whether it's Cruz, Stefanik, Hawley, John Kennedy, or any of the countless other GOP privileged elites pretending they aren't, it's clear being a shameless, lying, opportunist willing to do and say anything is mandatory for success in the GOP. Principles are a liability.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-31-2022, 10:35 AM   #152
PaulS

your only about taxes or wealth and totally ignore every other stat which show states run by Rs are in a worse position. other than taxes the R states are near the bottom in most quality of life stats, maternal mortality, low wages, low levels of mental health access, high incarceration rate, healthcare, infrastucture.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...tes-to-live-in

Even Fox business ranks D states better.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ve-2021-report
Old 05-31-2022, 10:46 AM   #153
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
your only about taxes or wealth and totally ignore every other stat which show states run by Rs are in a worse position. other than taxes the R states are near the bottom in most quality of life stats, maternal mortality, low wages, low levels of mental health access, high incarceration rate, healthcare, infrastucture.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...tes-to-live-in

Even Fox business ranks D states better.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ve-2021-report
"your only about taxes"

You said CT doesn't make it harder to accumulate wealth. I pointed out the fact that our taxes are much higher than average. I believe that makes it harder to accumulate wealth. You apparently disagree, you say it's not that simple, yet you won't say what the CT state government does, which makes it easier to accumulate wealth?

Please list the things that our state government does (not things that some citizens do, but things that the democrats in Hartford enacted) which make it easier for CT residents to accumulate wealth?

Just because a state has a large number of rich/poor people, doesn't mean the state government had an efefct on those people being rich or poor.

Are you saying the town government of Greenwich helped its citizens get rich? Or did they create a place where rich people want to live? Those are two very very different things.

So the GOP is responsible for red states that aren't nice. But liberalism has nothing to do with the plight in Chicago, or how expensive CT is, or anything else bad that happens in blue places.

Paul, there are places in NH where I'd never want to live. But there are also places in NH (as well as NC and SC) where I would want to live, places with a great quality of life and super low taxes.

Can you point me to any places in the country that are in blue states, which have a high quality of life, and super low taxes? Or are all such places in red states?
Old 05-31-2022, 10:55 AM   #154
PaulS

Greenwich has some of the best schools in the country and the more right leaning ones have the worse schools in the state. Those places that have high qualities of life and super low taxes are the most liberal area in the conservative states. So as I've said numerous times in not as simple as you make it. Many of those people in NH who are prospering live in So. NH and work in Mass.

There is a pretty damn good correlation between the wealth and a states politics.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:50 AM   #155
Jim in CT

Quote:
Greenwich has some of the best schools in the country and the more right leaning ones have the worse schools in the state. Those places that have high qualities of life and super low taxes are the most liberal area in the conservative states. So as I've said numerous times in not as simple as you make it. Many of those people in NH who are prospering live in So. NH and work in Mass.

There is a pretty damn good correlation between the wealth and a states politics.
"Greenwich has some of the best schools in the country "

And is that because of the democrats in Hartford? Or is it because they literally have more money than they know what to do with, and because the riff raff can't afford to live there? And if it's because of the money, WHAT DID THE STATE DEMOCRATS DO, to enable those residents to get rich?

I taught. 90% of success/failure in public schools, is determined at home.

Ang again, if people re moving for weather, why not to southern CA?
Old 05-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #156
Jim in CT

Quote:
Those places that have high qualities of life and super low taxes are the most liberal area in the conservative states. So as I've said numerous times in not as simple as you make it. Many of those people in NH who are prospering live in So. NH and work in Mass.

"Those places that have high qualities of life and super low taxes are the most liberal area in the conservative states."

You saying it, doesn't make it so.

"There is a pretty damn good correlation between the wealth and a states politics"

Yet you refuse to post a single syllable, about what the CT state democrats did, to enable those Greenwich residents to become so successful.

I concede that CT state democrats have done things to make CT an attractive place for multi millionaires to live in. But I don't concede that the state helped those people obtain their wealth, and for as adamant as you say the state did help, you won't specify how.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:02 PM   #157
PaulS

So I guess it is just randomness that makes the poorest counties mostly in Rs states and the richest counties mostly in D states and mosty the poorest states run by Rs and the richest states mostly run by Ds or should we talk about the outliers like S. NH or Ashville or Brentwood TN?
Old 05-31-2022, 12:29 PM   #158
Jim in CT

Quote:
So I guess it is just randomness that makes the poorest counties mostly in Rs states and the richest counties mostly in D states and mosty the poorest states run by Rs and the richest states mostly run by Ds or should we talk about the outliers like S. NH or Ashville or Brentwood TN?
It might not be a coincidence! Maybe the democratic governments in those places, are creating environments which help make people rich. But you can't point to one single example of that, so pardon me if I'm skeptical. And if that were the case, why haven't the CT state democrats replicated that formula in Bridgeport? Whatever you believe they did, it seems they started at the NY border, and kept moving east until they got to Bridgeport, and then they put a halt to it, apparently.

Why not look at the places that are working (good quality of life, low taxes) and see if we can expand on whatever they may have done? But you don't want to do that, because none of you can bear to admit that the conservative agenda, for all its flaws, has some good ideas too.

My brother moved to Fraklin TN many years ago. Great schools, new roads, super low taxes, it was an up and coming place. Now it's one of the hottest markets in the nation. He sold his house for more than triple what he paid for it 10-12 years ago.

The NH suburbs of Bedford, Hollis, Brookline, Amherst...they literally can't build $600,000 houses fast enough. I don't even know what the political affiliation is of those places, but they're located in a purplish state. Same with the Charlotte NC suburbs. They're not deep red, though I guess the places in SC, like Fort Mill, are.

I say let's expand on what they're doing. You dismiss them as outliers.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #159
PaulS

Why do I have to point out one place. look at the country as a whole. The richest states are primarily run Democrats. The poorest states are primarily run by Republicans. The richest counties are primarily in Democratic states. The poorest counties are primarily and Republican states. pretty clear. How about we expand on what the more successful counties or states are doing and raise taxes and provide better benefits like more access to mental health and the better educational system so high tech companies have more incentive to go to them? And you fail to consider that the poorest people are going to go to the biggest cities where they can get the mental health help, access to drug treatment centers and hospitals, public transportation excetera. Instead you try to say that Democratic policies have made those cities poor while failing to understand the population who lives there.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-31-2022, 01:56 PM   #160
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

How about we regulate like we do cars and trucks, adding we don’t sell Indy race cars to the general public.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43058507-EC44-45A8-AE48-232A74FBC588.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	68938  
Old 05-31-2022, 01:58 PM   #161
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why do I have to point out one place. look at the country as a whole. The richest states are primarily run Democrats. The poorest states are primarily run by Republicans. The richest counties are primarily in Democratic states. The poorest counties are primarily and Republican states. pretty clear. How about we expand on what the more successful counties or states are doing and raise taxes and provide better benefits like more access to mental health and the better educational system so high tech companies have more incentive to go to them? And you fail to consider that the poorest people are going to go to the biggest cities where they can get the mental health help, access to drug treatment centers and hospitals, public transportation excetera. Instead you try to say that Democratic policies have made those cities poor while failing to understand the population who lives there.
so the hedge fund managers in Greenwich, we’re successful because CTs high taxes gave them good public services

CT has wealthy residents. The state is beyond bankrupt, and therefore can’t afford to do anything for
anybody. Paul, ask someone who has worked for DCF for 30 years, about all the services that have been cut.

we spend tax dollars to
enrich unions. everyone else falls through the cracks. take a stroll
through Bridgeport some day and tel me about how much better off morbid, thanks to our high taxes.

The state of CT has wealthy residents. The state itself, is circling the drain. Many liberal states are in horrible financial shape. You can’t help anyone, when you’re broke.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:07 PM   #162
PaulS

The richest states are primarily run Democrats. The poorest states are primarily run by Republicans. The richest counties are primarily in Democratic states. The poorest counties are primarily and Republican states.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:08 PM   #163
Pete F.
Canceled

House Republicans have introduced the Leaker Accountability Act, making Supreme Court leaks punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

They've not introduced a single bill combatting the epidemic of gun violence and mass shootings.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:11 AM   #164
Jim in CT

Quote:
The richest states are primarily run Democrats. The poorest states are primarily run by Republicans. The richest counties are primarily in Democratic states. The poorest counties are primarily and Republican states.
correction…the states with the wealthiest residents are run by democrats

CT is a state made up of very wealthy individuals. The state itself, is bankrupt, drowning in debt, cutting vital services to the needy to enrich their union masters.

Do you understand the difference between a state government, and the people who live in the state?

TN has no state income tax. Yet they have massive surpluses, so
much so, that tuition at community colleges is free to state residents.

CT has insane income taxes ( and many other taxes that TN doesn’t have), yet we will
never, ever be able to offer such a perk.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:32 AM   #165
PaulS

and yet the average salary in CT is much higher, there is less crime and a better education system than Tenn.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:01 AM   #166
Pete F.
Canceled

I thought I heard that CT was broke?

Gov. Ned Lamont disclosed Connecticut’s projected fiscal reserves exceed $7 billion.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-01-2022, 08:02 AM   #167
Jim in CT

Quote:
and yet the average salary in CT is much higher, there is less crime and a better education system than Tenn.
better education system, if you can afford it. You always leave that part out.

and to the lousy cities in TN, is that the fault of the state? or the fault of the people who run the cities?

My brother lived in Franklin, which is every bit as nice as, say, Avon CT. Insane public schools, beautiful little town. No income tax. And free tuition at the states community colleges.

So can you please point me to a town in CT, that offers a similar quality of life as Franklin TN, with no state income tax, and free tuition at community colleges?

I’ll wait.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 06-01-2022 at 08:08 AM..
Old 06-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #168
PaulS

another interesting fact - GDP per capita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itories_by_GDP

The richest (and best educated) states are primarily run by Democrats. The poorest states are primarily run by Republicans. The richest counties are primarily in Democratic states. The poorest counties are primarily in Republican states.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #169
Jim in CT

Quote:
another interesting fact - GDP per capita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itories_by_GDP

The richest (and best educated) states are primarily run by Democrats. The poorest states are primarily run by Republicans. The richest counties are primarily in Democratic states. The poorest counties are primarily in Republican states.
You keep saying the same thing "blue states have wealthier citizens on average". I keep saying I agree with you, so I have no idea why you keep saying the same ting, I don't know who or what youre responding to.

I've asked you many times what liberalism has done to make those citizens more successful, and you keep responding with "blue states are wealthier."

We both know that means you can't think of a reason why liberalism results in wealth. Because it doesn't. If it did, the state governments of the blue states would be in great shape, and they aren't.

And for the second time, when wealthy americans leaned right, you all said that was a bad thing, a sign of what was wrong with the GOP. Now that wealthy people are liberals, all of a sudden it's a good thing to attract the wealthy.

TN has very poor towns. But the state (meaning the state government) literally has more money than they know what to do with, so they offer free community college tuition.

CT has a ton of very wealthy residents, yet the state can't pay its bills.

Lemme guess your response..."CT is wealthier than TN".

except it's not. The residents of CT are far wealthier than the residents of TN. The state of CT is a lot less wealthy than the state of TN. Despite taking far more money from its citizenry, the state of CT is in far worse shape.

Funny you won't comment on that.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #170
PaulS

a state is made up of its citizens. A state is not a person. I could care less if you think the "wealth" of a state is based on how much $ the state has in the bank. I'm more concerned w/how healthy the citizens are or how long they live or their access to good mental health services, or any other fact that impacts people and their lives on a day to day basis. When you look at those the R led states fall down.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:50 AM   #171
PaulS

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wesleyw...h=6c03851965b9

https://www.ct.edu/PACT?gclid=EAIaIQ...SAAEgJxvfD_BwE

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...2020-semester/

WTNH) — Connecticut State Colleges and Universities announced Thursday that the Board of Regents for Higher Education will again be funding a free community college program for the fall 2021 semester.

BOR has allocated $3-million in one-time funding to launch the Pledge to Advance Connecticut (PACT).

“PACT is Connecticut’s tuition and fee-free community college program. The BOR’s action is expected to cover PACT scholarships for eligible students for the fall 2020 semester, but additional state funding would be required for the program to continue in the spring,” CSCU said Thursday.

To qualify, you must be a first-time, full-time student who has graduated from a Connecticut high school. Candidates must fill out a FAFSA and apply and register by July 15.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #172
Jim in CT

Quote:
a state is made up of its citizens. A state is not a person. I could care less if you think the "wealth" of a state is based on how much $ the state has in the bank. I'm more concerned w/how healthy the citizens are or how long they live or their access to good mental health services, or any other fact that impacts people and their lives on a day to day basis. When you look at those the R led states fall down.
so what does this say to you about our state government.

we have some of the highest tax rates in the nation, applied to some of the highest incomes in the nation. That necessarily means, we have the state government a ton of money. They spent all that.

Then we got the casinos, which in good years,, gave hundreds of millions of dollars to the state. And they spent all
that.

Then because that wasn’t enough, the state borrowed tens of thousands of dollars for every person living here, and they spent all that.

And what do we have to show for it? What can i get here, that I can’t get in a nice suburb of NH, or in a well run place like Franklin TN?

Nothing. I get nothing from the state, that i wouldn’t get if i lived in a other state with lower taxes.

What i get, is a public university in CT that’s way more expensive than what’s available in other places with lower taxes.

If you’re a multi millionaire, CT is a better place. And probably if you want state welfare, Ct is a better place.

But for everyone in between, please tell me what CT offers, that you can’t get ( cheaper) in a well run suburb of NH or TN or SC?

What’s our value proposition? Abortions?
Old 06-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #173
PaulS

This article is especially interesting in that one party seems to be against free tuition - any idea which party that was?

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...n-12720739.php
Old 06-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #174
Jim in CT

Quote:
This article is especially interesting in that one party seems to be against free tuition - any idea which party that was?

we can’t begin to afford it. TN can, that have big surpluses most years. we dont.

What part of “we’re broke”, exactly, don’t CT democrats understand?
Old 06-01-2022, 09:00 AM   #175
Jim in CT

Quote:

I’m also no fan of the CT GOP.

i commented directly on your article. Any chance you can do the same?

Here, our u funded debt at the end of 2021 was estimated at about 100 billion. That’s 33,333 for every human being i. the state ( assuming we all pay taxes, which we don’t.). That’s an additional $133,333 for every family if 4, on top of current taxes.

What’s your take on that?

https://ctexaminer.com/2021/12/14/co...se-to-covered/
Old 06-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #176
PaulS

You were big on touting free tuition in TN. I showed that we have free tuition in CT and now you're dismissing it along with many other stats that show people in CT lead better lives than people in TN.

You win.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #177
Jim in CT

Quote:
You were big on touting free tuition in TN. I showed that we have free tuition in CT and now you're dismissing it along with many other stats that show people in CT lead better lives than people in TN.

You win.
TN has more than enough surplus funds, to pay for it. As I showed, we don't.

I'm not dismissing free tuition in CT. I'm saying we can't come close to affording it, and you didn't offer a syllable to suggest otherwise.

TN has no state income tax, it offers free tuition at its community colleges, and this year it is projecting a 3.4 billion surplus.

https://www.timesnews.net/news/state...6f8c55532.html

CT, I think, is projecting a very big surplus for this year. But we have unfunded debt of $100 billion.

I get that you're not going to comment on anything that criticizes CT or praises anything about TN. We can be done.

I know what's coming in this state. Do you?
Old 06-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #178
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i don’t equate leadership with using the deaths of kids to engage in political demagoguery.

you know what he’s going to say, and you’re going to say he’s wrong.

we get it.
Speaking of political demagoguery

Powerful words from Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas:

"There has been a great deal of false and misleading information in the aftermath of this tragedy. Some of the information came from the very highest levels of government and law enforcement. Sources that Texans once saw as iron-clad and completely reliable have now been proven false. This false information has exacerbated ill-informed speculation which has, in turn, created a hotbed of unreliability when it comes to finding the truth. The truth we all can trust.
For this reason, we believe that a strong independent investigation by the US Department of Justice with assistance from the FBI will discover what really happened, thus helping agencies everywhere to understand how best to stop a similar compounded tragedy from happening again."

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #179
wdmso

Texas officials: Teacher didn’t leave door propped open before massacre

Seems Easier to blame a grooming woke teacher then taking the time and finding the actual Truth .. 1st?

Not following why this shooting narrative has become so confused?

Who or what were they trying to protect? And Why?
Old 06-02-2022, 05:33 AM   #180
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Speaking of political demagoguery

Powerful words from Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas:

"There has been a great deal of false and misleading information in the aftermath of this tragedy. Some of the information came from the very highest levels of government and law enforcement. Sources that Texans once saw as iron-clad and completely reliable have now been proven false. This false information has exacerbated ill-informed speculation which has, in turn, created a hotbed of unreliability when it comes to finding the truth. The truth we all can trust.
For this reason, we believe that a strong independent investigation by the US Department of Justice with assistance from the FBI will discover what really happened, thus helping agencies everywhere to understand how best to stop a similar compounded tragedy from happening again."

There’s nothing False about the timeline & the reports of all the cell phone calls made while the cops stood around doing nothing while this nutcase continued to slaughter kids.
You want to fix the problem with school shootings, end gun free zones & give schools the same protection government buildings get.

LETS GO BRANDON