Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #31
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Wow, someone reads what I post!
yes, I'll agree with DK and Black Flag but to me the clash evolved a lot from just punk. Love the ramones, but they're not a diverse band. same with sex pistols
the Clash's album London Calling, contains reggae, ska, rockabilly, rock, punk rock, etc. They were very influential in bridging the gap from punk to mainstream and blending styles. Thats why I think they're, imho, a massive post punk band. There are no, zero, punk bands that headlined major stadiums. The Clash did. I stick with my opinion

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

n August and September 1979, The Clash recorded London Calling. Produced by Guy Stevens, a former A&R executive who had worked with Mott the Hoople and Traffic, the double album was a mix of punk rock, reggae, ska, rockabilly, traditional rock and roll and other elements possessed of an energy that had hardly flagged since the band's early days and more polished production.[44][45] It is regarded as one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded.[46] Its final track, a relatively straightforward rock and roll number sung by Mick Jones called "Train in Vain", was included at the last minute and thus did not appear in the track listing on the cover. It turned out to be their first US Top 40 hit, peaking at number 23 on the Billboard chart. In the UK, where "Train in Vain" was not released as a single, London Calling's title track, stately in beat but unmistakably punk in message and tone, rose to number 11—the highest position any Clash single reached in the UK before the band's break-up. London Calling reached number 9 on the British chart and number 27 on the US chart. The cover of the album, based on the cover of Elvis Presley's self-titled 1956 debut LP, became one of the best known in the history of rock.[43] Its image of Simonon smashing his bass guitar was later cited as the "best rock 'n roll photograph of all time" by Q magazine.[42] During this period, The Clash began to be regularly billed as "The Only Band That Matters". Musician Gary Lucas, then employed by CBS Records' creative services department, claims to have coined the tagline.[47] The epithet was soon widely adopted by fans and music journalists.[48]

Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #33
Slingah

Jimmy...you have the intent of the thread correct....
POST punk....
I hate term New wave, which is to me a more Pop/ commercial grouping.....some of the bands in here I'd call new wave. Kind of like the difference between heavy metal and hair bands.

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #34
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Punk rock is a rock music genre that developed between 1974 and 1976 in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia. Rooted in garage rock and other forms of what is now known as protopunk music, punk rock bands eschewed the perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. They created fast, hard-edged music, typically with short songs, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY (do it yourself) ethic, with many bands self-producing their recordings and distributing them through informal channels.

By late 1976, bands such as the Ramones, in New York City, and the Sex Pistols and The Clash, in London, were recognized as the vanguard of a new musical movement. The following year saw punk rock spreading around the world, and it became a major cultural phenomenon in the United Kingdom. For the most part, punk took root in local scenes that tended to reject association with the mainstream. An associated punk subculture emerged, expressing youthful rebellion and characterized by distinctive styles of clothing and adornment and a variety of anti-authoritarian ideologies.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #35
Slingah

BuZzcocks

Live at Leeds
Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #36
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Punk rock is a rock music genre that developed between 1974 and 1976 in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia. Rooted in garage rock and other forms of what is now known as protopunk music, punk rock bands eschewed the perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. They created fast, hard-edged music, typically with short songs, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY (do it yourself) ethic, with many bands self-producing their recordings and distributing them through informal channels.

By late 1976, bands such as the Ramones, in New York City, and the Sex Pistols and The Clash, in London, were recognized as the vanguard of a new musical movement. The following year saw punk rock spreading around the world, and it became a major cultural phenomenon in the United Kingdom. For the most part, punk took root in local scenes that tended to reject association with the mainstream. An associated punk subculture emerged, expressing youthful rebellion and characterized by distinctive styles of clothing and adornment and a variety of anti-authoritarian ideologies.
whooooah....Dad pulls out the guns...

I always thought of the Ramones to be sort of a novelty act....not really punk....they were great though

Live at Leeds
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
fishbones

The Clash are definitely punk. I always thought punk was more about the attitude than the actual sound of the music. The Clash played rebelious music with attitude. They were anti-government, anti-law enforcement, etc...

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #38
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I posted the Dead Kennedys on other post. I did like them but TBH punk gives me a headache after a while then and now a days. Small quantities is how I like it and after that thread I will go back to my old folks music.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #39
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingah View Post
whooooah....Dad pulls out the guns...

I always thought of the Ramones to be sort of a novelty act....not really punk....they were great though
The Ramones are regarded as the FIRST punk rock band.
Its their baby. England picked up on it and people think its a british thing.

And BTW - you guys are all dumb, I still dont consider the clash punk

Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #40
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

I can't argue the dumb comment, but I would say that The MC5 or Iggy and The Stooges predate the Ramones and could be considered punk. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. The Ramones were the first band to be called punk in a magazine, but it doesn't mean they were the first punk band. To me, punk is just as much attitude as it is music. Some people consider one of my favorite bands, Motorhead to be punk.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #41
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I actually consider Motorhead to be punk! serioulsy

All kidding aside - read this article. Im not as dumb as I seem

Why were the Clash so well-positioned to take punk rock beyond punk rock? This will strike some ears as heresy, but the first reason is simple: The Clash weren't a punk rock band. Joe Strummer had fronted a group called the 101ers, a pub-rock outfit more in the tradition of Dr. Feelgood or Brinsley Schwartz than the New York Dolls or the Stooges.

read the whole thing - The Clash: less punk than you think. - By Stephen Metcalf - Slate Magazine

Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #42
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I posted the Dead Kennedys on other post. I did like them but TBH punk gives me a headache after a while then and now a days. Small quantities is how I like it and after that thread I will go back to my old folks music.
your out of your element here and it shows....beat it

Live at Leeds
Old 01-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #43
fishbones

Quote:
I actually consider Motorhead to be punk! serioulsy

All kidding aside - read this article. Im not as dumb as I seem

Why were the Clash so well-positioned to take punk rock beyond punk rock? This will strike some ears as heresy, but the first reason is simple: The Clash weren't a punk rock band. Joe Strummer had fronted a group called the 101ers, a pub-rock outfit more in the tradition of Dr. Feelgood or Brinsley Schwartz than the New York Dolls or the Stooges.

read the whole thing - The Clash: less punk than you think. - By Stephen Metcalf - Slate Magazine
Thats the opinion of the writer of that article. I always thought that a lot of their persona as a band was a bit contrived, but they still had the "punk" attitude.

Punk Bands | Punk.tv

And I always considered Motorhead to be more punk or just rock and roll than heavy metal. They even did a real punk cover of "God Save The QUeen" years ago.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #44
Slingah

Quote:

open mouth insert foot
I take it back...the Ramones are punk....
and to regain some cred....I can say I personally met them back in the day

Live at Leeds
Old 02-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #45
rphud
GrandBob

anyways...back to "post punk"

yeah, she is the absolute worst lip sync in recorded history, but think how much cocaine it took to get that bad and she lived to tell about it (look for #^&#^&#^&#^& clarks new years eve, she just stopped and stared at the camera for twenty seconds and then walked off stage with the track playing right through and the band kept "playing" with their eyes all bugged out)

actually, it's The Cahs (and they were wicked awesome!)

Last edited by rphud; 02-10-2011 at 04:27 PM..
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #46
Fishracks

The Violent Femmes

Fishracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #47
Fishracks

Just one more, Classic

Fishracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #48
rphud
GrandBob

Blister is definitely a classic of that time

These guys are probably the most underated/forgotten bands of all time

these guys did quite well in the post punk era (the complete opposite status of XTC)

and then there is the one hit wonder classic of the day (I want a doctor to take your picture so I can look at you from inside as well)

and same/same (the first MTV broadcast music video)

IMHO, post punk is "New Wave" and the golden age of music videos
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #49
rphud
GrandBob

speaking of underrated and forgotten, well maybe just here and not in the UK

and our college theme song

think Graham was unhappy with their old label?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #50
rphud
GrandBob

Plus the Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Rockpile thing. Two pretty good singer/songwriters together and separately

Last edited by rphud; 02-11-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #51
rphud
GrandBob

A slightly different take on the same subject