Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #121
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Banned no, but plans to regulate the sale were proposed last year.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Ever hear of buying a little at a time?
Regulation, the next best thing to banning by Big G.
Trust me where there is a will there will always be a way.
Trains, planes and automobiles.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #122
ReelinRod

Quote:
Under the Assault Weapons ban they both were.

Don't you have even a basic understanding of the simple functions of mechanical objects?

-spence
Functionally they are identical, that's why the "Assault Weapons Ban" was a farcical useless law that only banned cosmetic items.

Legally, only one of those semi-automatic rifles was deemed an "Assault Weapon" . . . Under the 1994 law the criteria was if a semi-automatic rifle was able to accept detachable magazines and had two or more of the following components:
A) Folding or telescoping stock
B) Pistol grip
C) Bayonet mount
D) Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
E) Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those which are mounted externally)
The top photo is a non-assault weapon AR-15 (post-ban) with a detachable magazine and was legally offered for sale during the "Assault Weapons ban" because it WAS NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON! One could also buy extended mags that were manufactured before Sept 13, 1994 for this rifle and be compliant with the "Assault Weapons Ban".

The bottom picture is a AR-15 that was considered an "Assault Weapon" between Sept 13, 1994 and Sept 13, 2004.

Now, federally, neither are.

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #123
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelinRod View Post
Functionally they are identical, that's why the "Assault Weapons Ban" was a farcical useless law that only banned cosmetic items.

Legally, only one of those semi-automatic rifles was deemed an "Assault Weapon" . . . Under the 1994 law the criteria was if a semi-automatic rifle was able to accept detachable magazines and had two or more of the following components:
A) Folding or telescoping stock
B) Pistol grip
C) Bayonet mount
D) Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
E) Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those which are mounted externally)
The top photo is a non-assault weapon AR-15 (post-ban) with a detachable magazine and was legally offered for sale during the "Assault Weapons ban" because it WAS NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON! One could also buy extended mags that were manufactured before Sept 13, 1994 for this rifle and be compliant with the "Assault Weapons Ban".

The bottom picture is a AR-15 that was considered an "Assault Weapon" between Sept 13, 1994 and Sept 13, 2004.

Now, federally, neither are.
I think there is an echo in here. Well put!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #124
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Conservatives are a fearing bunch. I don't mean to be condescending but it's been my observation in life that the serious conservatives I have met in my life had serious fear issues with things that they don't understand. They need to have control over their reality and to do so usually involves a rigid religious life, while disagreeing with and meddling with the lives of others that do not jive with theirs. Because of the fobias that conservatives have to battle on a daily basis, gun ownership, and more importantly, powerful guns help them sleep better at night. Generally, the less intelligent ones own more firepower. No homos or Muslims are gonna break into their house and get away with it ��

Ok that was a little condescending.

Maybe the ignoramous' that didn't make it out of the 8th grade fear everything he/she doesn't understand, but the conservatives have a lot in common with you and many others, that is, less rules(we have enough, less government intervention)

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #125
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
I see, so an armed Jewish ghetto would have beaten back the Nazi opposition? That doesn't seem very plausible, it would have just meant a few more dead Nazis.

-spence
But at least the jews would have died standing up!

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #126
Nebe

Yep.. What's that saying?? I'd rather die standing up than spend a lifetime on my knees?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #127
Raven

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Absolutely, there are many ways to kill if a terrorist chooses, for example
Timothy Mc Veigh. Should fertilizer be banned too?
when i was a driller in the rock quarry i was always impressed
with how small a nitrates charge was needed for the amount of
rock it moved.... on each shot....

so yes, it needs to be regulated enough that anyone buying large quantities better be a farmer....
with ready fields he's spreading them in... and NOT another Timothy
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #128
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

My point being crazies and terrorists usually plan these attrocities way
ahead of time and can stock pile things as they go without detection.

I agree a strange or unknown person buying a large quanity in a farm store
should be reported,but there are so many ways to skin a cat that all the bans
and regulations in the world won't stop an evil person/persons bent on mass destruction.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #129
JohnnyD

Quote:
My point being crazies and terrorists usually plan these attrocities way
ahead of time and can stock pile things as they go without detection.

I agree a strange or unknown person buying a large quanity in a farm store
should be reported,but there are so many ways to skin a cat that all the bans
and regulations in the world won't stop an evil person/persons bent on mass destruction.
I agree with one thing Obama said (I paraphrase): "We cannot defend against and prevent every incident that may bring harm to the American People."
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #130
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I agree with one thing Obama said (I paraphrase): "We cannot defend against and prevent every incident that may bring harm to the American People."
Agree JD, however, as much as it's been beat to death, guns no matter what
the bans or regulations are, will always be in the hands of terrorists and criminals
to the detriment of law abiding citizens.
The very first thing you hear,mostly by the far left, after one of these tradgedys is, "guns need to be banned."
Well we have a Constitution that doesn't agree.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #131
Pete F.
Canceled

In the past 100 years 3207 people have been killed by terrorist attacks in the continental United States. More than 622,000 soldiers have been killed in Wars protecting our freedom in that same time. Are our rights that were fought for so hard and at such a price to be written off so casually?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #132
spence

Quote:
Ever hear of buying a little at a time?
Like Steve McQueen with the sand in the pants?

-spence
Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #133
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

LOL Spence, good one.
He was in no hurry, I think he was in for life.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #134
spence

Quote:
LOL Spence, good one.
He was in no hurry, I think he was in for life.
Too bad he got shot in the end, but the motorcycle chase is a classic.

-spence
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #135
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

He didn't get shot in the end....it ends with him bouncing the ball against the wall of his cell

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #136
JohnnyD

Quote:
Under the Assault Weapons ban they both were.

Don't you have even a basic understanding of the simple functions of mechanical objects?

-spence
Quote:
Since you say that "under the assault weapon ban they both were", then you tell us what two features in the above list are on the top-pictured gun. If you can't, then under the AWB, it is not an 'assault weapon' - plain and simple.
Are going to let us know why both those pictured rifles would be 'assault weapons' under the AWB or just gloss over it because yet another one of holier-than-thou remarks was inappropriate due to you being incorrect?

I'll give you a hint: having a magazine and a synthetic stock to make it black and scary looking doesn't actually make a rifle an assault weapon, as defined in the federal AWB.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #137
spence

Quote:
Are going to let us know why both those pictured rifles would be 'assault weapons' under the AWB or just gloss over it because yet another one of holier-than-thou remarks was inappropriate due to you being incorrect?

I'll give you a hint: having a magazine and a synthetic stock to make it black and scary looking doesn't actually make a rifle an assault weapon, as defined in the federal AWB.
I didn't even look at the pictures

-spence
Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #138
JohnnyD

Quote:
I didn't even look at the pictures

-spence
That's as close to a "JohnnyD, you were right" as I'll get... so I'll take it.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #139
Nebe

What exactly is the definition of "assault rifle"??
Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #140
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Depends on who is defining.
In WW1 it was a Springfield
In WW2 it was a M16
Since Vietnam it is an AR15 style, AR stands for assault rifle.
Many servicemen used similar types to their service rifles for hunting after they spent years carrying them.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #141
Nebe

IMO, the ban should be on full automatic rifles. That makes sense. It should end there.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #142
JohnnyD

Quote:
Here you go. It's not perfect but pretty damn close...
It's an image but I'm going to post just the link to avoid having the huge image screw up the forum.

Common Misconceptions: Assault Rife, Assault Weapon
Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #143
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
IMO, the ban should be on full automatic rifles. That makes sense. It should end there.
They are pretty much banned or at least tightly controlled.
In order to get a permit for a fully automatic firearm, you pay $250 there is an extensive background check by the FBI and a few other hoops and then you can buy one, Want two, do it all over again. And you get to pay yearly.
Now I would guess that a good gunsmith can make an auto out of a semi fairly easily, but the BATF don't fool around with people who don't play by the rules.
And probably on the worldwide illegal arms market you can buy a truckload of automatics if you know who to talk to.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #144
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
They are pretty much banned or at least tightly controlled.
In order to get a permit for a fully automatic firearm, you pay $250 there is an extensive background check by the FBI and a few other hoops and then you can buy one, Want two, do it all over again. And you get to pay yearly.
Now I would guess that a good gunsmith can make an auto out of a semi fairly easily, but the BATF don't fool around with people who don't play by the rules.
And probably on the worldwide illegal arms market you can buy a truckload of automatics if you know who to talk to.
I believe it's $200 for the National Firearms Act tax stamp, and you can only but pre-ban (I think it's 1986) automatic weapons. This tax is only paid *once* per transfer. Also, they can only be purchased through a licensed SOT vendor and have to be sold back to a licensed vendor. There is no ability for the legal private sale of any automatic weapons.
National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #145
spence

Quote:
That's as close to a "JohnnyD, you were right" as I'll get... so I'll take it.
I was just joking.

My understand is that the ban wasn't on the current state of the weapon but if it could be modified to meet the conditions of the law. So taking off the flash suppressor and changing the stock wouldn't change an AR 15's legal status under the AWB.

-spence
Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #146
JohnnyD

Quote:
I was just joking.

My understand is that the ban wasn't on the current state of the weapon but if it could be modified to meet the conditions of the law. So taking off the flash suppressor and changing the stock wouldn't change an AR 15's legal status under the AWB.

-spence
Your understanding is incorrect. It is on the current components on the rifle. If you take the pistol grip off, a collapsible stock can be put on. Replace the threaded barrel with one that doesn't have threads and you can put a grenade launcher on.

Take a look at the image I posted at 12:38 for more details.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #147
spence

Quote:
Your understanding is incorrect. It is on the current components on the rifle. If you take the pistol grip off, a collapsible stock can be put on. Replace the threaded barrel with one that doesn't have threads and you can put a grenade launcher on.

Take a look at the image I posted at 12:38 for more details.
Fair enough.

But for the sake of discussion, adding a flash suppressor or folding stock to a base AR 15 changes more than it's appearance, it change it's function.

There are plenty of things that while legal on their own are illegal when combined.

-spence
Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #148
JohnnyD

Quote:
Fair enough.

But for the sake of discussion, adding a flash suppressor or folding stock to a base AR 15 changes more than it's appearance, it change it's function.

There are plenty of things that while legal on their own are illegal when combined.

-spence
Neither of them change the actual function of the firearm - pull trigger, a single round comes out the barrel, pull trigger again and another single round comes out. To quote one of your own comments "Don't you have even a basic understanding of the simple functions of mechanical objects?"

Neither make a rifle deadlier. Also, having only a flash suppressor or only a folding stock was perfectly legal even under the AWB.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #149
spence

Quote:
Neither make a rifle deadlier. Also, having only a flash suppressor or only a folding stock was perfectly legal even under the AWB.
Yes, but not both. And I'd certainly argue that they do make the rifle deadlier.

I'd agree that legislation on the basis of degrees is tricky and it may not be the best method. But there is purpose to said modifications beyond just the visual.

-spence
Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #150
JohnnyD

Quote:
Yes, but not both. And I'd certainly argue that they do make the rifle deadlier.

I'd agree that legislation on the basis of degrees is tricky and it may not be the best method. But there is purpose to said modifications beyond just the visual.

-spence
If you'd argue that they make the rifle deadlier, how so exactly?

You're right not both. My point is that if individually they aren't dangerous and scary enough to completely outlaw, what is the *measurable* difference that makes them cumulatively dangerous enough to outlaw when utilized at the same time. Especially when you consider that a grenade launcher is allowed as long as it's not combined with a bayonet lug.

The people that try to regulate these guns, for the most part, have no idea what they're talking about. They create laws based on fear and image as opposed to actual data-backed metrics. Hell, the FBI's own data says that in 2009 handguns are used 18 times as often as rifles. Expanded Homicide Data - Crime in the United States 2009