Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Well that was unsurprising

Several people shot including US Congressman at a baseball practice for upcoming Reps -v- Dems annual baseball game

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/14/politi...ing/index.html

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
PaulS

Horrible. Hope everyone is ok. Glad they got the guy.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Horrible. Hope everyone is ok. Glad they got the guy.
Agreed 100%, good post.

I think the media, and Hollywood, needs to dial back the hate-filled hysteria, quite a bit. 99% of us can listen to that without being driven to snap, but some people are unstable. It serves no purpose.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
JohnR

Shooter, ID's, died from his wounds. Early reporting is victims are recovering.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
buckman

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1123509]Agreed 100%, good post.

I think the media, and Hollywood, needs to dial back the hate-filled hysteria, quite a bit. 99% of us can listen to that without being driven to snap, but some people are unstable. It serves no purpose.[/QUOTE

It appears the Democratic politicians have blood on their hands . The BS needs to stop
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
PaulS

Buckman, you might want to see this post.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...t=gabby&page=3

Post 77
Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

Post 77
Well after the last round of elections, it looks like he was right

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=buckman;1123516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Agreed 100%, good post.

I think the media, and Hollywood, needs to dial back the hate-filled hysteria, quite a bit. 99% of us can listen to that without being driven to snap, but some people are unstable. It serves no purpose.[/QUOTE

It appears the Democratic politicians have blood on their hands . The BS needs to stop
I don't know if I'd go that far.

The last election was between two people who were morally bankrupt reptiles. Here's the difference. I see huge (yuuge?) numbers of influential Republicans, calling Trump out when he acts like a jerk. Megyn Kelly had a huge show on Fox at the time, and she constantly criticized Trump. I don't see people on th eleft similarly calling out Obama for his bitter clingers remark, nor do I see people on the left bashing Hilary for her disgusting depiction of conservatives as racist, sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic, xenophobic deplorables.

Both sides are being divisive, no question. But it's more tolerated on the left, also no question. When was the last time there was a college riot started by conservatives, in an effort to prevent a liberal speaker from speaking?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Pretty sad state of affairs when it takes a violent incident like this, clearly a partisan motivated attack, to seemingly unify the two sides of congress, if only for the day. We can only hope they all reflect and commit themselves to the work on behalf of the American public, not their respective parties.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Pretty sad state of affairs when it takes a violent incident like this, clearly a partisan motivated attack, to seemingly unify the two sides of congress, if only for the day. We can only hope they all reflect and commit themselves to the work on behalf of the American public, not their respective parties.....
Yes. Also a sad state of affairs when they only do this - if only for a day or two - when it is one of their own.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:

Post 77
I clicked on it briefly. Are you saying this is a gun control problem?
Wow
We were told over and over again that Trumps rhetoric was causing violence .... double standards again?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I clicked on it briefly. Are you saying this is a gun control problem?
Wow
We were told over and over again that Trumps rhetoric was causing violence .... double standards again?
Double standard?

You're post in that thread said

"Using the death of a 9 year old to push a political agenda speaks volumes of the class of people we still have in office."

and yet you said here "It appears the Democratic politicians have blood on their hands"

It appears that you are doing in this thread exactly what you complained about in that thread. Did I misunderstand one of the posts?

Isn't that a double standard?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
buckman

Quote:
Double standard?

You're post in that thread said

"Using the death of a 9 year old to push a political agenda speaks volumes of the class of people we still have in office."

and yet you said here "It appears the Democratic politicians have blood on their hands"

It appears that you are doing in this thread exactly what you complained about in that thread. Did I misunderstand one of the posts?

Isn't that a double standard?
Except it is perfectly clear here, already, as to why this man did what he did .
Stop the bull#^&#^&#^&#^&, you know what I mean . You're smarter than that.
Double standard, yes, we all know what you would be saying and the other people on the left would be saying if this had been a Donald Trump supporter doing the shooting . The media would be having an orgasm
When I heard multiple people shot and then I heard that they were Republicans, I knew it wasn't a radical Islamist .
Old 06-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
PaulS

From now on I'll call you DS for double standard as that is what your post is.

So you still haven't pointed out a double standard that I have posted despite my asking a few times. I'm sure I've posted things that could be looked as a DS but you're the one calling people out for it.

It doesn't help when one side demonize the other but the guy must have been mentally deranged.

Last edited by PaulS; 06-14-2017 at 03:44 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:

It doesn't help when one side demonize the other but the guy must have been mentally deranged.
Or maybe the guy believes what Hilary said when she called us deplorable, irredeemable batemongers. Don't judge him to harshly Paul, maybe he's just listening to left wing rhetoric more closely than you are.

If trump is hitler, killing him would be noble, correct?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Gabby was dem as was Kennedy the only congressmen killed on the job, nut jobs with screws loose and guns come unglued from both sides. I think social media and the way news covers this BS, fuels these nut jobs, whether they want their 5 minutes of fame going after a congressman or women, or a dozen of their high school classmates.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Or maybe the guy believes what Hilary said when she called us deplorable, irredeemable batemongers. Don't judge him to harshly Paul, maybe he's just listening to left wing rhetoric more closely than you are.

If trump is hitler, killing him would be noble, correct?
So should I start pulling up quotes by Republicans?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #18
buckman

Quote:
No , it's the NRA's fault
Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Just read that the shooter was a Bernie campaign volunteer.
Shocking 🤔
Old 06-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Gabby was dem as was Kennedy the only congressmen killed on the job, nut jobs with screws loose and guns come unglued from both sides. I think social media and the way news covers this BS, fuels these nut jobs, whether they want their 5 minutes of fame going after a congressman or women, or a dozen of their high school classmates.
Yes, liberals are sometimes the victims of crime. But there is a difference, GS. Watch Foxnews all day. Then watch CNN all day. Then watch MSNBC all day. See how many times you see conservative hosts/guests make Democrats out to be the devil. And see how many times you see liberal hosts/guests claim that conservatives are pure evil. There will be no comparison.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
It's not as rampant or as vile on the right, not from established politicians or TV hosts.

Paul, I don't claim conservatives are perfect, I don't even claim they are right on all the big issues. But there is no comparison when it comes to hate or vitriol. Al Sharpton has his own show in liberal land. What's the right wig equivalent of that, exactly?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #22
PaulS

Our president lied and said he saw Muslims celebrating 9/11 - that is vile. I heard Newt Gingrich blaming the Dems today and I also read where years ago Gingrich told the Republicans to start calling Democrats traitors, pathetic and corrupt. Isn't that vitriol and hypocrisy and if someone crazy to kill a Dem, would it have been bc of what Gingrich said? There are many younger people who vote Dem and I'm sure some of the vile things said by Dems are said by those younger people and when they get older (similiar to Repub ages) they would realize those things aren't appropriate.

Last edited by PaulS; 06-14-2017 at 08:56 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 04:36 AM   #23
buckman

Quote:
Our president lied and said he saw Muslims celebrating 9/11 - that is vile. I heard Newt Gingrich blaming the Dems today and I also read where years ago Gingrich told the Republicans to start calling Democrats traitors, pathetic and corrupt. Isn't that vitriol and hypocrisy and if someone crazy to kill a Dem, would it have been bc of what Gingrich said? There are many younger people who vote Dem and I'm sure some of the vile things said by Dems are said by those younger people and when they get older (similiar to Repub ages) they would realize those things aren't appropriate.
In your honest opinion , how do you think this would be playing out here and in the media if this had been a Trump campaign working shooting democrats ?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
When trump said he saw muslims celebrating, there were all kinds of conservatives criticizing him for saying that. That's the difference, and it's a big difference.

On the left, you have this bullsh*t black lives matter movement that was given a megaphone on tv every night, claiming that cops are the enemy. In the wake of this, we have an unprecendented wave of cop assassinations,

trump also has said on many occasions, that most muslims are good people.

I have no problem blaming dems for this, just as it's absolutely justifiable to blame the left for the cop assassinations. BLM rose from the dung heap on the political left.

Do you ever concede to facts that don't happen to align with your side Paul?

I keep asking this, never get a thoughtful answer. Which side riots when they don't get their way? Which side riots to keep the other side's speakers from speaking?

You, Paul, are very tolerant of other peoples views. The left, as a whole, hates other people's views. Hence obamas bitter counters remark and Hilary's deplorables remark. Was there widespread criticism from the left, of those remarks?

Not to say we don't have jerks on our side, trump is an example. But trump gets criticized for it by many leaders on the right. His jerkiness isn't celebrated, it isn't portrayed as the truth, ,not nearly to the extent that vitriol has become accepted on the left.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #25
Raven

i definitely see Hillary as a Reptile

the donald a duck
Old 06-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #26
Jim in CT

So I go onto Yahoo news just now, and the lead headline says this in huge bold letters:

"Searching For Conscience In Trump's Cabinet".

According to the author, and according to Yahoo, the entire Trump cabinet is devoid of conscience. Dr Ben Carson has no conscience. General Mattis has no conscience.

This is what liberals do. When they get clobbered all over the map, instead of conceding there might be a lesson there to be learned, they claim the other side is evil. Because it's acceptable, even noble, when you lose to evil. It's a lot harder to admit that you lost a fair contest.

So much for toning down the rhetoric.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #27
PaulS

Jim - Did you look at the link I provided to DS?

You started that thread.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim - Did you look at the link I provided to DS?

You started that thread.
Yes I remember.

Paul, conservatives, as a group, don't spend all day telling everyone how evil the other side is (there are some exceptions of course). That's what a huge number of liberals do. When you endlessly tell people that conservatives are evil, you cannot claim to be shocked when some unstable kook believes you and decides to do something about it.

Watch MSNBC in prime time, then watch CNN in prime time, then watch Foxnews in primetime. No comparison. Zip.

The closest thing Fox has to a right wing nut is Sean Hannity. But he has liberal guests on all the time that make him look like the simpleton he is. The 2 biggest cable shows ever were OReilly and Megyn Kelly. Each of them had smart, thoughtful liberals on all the time, and every single night, those hosts would say to liberal guests, "that's a good point". When does that happen at MSNBC or CNN?

All you need to do to see my point, is consider (1) which side engages in violent riots every time something doesn't go their way, or (2) think about how Black Lives Matter came about, and what they have done.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #29
JohnR

It is unfortunate that a lot of these "lone wolfs" are mere lost boys, people with troubles, maybe a little or a lot disturbed. Maybe the will and loose canon is enough to do the deed and the reason/ideology (BLM/Bernie/Trump/News Media) are just the target selection.

We all know people we would be hesitant to give a machete or gun, or let drive a car, or dispense meds.

It is getting worse with the instant and round the clock outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
In your honest opinion , how do you think this would be playing out here and in the media if this had been a Trump campaign working shooting democrats ?
Just wait, in this environment it will happen.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #30
wdmso

Here we go again another attack and people are calling him deranged No he's a terrorist . And now This am Potus tweets about the investigation greatest witch hunt in American history ... and the Dems are talking gun control and the Rep are talking we need our guns base driven politics at their best