Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
CustomMarineProducts
I'm not from here

Country going to Hell

What is wrong with this country??
I have just spent 6 weeks trying to get Dell to honor thier warrantee, and still really have no end in sight.
Today a tried to buy a steering wheel for my Son's Playstation II. I go into Electronics Botique in Warwick, and the guy that is supposed to be helping me is playing Nintendo! He cops an attitude with me because I am bothering him by asking him about the Steering stuff. I figure screw you, and tell the manager on the way out they just lost $150, because of thier piece of #^&#^&#^&#^&e salesperson.
So next I go to Game Stop (in the Christmas tree store lot on rt.2.)
I am checking out and the guy says, "Do you know about our return policy"? No, pray tell me.
"Well, you have 7 days you can exchange that if it doesn't work, but you can't return it" What?? "Yeah, if you don't like it, you can't bring it back., we don't take returns on our accessories." And if it breaks, you have to take it up with the manufacturer!!

What ever happened to customer service?? This country is going to Hell.
CustomMarineProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

what's u mean going? it's been gone along time now. it's all self serve

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
CustomMarineProducts
I'm not from here

When I was a kid, my Father owned a gas station.
When you drove in, they would run out, check you oil, wipe off your headlights, wash your windshield, and check the air in your tires, And if you bought some gas, they'd give you a coffe cup.
I still have some of the Esso coffe cups with the tiger on the front.
Now, they get annoyed with you if you don't use your credit card at the pump and they have to actually count change!! "Oh God I am soooo tired, I have to stand up all day!!"
Old 02-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

and the freakin cash rebates on stuff .. Bought a Magellan GPS. top of the line .. Took a year to get the rebate back ..,, hounding ,hounding, hounding .. They still won't give up the $25 on the extra software I bought ,,,yes .. I jumped threw all the hoops ten times ...yep sent the slips in...good thing I made copies ...yes sent them in again .. They want you to just give up .. To much hassle .. Listen you no good magellan bastards .. Till the end of time I'll chase you ... Only reason I bought that one was because of the great rebate deal .//
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
beachwalker
Below Me

for the most part it is the quality that has disappeared.

warranties are short but not quite as short as the useful life of the computer.

I just purchased an extended warranty for my notebook. It is a Compaq/HP and the screen has a 3 year which has 20 months left
The extended cost $75 and doesn't cover EVERYTHING.

the other night I spoke to 3 different people before I realised I was in INDIA.

shiite is loooong gone IMO.

gotta to be happy to be working the opposite of that issue.

i am not in business if I don't perform.

Estimated useful life doesn't mean a lot anymore. it seems to be warranty reliant and then still you get hassled

right Pete ? it sucks
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
CustomMarineProducts
I'm not from here

When it comes to computers, they are only going to be useful for a few years and then they are out dated. You would think they could make something that could last a lousy 3-5 years. I can't keep this Dell working 3 months!!
If they had half a brain, they would jump and take care of these issues and by being a reputable company that stands behind their product, they could take over the entire market!!
But instead they are to damn worried about the profit margin of this quarter to realize they are screwing themselves along with their customers.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:49 AM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Pete wanna know first hand why it's like that? Cuz people will screw you no matter what it takes to do it.

I been self employed for 14 years now, I've seen it all. I been ripped off, cheated, swindled, de-frauded, and anything else you can think of. If you don't set a non return policy and someone decides they want to send a widget back then they can and you as the business automatically lose. You get stuck with scratched up used stuff that cannot be sold as new legally, and in many cases won't ever be sold and ya might as well throw it out for the bath you will take on it.

Couple examples...company calls and orders 7 portable radios.....set em up, deliver em, bill it etc... Next week they call back and want to return them....what are you going to say if it's only been invoiced and not paid? So ya take em back all scratched up etc, and ya find out the REAL reason they got em was to avoid having to pay YOU for a RENTAL for a special event they had over the weekend.... nice huh?

Get's better than that too but I will stop there.

Not defending the guys you dealt with, but I've had my eyes opened quite a few times in 14 years now

There's alot of people in this world that just plain suck.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
Backbeach Jake

In business, there is no gravity , the world just sucks! If I want to buy something, I have to train the clerk. If it breaks, I have to jump through firey hoops to get it replaced. Bought a Norton anti-virus 'cause the box said it would have a rebate. Open the box for the paperwork and find that the rebate is only good if it's an upgrade. Was I deceived? You betcha! Will I buy another Norton product, not hardly!
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:02 AM   #9
beachwalker
Below Me

SAME thing happened to me Jake

friggin robbery

i guess it is let the buyer beware, always

rely on good old sweat and brains

the only way we can rely on anything much anymore
Old 02-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
Backbeach Jake

Wanna hear the kicker? Friggin program was FREE the next day! All I had to do was buy a tax prep program( was gonna anyway) and the antivirus was FREE! Ya think the clerk coulda said something
Old 02-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #11
CustomMarineProducts
I'm not from here

I have been self -employed since 1987. And yes, I know, I have come across some real scumbags, trying to work me for something free.
BUT, I can honestly say, that a VAST majority of my customers are good hard working people that are willing to pay for what they want. I am not asking for anyone to kiss my butt, I just want the respect that I deserve as a customer.
If someone buys something from me and it doesn't suit what they need, then I want them to feel comfortable with bringing it back to me IN RE-SALEABLE condition. I am happy to give them something else or their money back, what ever works best for them. If someone is such a slimeball as to use my equipment for a trade show and not pay for it, they more than likely will not be in business long enough to be much of a problem. I honestly feel these guys are a minority.
I may not have alot of faith in the goverment or major corporations but, I do believe that the everyday common American is an honest hard working person that only wants a fair shake.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:59 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Backbeach Jake
Bought a Norton anti-virus 'cause the box said it would have a rebate. Open the box for the paperwork and find that the rebate is only good if it's an upgrade. Was I deceived? You betcha! Will I buy another Norton product, not hardly!
Hi, this is Slipknot's wife and after reading this post I wanted to let you know what I have been up against. This has to do with Norton products!!!

I just built a new computer as nothing I saw around was good enough for me. The new computer is a 2.66g with 1 gig memory and a 120 g hard drive. Runs really quick once I had it up and going.

Once I got it running (problems with that but got that all straightened out), I decided to install the Norton products I had purchased. I was able to get the Norton systemworks, firewall and antispam basically for free after the rebate. It was the 2004 version and it basically sucks.

I had tried to put it on my laptop but the system basically stopped. So I figured that with all the memory in the new computer I would not have a problem. YEAH RIGHT..can you believe I actually got a memory warning?

I ended up deleting all programs as I felt that running all the other programs was necessary and the computer ran better already.

I found that my network is still screwed up and it messed with my mail so I am glad that I took it out. I ended up downloading AVG antivirus and Zone alarm - both free and excellent.

Just a heads up..Stick with earlier versions of norton..much better.

Bruce just told me not to write a book so I will stop now.

Have a good night..Melissa

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:18 PM   #13
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

oops,

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:52 AM   #14
beachwalker
Below Me

thanks

I have 2002 and download the updates once in a while
Old 02-10-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

NORTON

Yeah, Mrs Slip, my wife saw the rebates in a Staples flier in September, thought it would be a cheap way to get the 2003 V. which of course (yeah, right) would be an improvement. We've been trying to get our systems straightened out ever since we installed it on all three machines- which took several tries.

Somehow they neglect to tell you about the conflicts the 2002 version causes when you try to uninstall it to install Norton 2003 -fragments of the '02 program get stuck in bizarre places and the only way to remove it completely is to go into your registry and delete 134 lines one by one to get it outta there (this from the Symantec site). And if you make a mistake...well, you get the picture.

We've also done a complete reinstall of the OS on one computer, replacing Win 98 with 2000, too.

Yup, we also have had major network problems ( we have 3 computers and move a lotta big files back and forth), have tried everything to resolve them with no luck, we're now working on a project on a very tight deadline that is being made 10x more difficult than it has to be...yada yada

And then the Linksys went belly up day before yesterday when we tried to install new firmware to get it to reset...and I can't find one for the $39 I've been seeing all winter, cheapest I've found is now $79 - it was my last resort, couldn't figure out what kept causing intermittent dropped connections - and yeah, you name it I've already tried everything I can think of that might be the cause.

Aw, nuts...if ya already got 2002 do what Beachwalker did, just download the updates, and don't even THINK about an uninstall.

Damn, even a good rant isn't helping

Well, it is the GOP forum, right?

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:52 PM   #16
bspice13

Quote:
Originally posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&

Couple examples...company calls and orders 7 portable radios.....set em up, deliver em, bill it etc... Next week they call back and want to return them....what are you going to say if it's only been invoiced and not paid? So ya take em back all scratched up etc, and ya find out the REAL reason they got em was to avoid having to pay YOU for a RENTAL for a special event they had over the weekend.... nice huh?

G [/B]
I remeber when i worked at a local big box sporting goods store we would sell outa tents the end of June and amazingly the week after labor day half of them would leak? Go figure. canoes were the same way bought on Friday returned on Monday scratched up because the customer "didnt like" them
bspice13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #17
Bill L

How about the flip side, company has TOO good a guarantee and people abuse it, like LL Bean. My wife always wants to send something back because it wears out after a normal life span, or she jsut plain gets sick of it
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #18
Bob Senior

Ya'll really want to get a lesson in "the customer as victim," how about #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s boat saga.

Salty, you're a better man than I. I would be in the ACI by now, I'm afraid.

BTW, when I was in the market last year, I ran across some of your early posts. But, after visiting the same place, decided against the unit you bought when I read your comments. I owe you a big debt of gratitude.

...And, NO, I don't wanna buy it!!!
Bob Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #19
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

CHICKEN

23k hits and that thread just keeps going.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Senior

...And, NO, I don't wanna buy it!!!
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #20
RI Popper
Fish "one of God's gifts to us"

Send a message via AIM to RI Popper Send a message via Yahoo to RI Popper
Salty that makes us wonder what you mean by free kindling available. It isn't fiberglass kindling is it

"Fish, just one of God's gifts to us."
RI Popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #21
Backbeach Jake

My next kick in the head came when I downloaded the updates. My box wouldn't get past the desktop. I had to format my freakin' harddrive. I wanna kill killl killl!!!!!