Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
basswipe

Daytona 500

After last weeks Shootout there's a glimmer of hope that maybe restrictor plate racing will get back to something worth watching again.

Will certainly get an idea of how good or bad Sunday's race will be after today's Twin 150 qualifiers.

We'll see.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
tysdad115

I did enjoy watching Gordon go for the roll at the end of the shootout..I only caught the last 10 minutes or so, turned it on at just the right time. It will be intersting to say the least.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
basswipe

The Duels were pretty decent.Sunday's race should be better than it has been in the past few years.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

This is the only reason I would watch 3 hours of left turns!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Danica%20Patrick%20wallpaper%20(10).jpg
Views:	3021
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	50888   Click image for larger version

Name:	So Hot.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	50889  

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
tysdad115

She hit the wall pretty hard yesterday. Completely parallel with inside wall, those safety barriers make quite a difference. In car camera had a great view.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Danica Patrick endures a heavy crash at Daytona, proving her toughness in the process - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports

Tough girl. I hope she runs a good race. I'll probably check it out and honestly she's the only reason I'd watch it.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
basswipe

Tough girl?Not really.Drivers survive because of all the safety precautions and devices that surround them.That same hit 20yrs ago would've put her on a gurney and she'd be so sore she wouldn't be able to walk for a week.

Way too much is being made of her.All her years in Indy cars and she won one rain shortened race because she happened to be out front when it was called.Last year in the Nationwide series if she just finished a race it was national headlines.She's the female version of Dale Jr.,all hype but not much in the way of results.

Over many years its been proven that virtually anyone can win a restrictor plate race,Trevor Bayne and David Ragan are prime recent examples.Few drivers other than Dale Sr. and Jeff Gordon have shown actual true skill in winning restrictor plate races.But if she were to win the 500 her career and legacy would be made,I personally wouldn't mind seeing history made.

I'm curious as to why she would be your only reason to watch the race?You'll only see her at drivers intro and post race interview and she'll have no makeup on and she don't look so hot without the cake on.Other than the extreme rare possibility that she wins there's not much reason to watch unless you enjoy racing.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

the only driver shorter than Mark Martin.
Yes, too much hype she races cars many other women have had racing careers, she's not that good even in good equipment
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Tough girl?Not really.Drivers survive because of all the safety precautions and devices that surround them.That same hit 20yrs ago would've put her on a gurney and she'd be so sore she wouldn't be able to walk for a week.

Way too much is being made of her.All her years in Indy cars and she won one rain shortened race because she happened to be out front when it was called.Last year in the Nationwide series if she just finished a race it was national headlines.She's the female version of Dale Jr.,all hype but not much in the way of results.

Over many years its been proven that virtually anyone can win a restrictor plate race,Trevor Bayne and David Ragan are prime recent examples.Few drivers other than Dale Sr. and Jeff Gordon have shown actual true skill in winning restrictor plate races.But if she were to win the 500 her career and legacy would be made,I personally wouldn't mind seeing history made.

I'm curious as to why she would be your only reason to watch the race?You'll only see her at drivers intro and post race interview and she'll have no makeup on and she don't look so hot without the cake on.Other than the extreme rare possibility that she wins there's not much reason to watch unless you enjoy racing.
You would have soiled your pants if you were in her seat for that crash even with all the new safety gear. I have no idea how her career numbers stack up against the other drivers. Obviously she's a rookie to Nascar but I don't think most of the Nascar field she is competeing against has taken the same path to get where they are. I'm not very knowledgable about all that there is to know about Nascar but her career and how she has risen hrough the ranks is very impressive and succesful regardless of her sex. I'm willing to say 50% of the male drivers she's competing against would love to have had half of her success to date. She's only 29 and look at how many different classes she has raced successfully in. Maybe I need to research some of the other drivers stories more in order to gain more of an enthusiasm for the sport. Although I find I keep coming back to smokin hot brunettes with tight bods as my favorite type of race car driver. Sorry!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

The Top 15 Hottest Female Race Car Drivers | Sub5zero.com
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

I love french women though Angelle Savoie is my all time hottie, strap on a motocycle!!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
basswipe

Quote:
You would have soiled your pants if you were in her seat for that crash even with all the new safety gear.
Been in two massive wrecks one of which I should have lost my right arm.I wasn't in a Nacar race car but other than a seatbelt there were no other safety devices and I was travelling at extreme rate of speed,underwear was clean.I've been at the track and witnessed the deaths of Dale Sr.,Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin.She took her first hit,all drivers do.If you think her hit was bad then check out Gordon's wreck in the Shootout,now that was a hit!

Quote:
Although I find I keep coming back to smokin hot brunettes with tight bods as my favorite type of race car driver. Sorry!
Like I said without the cake on she's actually below average.What you see in commercials and photo spreads is so airbrushed and photoshopped its actually laughable.Like I said all hype and no results.

Quote:
'm not very knowledgable about all that there is to know about Nascar but her career and how she has risen hrough the ranks is very impressive and succesful regardless of her sex. I'm willing to say 50% of the male drivers she's competing against would love to have had half of her success to date. She's only 29 and look at how many different classes she has raced successfully in.
She didn't rise through the ranks as you stated she was handed her Indy ride and especially her Nascar ride on a silver platter.She's had no success.

John Forces' daughters I've met......MarshCappa you want to see real hottie race car drivers I suggest going to the show at Tasca,Ashley's a REAL hottie.

But this whole thread has gone off topic,enough Danika talk cuz god knows its all that's being talked about on Speed etc.The racing as I stated earlier should be better than in previous years.

Last edited by basswipe; 02-24-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Obviously you know way more than me on the racing info. I should have said I would have soiled my pants in that wreck!! I'm still in love so stop ruining it for me!!!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
Obviously you know way more than me on the racing info. I should have said I would have soiled my pants in that wreck!! I'm still in love so stop ruining it for me!!!
Its all good!

7pm tonight.Monday Night Racing........a new concept born?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Clogston29
xxx

happy about the 7 pm start. i thought they'd do noon. wife's working tonight, and daughter goes to bed at 7 pm so i'm all set. Tying leaders and watching racing, not a bad monday night.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
Did you see the interview where she was asking not to be called "sexy" because of it's derrogatory connotation?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

No Spence I missed that interview but I honestly would just hear blah blah blah blah blah. I'm very superficial. I will watch it tonight though and am actually pretty psyched it's on Monday night. Totally off topic here but do they still race at Seekonk? My dad used to run there as a kid in high school and I actually helped a friend convert a car that he raced there in the 90's.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
happy about the 7 pm start. i thought they'd do noon. wife's working tonight, and daughter goes to bed at 7 pm so i'm all set. Tying leaders and watching racing, not a bad monday night.
I'm not bitching about that start time either.Had everyone over yesterday and consumed a whole smoked brisket and many a beers and never saw a race.Now I have some time and can still put something decent together before race time.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Did you see the interview where she was asking not to be called "sexy" because of it's derrogatory connotation?

-spence
i guess its only derrogatory when it doesn't come from from a paid sponsor (the Go Daddy girl asking not to be called sexy, really?).

She's all hype. Haven't seen her do anything impressive in a car yet. She would have been alot better in Nationwide last year with that equipment if she was any good.

She's a cute girl, really nothing special, but because she's the only girl, she becomes hot. As an engineer, I've seen the same thing happen at every company i've worked for whenever a girl who's not completely unattractive gets hired.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
I've seen the same thing happen at every company i've worked for whenever a girl who's not completely unattractive gets hired.
Should have seen it when I was in the Navy....didn't even need to be partly attractive....just needed to be female and have a pulse......would have 1/2 a dozen drunk Squids chasing them around for weeks.......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Redsoxticket

I initially thought the Bud shootout was the 500. I don't know if it was a rebroadcast but what an amazing race
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Matt D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
I initially thought the Bud shootout was the 500. I don't know if it was a rebroadcast but what an amazing race
Yeah, the announcers finally ran out of things to blab about so they replayed last week's Shootout. Love him or hate him, you have to admire the show that little shrub put on. Car was all but wrecked 3 different times and he still pulled out the win. He's far from my favorite, but you have to admit he can drive.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #23
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Should have seen it when I was in the Navy....didn't even need to be partly attractive....just needed to be female and have a pulse......would have 1/2 a dozen drunk Squids chasing them around for weeks.......
Only sailors use condoms, baby. Well, they should, filthy beggars. They go from port to port.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #24
tysdad115

If anyone could pull that off it would have to be JPM...wow.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #25
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Well that was something you don't see every day
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #26
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
That track looks in bad shape not to mention the wall.
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #27
tysdad115

The track is beat, but its NASCAR, gonna get a sheetload of duct tape and some bondo, gunna fix that track on up!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #28
basswipe

Did damn good in the pool.Time to go back to bed.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Gave it a watch last night with my son. I fell asleep after the tanker truck got slammed. Danika getting bumped out in the second lap was pretty funny. I could see myself watching from time to time. Good stuff.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
striperman36
Old Guy

Let's hope the rest of the season isn't as weird as this race was. The cars are on the edge of stability on the superspeedway. Atlanta this year will be very interesting.
I'll DVR the races and watch when I can. I'd still rather fish.