Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #31
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
blame the decline of the american education system and the lack of intiative for the average american. As a result, there are more and more liberals and they have access to outlets like the media and the internet. the dumbing down of america.
I think you discount the parental influences, which allow your above statements to ring true. People seem to be stepping away from liability or their own children and expecting the Village to raise their child. They piss and moan when the schools don't do exactly as they see fit, but at the same token, won't hold responsibility for teaching their own children.

When I was teaching a voluntary afterschool activity for high school kids, if they showed up late or didn't show up at all, there was always an excuse. The parents would send an email or would come in and tell us to excuse their child - my favorite would be the notes we'd receive from doctors, psycs, part-time bosses, and older siblings. There were many times we knew the kid was playing hooky (because their peers would tell us) but then would have a note "Please excuse Jimmy. He had a Dr's appointment."

My long-winded point is that there is a trend of parents not even holding their own children responsible for their actions. When I was young and accidentally broke a neighbors window, I was the one that had to do yard work for them or paint their fence - today, a parent just pays for the window.

I think this all adds to the increasingly litigious state of this country.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I think you discount the parental influences, which allow your above statements to ring true. People seem to be stepping away from liability or their own children and expecting the Village to raise their child. They piss and moan when the schools don't do exactly as they see fit, but at the same token, won't hold responsibility for teaching their own children.

When I was teaching a voluntary afterschool activity for high school kids, if they showed up late or didn't show up at all, there was always an excuse. The parents would send an email or would come in and tell us to excuse their child - my favorite would be the notes we'd receive from doctors, psycs, part-time bosses, and older siblings. There were many times we knew the kid was playing hooky (because their peers would tell us) but then would have a note "Please excuse Jimmy. He had a Dr's appointment."

My long-winded point is that there is a trend of parents not even holding their own children responsible for their actions. When I was young and accidentally broke a neighbors window, I was the one that had to do yard work for them or paint their fence - today, a parent just pays for the window.

I think this all adds to the increasingly litigious state of this country.

agreed, want a new one? I was thinking of posting this and Im sure Fishbones will chime in.....I get a note from daycare, MA passed some requirement that if you're in daycare for more than 4 hrs or eat there, they have to brush the kids teeth. This is becasue of growing tooth decay. WTF !!!! So because some parents dont take care of their kids, we all have to do this? I'll bet any $$$$ it was a liberal who implemented this. So now we have massive flu hysteria and we're going to be having kids swaping spit and using toothbrushes at daycares. F'in nuts!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #33
buckman

Quote:
agreed, want a new one? I was thinking of posting this and Im sure Fishbones will chime in.....I get a note from daycare, MA passed some requirement that if you're in daycare for more than 4 hrs or eat there, they have to brush the kids teeth. This is becasue of growing tooth decay. WTF !!!! So because some parents dont take care of their kids, we all have to do this? I'll bet any $$$$ it was a liberal who implemented this. So now we have massive flu hysteria and we're going to be having kids swaping spit and using toothbrushes at daycares. F'in nuts!
I don't think it's just for day care, Jim
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #34
fishbones

Quote:
Yeah, I got that note, too. Just more of the "since you can't do it for yourself, we'll do it for you" mentality that's prevalent in all aspects of society nowadays. And I'm pretty sure that people like us end up paying for this in one way or another.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
And not exactly a new trend. Been going on for decades. Now, has it increased in the past 15 years? Or is it that "we" are older and more aware / beaten down?
I think that's an influence as politics have always been ugly, but the media age, and especially the influence of the Internet have definitely changed the game significantly.

Disinformation goes viral much, much faster. This consumes the news cycle which is much shorter.

-spence
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
blame the decline of the american education system and the lack of intiative for the average american. As a result, there are more and more liberals and they have access to outlets like the media and the internet. the dumbing down of america.
Idiotic post.

-spence
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #37
fishbones

Typical hit and run potshot post by Spence. Insult someone by saying their post is idiotic, but offer no reason as to why you think so. Why don't you try some of that "critical thinking" that you accuse others for not using. Your act is so transparent and weak that it's getting to the point that it's no longer fun to goad you into arguments.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #38
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Typical hit and run potshot post by Spence. Insult someone by saying their post is idiotic, but offer no reason as to why you think so. Why don't you try some of that "critical thinking" that you accuse others for not using. Your act is so transparent and weak that it's getting to the point that it's no longer fun to goad you into arguments.
when was Spence ever fun???
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #39
JohnnyD

Quote:
This is funny. I haven't put out any ammo for you lately so you've moved onto spence.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #40
spence

Quote:
It was self explanatory, had you applied some critical thinking yourself that would have been apparent

-spence
Old 02-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #41
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

I substitute taught for 3 or 4 years after i retired because i love kids,
thought i had something to offer, and wanted to pay back.
I found the exact same things as you in the public schools and quickly ended up in a private school
because the parents were paying $$$ and really took
an interest in how their kids were doing. Both teachers and kids knew
the parents were behind the school and it was a pleasure to teach there.

In the end the parents are responsible for their kids education.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #42
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Just setting the stage for when they go to elementary school they'll be ready for their on premises dental care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think that's an influence as politics have always been ugly, but the media age, and especially the influence of the Internet have definitely changed the game significantly.

Disinformation goes viral much, much faster. This consumes the news cycle which is much shorter.

-spence
Disinformation cuts both ways. No/Few unbiased sources. Quick disinformation. Makes living in the extreme middle challenging.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #43
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Idiotic post.

-spence
Dont claim something is idiotic simply becuase you dont understand it. So its purely a coincidence that the worst schools, in the worst areas, with the worst students are in primarily democratic areas? Sure.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #44
JohnnyD

Quote:
Dont claim something is idiotic simply becuase you dont understand it. So its purely a coincidence that the worst schools, in the worst areas, with the worst students are in primarily democratic areas? Sure.
Democrats tend to give the most to social services. Just like Republicans tend to give the most to businesses.

Correlation does not prove causation.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #45
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Democrats tend to give the most to social services. Just like Republicans tend to give the most to businesses.

REALLY? So if the need for social services goes away, which one is out of a job?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #46
fishbones

Quote:

Democrats and Republicans both give the most to themselves.

The poor areas vote democrat because the Democrats promise them handouts. I'm simplifying it, but it's a fact.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #47
scottw

politicians like to ask "are you are better off now that you were x number of years ago"...I think it might be a good strategy to go into these areas that the dems have controlled forever and ask "are you better off now than you were 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 years ago?" ....and then remind them about what Obama is eating each night and about Pelosi's booze and food binge flights
Old 02-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #48
JohnnyD

Quote:
Democrats and Republicans both give the most to themselves.

The poor areas vote democrat because the Democrats promise them handouts. I'm simplifying it, but it's a fact.
Essentially what I was getting at.