Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #61
Sea Dangles

I will be out next week Bruce. Will you be on island for a while?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #62
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I will be out next week Bruce. Will you be on island for a while?
No but back out first week of August
Coming home on last ferry tomorrow night

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #63
Guppy
User

Came back one time sitting next to the pilot, chop saw buckled in one seat, table saw in one and tool case in another....

Nice change from the norm over there...

Nice work Bob
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #64
Rmarsh

Flying from NB to work on the Islands was a big time saver, especially when we renovated MV airport terminal.

On nice days, it was amazing looking down at some of the places I have fished, worked and lived. On bad days it was a rough ride, fog was a problem and sometime flights delayed. I remember looking out the window and not seeing the runway....then feeling the tires touch down.

There was a guy I didn't like very much, a real douche bag, and a bully, loved to watch him squirm and sweat when we hit turbulence.
I would tell him "dont worry" " it's over quick if we go down"
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #65
Rmarsh

Another small kitchen going in....painted cabinets are getting chosen over natural or stained wood more often, white and gray in particular.
Flooring will be prefinished oak with a charcoal stain...natural oak not as popular as it once was too.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:55 AM..
Old 07-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #66
Guppy
User

My son used my Titans 440 airless to paint these in the shop after building them...
Also used my software to sell the job.... lights in the uppers and all...

Gone fishin.... LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	319217B7-19AD-4732-97A7-B790219BB5F6.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	66367

Name:	08E9284B-5712-4F47-B972-BFA99320F12F.jpeg
Views:	961
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	66368
Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #67
Rmarsh

Wow! ......took me a minute to realize that the first picture is the rendering of a cad drawing...correct?......so realistic!
Nice work by you guys!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #68
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Wow! ......took me a minute to realize that the first picture is the rendering of a cad drawing...correct?......so realistic!
Nice work by you guys!
Yes... thanks
He even set it up with sun light coming in through the window..
Way more patience than I had for that stuff....
Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #69
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Ya I wish I had similar computer skills as I do cabinetmaking

I still use pencil and paper but it works for me
maybe one day soon they will dumb it down for old fossils like myself to make it easier to use or I will find the time to learn

nice stuff Ray

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #70
Slipknot
Super Moderator

work in progress

maybe I should take more pics next trip over
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabs 1.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	66369   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabs 2.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	66370  

Old 03-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #71
Rmarsh

House is a raised ranch so all the cabinets had to be carried up a looong flight of stairs first thing yesterday morning.....I was tired after that....but recovered quickly and got these installed before lunchtime.
Blue grey...painted cabinets gaining popularity.
Also trending is the stainless steel hood fan over the cooking range....instead of the combination microwave oven/fan.
We install the ductwork for the fan before sheetrock goes up....it has to be placed accurately....to be dead center with the range.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:53 AM   #72
Rmarsh

more in-progress pics....third pic is house next door with white cabinets and gray island cabinets.... manufacturer is Fabuwood

Old 03-26-2021, 04:55 AM   #73
Rmarsh

stairway pics

Old 03-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #74
trevier

Quote:
stairway pics
like the way you mounted the box post. I see some guys do it with it on top of the first tread and to me it looks outta place.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:58 AM   #75
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevier View Post
like the way you mounted the box post. I see some guys do it with it on top of the first tread and to me it looks outta place.

I might not be doing the stair finishing much longer due to advancing arthritis in my hands....buttoning my pants and tying my shoes is painfull enough....I have a co-worker who is ready to take over the job.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #76
Guppy
User

Quote:
stairway pics
Nice job
Tight fit Bob,,, first step to casing and handrail to galley board second floor... someone was thinking.... u must of laid it out for them.... LOL
Old 04-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #77
Rmarsh

Ready for granite countertops.....9' ceiling height...wall cabinets get large crown moulding ...no soffit

Old 04-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #78
redlite

I wish all the departments from your company put as much pride into the quality of their work as you
We are at a house in Westport that BP built 20 yrs ago that is absolute rot disaster. First off they put the hardie plank siding right to the roof on all the dormers instead of a freeze board and didn't treat cut off ends. Also didn't properly step flash. So ends of hardie planks rotted. BP actually came back about 5 hrs ago and cut hardie plank back 2 inches and tucked a piece of flashing under.
Big problem is that the gutters across front of house were angled 1 1/2" in wrong direction away from down spouts. Subsequently for 20 yrs water has been pooling up against the house. Rotted hardie backer. Massive water intrusion behind it all and the sheathing OBS is completely rotted away behind siding.
An unneccasry mess that could have been avoided if had been properly flashed and guys that installed gutters knew how to read a level.
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #79
Rmarsh

Mike....You are not wrong about any of that. A lot of people told me I wouldn't be happy working for them because of my background...I told them they build a crappy house and only thrived because they own the land tracts....i have helped by improving the interior finish... I am compensated well....and no headaches like when I ran my own business

Last edited by Rmarsh; 04-14-2021 at 07:44 AM..
Old 04-15-2021, 05:59 AM   #80
Rmarsh

I owned and operated my own custom home building business for over ten years.
It was a constant struggle.....an 80 hour work week is not unusual... when you have to keep a business running...estimates... job bidding, payroll etc......and a "no days #^&#^&#^&#^& mentality. When you include enough money in the bid to cover every aspect of the job...give the customer good service......pay your employees well....cover all the overhead...insurance....taxes....and more taxes. Lowballers prices will blow you out of the water and customers want you to match the low price or explain why your price is the right one. Getting caught up in the money grab with the government...suppliers...employees...customers...b urned me out.
With this company there is none of that to deal with. Gave me a brand new truck, gas card, cell phone...no headaches...flexible hours...no customers to deal with.......I just do what I do best....finish work.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #81
Rmarsh

keeping our granite installer busy....install one and template another

Old 04-16-2021, 04:25 AM   #82
Rmarsh

started another install yesterday.........color is expresso.....more like a dark paint than a stain

Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #83
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Ready for granite countertops.....9' ceiling height...wall cabinets get large crown moulding ...no soffit
Did 5" crown in a few rooms in our home. What a pain when you have a cathedral ceiling and strange corners. I got it done but had to use my coping saw on every joint.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:47 AM   #84
Rmarsh

Working with a new kitchen cabinet supplier/designer. I like the Fabuwood cabinets he sells.... he is also a very skilled cabinet maker....does some really great custom work in his shop.
But the plan he provided was a little sketchy.....maybe the reason one of my co workers missed the hood vent location by three inches.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:42 AM   #85
Rmarsh

Finished look with the granite and appliances installed on these three.
I have two more in progress....

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:59 AM..
Old 05-11-2021, 07:44 PM   #86
redlite

Lookin good. Seems the over the range micro becomin thing of the past. That is a neat lookin slab on the first island. Wish I owned my own company right now with the amount of work. My boss is gettin frustrated with referall work being told that we cant take on any new work till at least sept as we are so booked and the referrals gettin pissed we too busy like they expect us to be ready at there door the next week. If they knew the cost of materials they would thank us havin to wait. 5/8" sheet of zip sheathing $73 last week. F'n insane
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #87
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Lookin good. Seems the over the range micro becomin thing of the past. That is a neat lookin slab on the first island. Wish I owned my own company right now with the amount of work. My boss is gettin frustrated with referall work being told that we cant take on any new work till at least sept as we are so booked and the referrals gettin pissed we too busy like they expect us to be ready at there door the next week. If they knew the cost of materials they would thank us havin to wait. 5/8" sheet of zip sheathing $73 last week. F'n insane

Thanks Mike....yep all five of these kitchens have the microwave oven in the island.
Owning and running a construction business is very stressful and all time consuming..... imagine having to do estimates and payroll on many nights when you would rather be fishing or spending time with the family and when you present that estimate they act like you are bending them over.......so "be careful what you wish for"
I did it for over ten years......much happier now....my bosses appreciate all that i do....customers can be a huge PIA
Old 05-27-2021, 05:40 AM   #88
Rmarsh

finished look with the granite on these...... exterior shot of the model home... at our new subdivision.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:59 AM..
Old 05-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #89
Hookedagain

Nice looking little house. I'll take a shed dormer over a dog house any day. I also prefer the garage on the right side of the house (No idea why). Theres always a sense of satisfaction when you walk away from a finished project. Nice work as always.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:12 AM   #90
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Nice looking little house. I'll take a shed dormer over a dog house any day. I also prefer the garage on the right side of the house (No idea why). Theres always a sense of satisfaction when you walk away from a finished project. Nice work as always.

Thanks....I like the floor plan on this one.... large master bedroom, master bath and walk in closet on the first floor...two additional bedrooms and bath on second......I hate climbing stairs.

We are done with the five houses on Chicago St......five more under construction in the new subdivision in Westport.

Speaking of stairs......I have turned over the stair finishing job to a very competent co-worker......my arthritic hands are having trouble doing just basic things now.