Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Travis

Obama Administration Healthcare for Vets

Read this on another site...first I heard of this...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...d-health-care/
Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
buckman

I guess if I carry Workmans Comp. on a worker and he gets hurt I'm off the hook for medical expenses. Obama is such an ass.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

that is insane.

no wonder there is such a focus on the great moral tradgedy of AIG. Another step to make business look bad and government look good.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
that is insane.

no wonder there is such a focus on the great moral tradgedy of AIG. Another step to make business look bad and government look good.
Funny how you jump on people for attacking AIG without any facts, yet you're willing to do the same based on a story about an idea that hasn't even been formally proposed.

Talking about the pot calling the kettle black.

-spence
Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
PaulS

I heard Bush had plans drawn up to invade Russia.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

ok Spence and Paul. It was just a face to face meeting with Obama and Emanuel. So not sure how you think this is some wacky rumor. Im pretty sure the attendees know the details.

Commander Rehbein was among a group of senior officials from veterans service organizations joining the President, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki and Steven Kosiak, the overseer of defense spending at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The group's early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part, " There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran's personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable."

Old 03-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
spence

It was being discussed as an option, I'm not disputing that...

But there's really not much known more than that. Yes, once word leaked a number of vet groups and many in Congress got their knickers in a twist, but there's really not much known more than that.

Doesn't sound like a good idea if you ask me, but I'd like to understand what the idea and justification really was.

-spence
Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

those crazy vets, huh spence and paul. You saw Platoon, there probobaly all smokin weed.......

WASHINGTON, DC (March 16, 2009) – The leader of the nation’s largest veterans organization says he is “deeply disappointed and concerned” after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

“It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan,” said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. “He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it.”
The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, “This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ‘… to care for him who shall have borne the battle…’ given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm’s way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America’s veterans!”

Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

http://ourvoice.legion.org/story/144...ill-our-heroes

Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Funny how you jump on people for attacking AIG without any facts, yet you're willing to do the same based on a story about an idea that hasn't even been formally proposed.

Talking about the pot calling the kettle black.

-spence
So we shouldn't discuss this yet, Spence? Do you have inside info that this is not true? Please share it with us. If it's true that they will propose this ( I mean formally propose this) and IMO they will, then I am disgusted by it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
So we shouldn't discuss this yet, Spence? Do you have inside info that this is not true? Please share it with us. If it's true that they will propose this ( I mean formally propose this) and IMO they will, then I am disgusted by it.
That point was just to highlight the double standards that RIJIMMY lives by daily.

Seems they were evaluating it as an option, although I've not read anywhere that it was actually proposed.

Perhaps Gen. Shinseki came up with the idea?

-spence
Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It was being discussed as an option, I'm not disputing that...

But there's really not much known more than that. Yes, once word leaked a number of vet groups and many in Congress got their knickers in a twist, but there's really not much known more than that.

Doesn't sound like a good idea if you ask me, but I'd like to understand what the idea and justification really was.

-spence

uh, no, they had a face to face meeting to disucss this and as a result, the american legion beleives they are moving forward. Maybe it wont move forward, but reality is Spence, Obama is pitching it. Like it or not.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

fact
WASHINGTON, DC (March 16, 2009) – The leader of the nation’s largest veterans organization says he is “deeply disappointed and concerned” after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

fact 2

Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
spence

You just posted the same thing twice and cited it as two facts.

And all this says was that there was a plan, and that someone wasn't happy about it. That doesn't tell me a whole lot.

-spence
Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #16
buckman

John Stewart was pissed. Now so you know it's no rumor.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
PaulS

All it was was a discussion. No different than drawing up contingency plans to invade Russia. It doesn't mean it was going to be implemented. No one said it was a rumor (other than you). Shouldn't he have discussions on things and hear both sides to the arguement b/f proposing things? All that hate inside you is going to cause you to get sick.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
All it was was a discussion. No different than drawing up contingency plans to invade Russia. It doesn't mean it was going to be implemented. No one said it was a rumor (other than you). Shouldn't he have discussions on things and hear both sides to the arguement b/f proposing things? All that hate inside you is going to cause you to get sick.
you are pretty much the definition of a "mindless drone"
How many bad ideas has Obama proposed in the last 2 months? I lost count. The fact that this was discussed should have you appalled. But you are a drone, henceforth refferred to as an "O-bot"

and after years on this site and personally one of the reasons there is a political site, this is my first direct personal insult. Congrats.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #19
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
John Stewart was pissed. Now so you know it's no rumor.

This SHOULD be a non starter yet "the plan" getting bandied about. Has the disconnect between the general population and the military and vets grown THAT wide?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #20
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
you are pretty much the definition of a "mindless drone"
How many bad ideas has Obama proposed in the last 2 months? I lost count. The fact that this was discussed should have you appalled. But you are a drone, henceforth refferred to as an "O-bot"

and after years on this site and personally one of the reasons there is a political site, this is my first direct personal insult. Congrats.
I guess its just shows how classy you are then.

I don't think there is any comparison to the 8 years of bad ideas we just endured w/the worse pres. in modern history.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
fishbones

Quote:
I guess its just shows how classy you are then.

I don't think there is any comparison to the 8 years of bad ideas we just endured w/the worse pres. in modern history.

Typical bh lib tactic to try to make a comparison that makes no sense to further your agenda. Since you must bring Bush into every argument about Obama, compare Bush's first 8 weeks to Obamas first 8 weeks since that's all we have to go on. I guess I give too much credit at times that people in this forum can think logically.
And to take a cheap shot at Jimmy because he expressed an opinion shows how insecure you are. Good job.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

and he says I'm classless for saying what he has said over and over!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #23
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Typical bh lib tactic to try to make a comparison that makes no sense to further your agenda. Since you must bring Bush into every argument about Obama, compare Bush's first 8 weeks to Obamas first 8 weeks since that's all we have to go on. I guess I give too much credit at times that people in this forum can think logically.
And to take a cheap shot at Jimmy because he expressed an opinion shows how insecure you are. Good job.
I don't bring bush in every discussion (usually b/c even though I voted for him first time around, I know that he did such a bad job it ends the discussion).

The point was that Obama was looking to see if he could lower health care cost by trying to recover $ from private insurance. He started a discussion and unless he takes it further, it ends there. Pres. look at different things all the time and if the fact finding/discussion turn up problems, etc, it ends there or is modified. Just b/c he discussed it doesn't mean he's going to try to get in inacted into law and to make a big deal about it is as laughable as stating that since there are contingency plans for war w/Russis we are going to war. I think Obama has been doing a great job for the first 8 weeks (mainly reversing some of Bush's policies). YOu should look at all the people trying to link the stock market's daily moves to Obama if you want to see illogical thinking.

PS - I think Jimmy is mad at me b/c in one of my posts I used mindless drones a few weeks back so I believe that he's mentioned that a few times in reference to me.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
fishbones

[QUOTE=PaulS;674690] I think Obama has been doing a great job for the first 8 weeks (mainly reversing some of Bush's policies). QUOTE]

Wow, could you provide some specifics on all the "great" things he's accomplished? Us "mindless drones" might be able to better understand the greatness of the President if you can provide some tangible proof of his accomplishments.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

YOu should look at all the people trying to link the stock market's daily moves to Obama if you want to see illogical thinking.

Actually, we were only linking the massive drops that took place when
1. Obama approved the stimulus
2. Geitnher gave (actually little) details of the mortgage bailout
3. Obama announced his budget.

The markets were actually slighlty up in anticipation of the above announcements however they quickly plummeted once they were announced.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #26
PaulS

stem cells - you shouldn't expect "greatness" out of any person or pres.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #27
fishbones

Quote:
stem cells - you shouldn't expect "greatness" out of any person or pres.
So you're telling me that his first 8 weeks have been a success based on stem cells?

Come on, there's gotta be more than stem cells.

Sorry to twist your words. I should have left it at his "great accomplishments".

Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
PaulS

No, didn't you ask for specifices? that was an example -

torture is an other.

Haven't you read the paper for the last 8 weeks
Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
fishbones

[QUOTE=fishbones;674692]
Quote:
I think Obama has been doing a great job for the first 8 weeks (mainly reversing some of Bush's policies). QUOTE]

Wow, could you provide some specifics on all the "great" things he's accomplished? Us "mindless drones" might be able to better understand the greatness of the President if you can provide some tangible proof of his accomplishments.
Paul, i'm pretty sure I asked for specifics, not an example or 2. Oh, wait! Look, I did ask for specifics!!!

I do read the paper. And I read a lot of articles online, as well. In fact, I read in last Sundays paper that Biden was calling the uptick in the stock market a direct result of people having confidence in Obama. I thought that was pretty strange considering he didn't say anything about it being Obama's fault when the market was hitting historical lows for weeks on end.

Just because I'm conservative and a realist doesn't mean that I don't agree with the stem cell and torture reversals. Those were quick, easy fixes for him.

The true test of his first 8 weeks though, is how he is being perceived by the public. The economy is the #1 concern for most people, and it hasn't been very good since he's been in office. If you read the papers and articles online, you'll see that there is frustration with him and his administration. Check out his latest approval rating.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #30
PaulS

And I gave you 2 specifics. I'm not going to waste my time listing everthing that I think he did right just as I won't ask you to waste your time listing everything you think he's done wrong.

His approval rating his higher than the % who elected him and the polls I've seen (admitedly not for any of the last 1 -2 weeks or so) indicate that a majority think he's doing a good job - even repub.s

I agree that the econ. is the #1 concern and I think in the next election elec. if people think this admin. is doing well, the dems break w/tradition and pick up a decent amount of seats. If people think this admin. is not doing well, the repubs. pick up a lot of seats. There won't be small swings.

It comes down to if you think the stimulas is good or bad.