Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #31
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What's to defend? It was in poor taste, he should make a quick appology and life will go on.

Here's what's funny about it, most of the outrage will come from the Right, many of whom traditionally haven't given a rats ass about the mentally disabled.

-spence
Thats simply not true. Small businessmen, who historically have been the backbone of the Jaycees, Kiwannis, and other such fraternal organizations were some of the original backers, supporters of the Special Olympics. And I think we know well what political party most small businessmen are associated with.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Spence, your original comment was BOTH stupid and ignorant. I know very well and have worked with people who are developmentally disabled. Lucky for you that no one in your family has had to deal with it and you can make your idiotic comments and then say "I should add 'many of whom'". If you spent time around people with disabilities (and no, being married to someone who does, doesn't count) and worked with charities that support them, you'd see as many Republicans, if not more than you would Democrats. Get your head out of your ass and think before you speak.

As for funding, check you're facts. You might learn something.
I see I've struck a chord here, but I think you're taking my comment personally instead of looking at the irony I was intending to point out. If you have data that suggests Republican politicians have been championing the needs of the mentally disabled, I'd like to see it.

As for my head, it's planted firmly on my neck where it's always been.

-spence
Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Thats simply not true. Small businessmen, who historically have been the backbone of the Jaycees, Kiwannis, and other such fraternal organizations were some of the original backers, supporters of the Special Olympics. And I think we know well what political party most small businessmen are associated with.
Ok, fine...I give up. I'm obviously guily of not attaching enough conditions to my generalization to make everyone happy.

Tough crowd this afternoon

-spence
Old 03-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #34
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Nothing to do with my policial views, I think he is an a-hole for many things. This being number 7.
1. His proposal for having combat wounded fund their medial care through private insurance.
2. His association with Rev. Wright. nope, I wont get over that.
3. His throwing his white granmother under the bus as a racist
4. His "clinging to guns and religion" comment
5. His comments/attack on the Imus/rutgers situation
6. His condescending tone and constant mantra with - I didnt create this problem (first with the economy and now the bonuses)
7. Making an insensitive remark about retarded people. Just imagine if some kid who participates in the Special Olympics and whose parents let him stay up late to watch "our" president? Change, hope(less)
Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #35
fishbones

Quote:
I see I've struck a chord here, but I think you're taking my comment personally instead of looking at the irony I was intending to point out. If you have data that suggests Republican politicians have been championing the needs of the mentally disabled, I'd like to see it.

As for my head, it's planted firmly on my neck where it's always been.

-spence
Spence, your irony is misplaced. As for data, I'll give you some. Although when I call you out on things, you usually neither provide data nor respond. Check out The Special Olympics Sport Empowerment Act of 2004 and see who the sponsors of the bill were. Also check out John McCain's track record of working with people with disabilities.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #36
slapshot

Quote:
If you have data that suggests Republican politicians have been championing the needs of the mentally disabled, I'd like to see it.

-spence
Haven't been in here much lately, but Sarah Palin ran as an advocate for families with special needs.

bluefish Jihadist
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #37
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Haven't been in here much lately, but Sarah Palin ran as an advocate for families with special needs.
yes, but the open minded left labeled her as a white trash moron so she doesnt count.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #38
buckman

Quote:
But my wife has worked with the mentally disabled all of her life.

-spence
I'll agree with that !
Old 03-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #39
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'll agree with that !
Ok, that was pretty good

-spence
Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #40
spence

Quote:
Spence, your irony is misplaced. As for data, I'll give you some. Although when I call you out on things, you usually neither provide data nor respond. Check out The Special Olympics Sport Empowerment Act of 2004 and see who the sponsors of the bill were. Also check out John McCain's track record of working with people with disabilities.
I'd note that McCain (a good man, until he won the primary), by most measures, isn't even considered a member of the right wing.

If you're going to argue that the political elite ideologues and punditry who define the "Right" and drive the party platform are the vanguard of the mentally disabled then perhaps I've been watching a different channel.

Ok, perhaps my use of irony was overly sardonic for your tastes, which is fine, but to insult my wife's bona fides or assume (god forbid) that my post slipped through QA, all because of a little sarcasm, is a bit lame.

-spence
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #41
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
He just thinks he's a hip, funny dude and wants everyone to know how cool he is. .
Ya, hip, funny and cool should be added to the age, citizenship and residency
qualifications to run for The Office of The President of The United States of America.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #42
fishbones

Quote:
I'd note that McCain (a good man, until he won the primary), by most measures, isn't even considered a member of the right wing.

If you're going to argue that the political elite ideologues and punditry who define the "Right" and drive the party platform are the vanguard of the mentally disabled then perhaps I've been watching a different channel.

Ok, perhaps my use of irony was overly sardonic for your tastes, which is fine, but to insult my wife's bona fides or assume (god forbid) that my post slipped through QA, all because of a little sarcasm, is a bit lame.

-spence
Thanks for clearing things up, Spence. I forgot that you like to change up your argument mid-discussion if the facts don't support it to fit the point you're trying to prove.

When you said Republican, I gave you an example of a Republican (McCain). I should have known that you only meant "right wing" Republicans. Please forgive me for not being able to read your mind.

Your wifes bona fides were never questioned by me. Sorry if you misinterpreted when I actually questioned you (and was pretty clear that it was you I was questioning). I'm sure your wife is very qualified just as any other employee who works in that field to have an opinion about politics.

By the way, did you read the SOSEA?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
Thanks for clearing things up, Spence. I forgot that you like to change up your argument mid-discussion if the facts don't support it to fit the point you're trying to prove.
No, not at all.

My initial comment was calling out the "Right" as in the idiological leadership of the Right Wing, then asserted that there was a generalized policy difference that stemmed from this.

In an act of good faith I attempted to qualify my perhaps open ended sarcastic comment, but you seem to take this as an act of inconsistency.

If I have in any way led you to believe that I don't actually find irony in the intial post, then I'm deeply sorry for attempting to be reasonable. Perhaps I should have just told you to jam it and went offline?

Ultimately though, I find an argument about irony to be very ironic, don't you

If I was wrong about anything, it was assuming all the outrage would come from the Right, when in fact the outrage came from all sides.

Oh, and as for SOSEA, please enlighten us.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 03-20-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #44
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Ultimately though, I find an argument about irony to be very ironic, don't you -spence

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #45
fishbones

Quote:
Perhaps I should have just told you to jam it and went offline?

Ultimately though, I find an argument about irony to be very ironic, don't you

If I was wrong about anything, it was assuming all the outrage would come from the Right, when in fact the outrage came from all sides.

Oh, and as for SOSEA, please enlighten us.

-spence
Good morning, Spence. If you went offline yesterday, my day would have been empty. And I love arguments about irony. I find them, well, ironic.

The reason I questioned you was because you originally made a blanket statement which was untrue. Then, you amended it and asked me to site examples without providing any of your own to support your argument.

While you can certainly find instances of cutbacks in funding by the Republicans, you might be suprised to find that the Democrats are guilty of the same things. They just try to blame it on the Republicans. Even you have to admit that there is a mindset among the public that all cuts to social services come from Republicans. It's a brilliant plan by the Democrats to keep themselves in office.

As for SOSEA, look up the bill. I'm pretty sure you're internet savy enough to do a google search on it. I shouldn't have to be the only one to actually provide facts to back up my statements.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #46
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
I'll agree with that !
That's shows just how easily it it to fall into this line of disabled jokes. We should all lighted up a little and tend to our raw nerves. It was just a joke, a tad offensive, but self depreciating. He apologized. Let's get back to the real issues, like the total disaster the world economy is in right now.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #47
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
That's shows just how easily it it to fall into this line of disabled jokes. We should all lighted up a little and tend to our raw nerves. It was just a joke, a tad offensive, but self depreciating. He apologized. Let's get back to the real issues, like the total disaster the world economy is in right now.
Right on. The world needs to lighten up a bit.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #48
spence

Quote:
Good morning, Spence. If you went offline yesterday, my day would have been empty. And I love arguments about irony. I find them, well, ironic.
I'm glad to see you have some level of dependence.

Quote:
The reason I questioned you was because you originally made a blanket statement which was untrue. Then, you amended it and asked me to site examples without providing any of your own to support your argument.
Quite simply, too lazy and too busy on a Friday during work to make the effort.

Quote:
While you can certainly find instances of cutbacks in funding by the Republicans, you might be suprised to find that the Democrats are guilty of the same things. They just try to blame it on the Republicans. Even you have to admit that there is a mindset among the public that all cuts to social services come from Republicans. It's a brilliant plan by the Democrats to keep themselves in office.
There is perhaps some of this, but there's a idiological undercurrent to at play as well. Conservatives tend to believe that the Federal Government has no Constitutional justification to fund social programs, which end up funding a lot of programs for the mentally disabled. While State Governments have more freedom here, politically they are often constrained to sticking to the same platform, perhaps more now than ever. This certianly was true under Reagan, and even recently our own Gov. Carcieri attempted to slash state budgets for the developmentally disabled without any thought into the net business value of his actions. Considering he's a business man this surprised me quite a bit. That being said, I'm glad he considered it as an option as if you're going to reform, there can't be any sacred cows. He did eventually back down when the stupidity of his plan became appearant. I've read plenty of stories over the years, but again...to lazy to write a book about it.

RI actually has some very good programs for the developmentally disabled, and I don't credit a longstanding conservative state government for the value that it does deliver...granted, at a high cost. Religious and other community efforts add tremendous value and improve quality of life, but with some people needing 100K+ per year in state and federal aid, the till from the taxpayer ends up footing a lot of the bill.

While I'm sure there's examples of good and bad being done on both sides...at the top of either ends political elite though, I think there's a consistent message that's quite different, hence the irony.

Quote:
As for SOSEA, look up the bill. I'm pretty sure you're internet savy enough to do a google search on it. I shouldn't have to be the only one to actually provide facts to back up my statements.
Had I found it via Google I would have educated myself, found the weakness in your argument and posted as an expert in the subject asserting your error. Perhaps you don't have the acronym correct?

-spence

Last edited by spence; 03-21-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #49
fishbones

Here you go, Spence. Enjoy.

http://soi-prod5.specialolympics.org...egislation.htm

Old 03-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #50
spence

You already mentioned that.

Hey, I think the Special Olympics are great, and the recent quote from a disabled bowler stating "I can beat the President!" is even better

But this was a bi-partisan bill that nobody in their right mind would have opposed even if they were a heartless bastard.

-spence
Old 03-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #51
bssb
river rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
yes, but the open minded left labeled her as a white trash moron so she doesnt count.
she is a white trash moron

along with most of the party

Last edited by bssb; 03-21-2009 at 05:30 PM..

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 03-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #52
fishbones

Quote:
You already mentioned that.

Hey, I think the Special Olympics are great, and the recent quote from a disabled bowler stating "I can beat the President!" is even better

But this was a bi-partisan bill that nobody in their right mind would have opposed even if they were a heartless bastard.

-spence
Keep in mind that it was co-sponsored by a Republican. I heard a disabled person person say that they were better than the president with finances earlier today.
Don't worry though. I put them in their place for you.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #53
spence

Quote:
Keep in mind that it was co-sponsored by a Republican. I heard a disabled person person say that they were better than the president with finances earlier today.
Don't worry though. I put them in their place for you.
If you read your own link then you'd know it was two Republicans who co-sponsored the bill.

As for being better than the President with finance, I don't doubt that there are a hundred autistic kids out there who have already solved the present economic crisis in an alternate Earth they've created and planned to the minute detail.

If these kids weren't on the short bus they could probably be charting a better course for our future

-spence
Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #54
fishbones

Quote:
If you read your own link then you'd know it was two Republicans who co-sponsored the bill.

As for being better than the President with finance, I don't doubt that there are a hundred autistic kids out there who have already solved the present economic crisis in an alternate Earth they've created and planned to the minute detail.

If these kids weren't on the short bus they could probably be charting a better course for our future

-spence
Just to make you aware, it was originally co-sponsored by Blunt and Hoyer and then went to the Senate and was introduced as companion legislation by Santorum and Reid.

The link doesn't mention that. I wouldn't want you to think I don't read links I post here, Spence.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #55
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #56
JohnnyD

Quote:
Reading spence's post, he stated that funding for the disabled has tended to fall under a Republican government and rise with a Democratic one.

How does your continual argument that a handful of Republicans championed a bill for the Special Olympic make his argument invalid?

By your methods, I could say that Republicans are heartless bastards because Texas is a Republican state and executed a mental disabled person.

It just doesn't add up. A rather poor argument created on the basis of the actions of the few representing those of the rest.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #57
buckman

Lets face it. For any side to claim they corner the market on helping "special needs" has to be the most pathetic thing I have seen on this forum yet. There has been plenty done by both sides and there is more to do.

I would bet the private sector does more then the government day in and day out.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #58
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Lets face it. For any side to claim they corner the market on helping "special needs" has to be the most pathetic thing I have seen on this forum yet. There has been plenty done by both sides and there is more to do.

I would bet the private sector does more then the government day in and day out.
It's a headline grapping issue, 50 years ago they would have put all of those 'special needs' in a state hospital and forgotten about them. Now the govt can spend less because their fate is in the private sector.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #59
spence

Quote:
Funny, up until very recently people were debating that you were the most pathetic thing seen on this forum yet

Quote:
Seriously, how much are you willing to place?

-spence
Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #60
buckman

Quote:
Funny, up until very recently people were debating that you were the most pathetic thing seen on this forum yet

Seriously, how much are you willing to place?

-spence
I only got involved in this thread cause I thought it was about you.