Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Ryder's Cove imposes $20.00 Launch fee

Chatham's Ryder's Cove fix moves forward - - Wicked Local Chatham

Glad I have a Resident sticker.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
FishermanTim

Another fee for another town pocket.

"Come on down and see Chatham.....if you can afford to park here!"
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Lets hope all towns don't follow in Chathams path.
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I got a laugh when down at the fish pier last summer on my friends boat.
We pulled up the fish pier to get gas and my friend pulled out a $100 bill and told the kid to pump $100 and asked how many gallons should I pump. I think it was $3.18 a gal and the kid told him it's another 10 cents "town tax" per gallon !
So in Chatham you pay fed, state & town tax for gas.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Either that, or the kid is smarter than your friend
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

wasn't this mainly caused from the comm. bass season zoo out there last year. Don't see this will deter that over parking situation as 20 bucks to make 500 plus is a good deal.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

I wonder how much it would cost to launch and park at Boston harbor??? or Hyde park harbour????
After town tax money used to build the ramp I think it's quite generous to allow you gents first crack at geting to the fish.
Last year only eighty four trailers in front of a townie
PS Not trying to bust anyone's chops just trying to give a little insight from a different perspective .
PPS Gas or diesel,,everyone pays the town tax for the overhead of the tanks,,pumps,etc.

Sure would like to try other places to trailer and fish and park. Any Ideas for twenty bucks with Guaranteed reservations in advance ???
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
wasn't this mainly caused from the comm. bass season zoo out there last year. Don't see this will deter that over parking situation as 20 bucks to make 500 plus is a good deal.
Quite true.It's also limited to 40 permits per day and the permits are only issued 24hrs prior to that day.the real issue is there's still no real parking for trailers.the Cape in general is a lousy place to trailer a boat.Look at Barnstable[as you know].It drives me nuts especially in the fall when the Resident only ramps are empty.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Sea Flat

Hearing this makes me happy to live in Falmouth. No fees.

However, from what I hear a lot of places have parking fees or ramp fees. I just think that Chatham is jumping on the band wagon. It is a bummer because as a trailering boater if I want to trailer someplace to get an easy shot to Stellwagen or Monomoy it is annoying due to lack of parking and fees etc.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Hooper
Southsider

Avoid the zoo and launch at Saquatucket and make the run. The parking sux at Ryder's Cove anyways
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
big jay

or Nauset and deal with the breachway...

(Hoopers answer is much smarter).
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Good idea Hooper. Nauset can be dangerous at low/mid water or when the breakers cause your prop to dig into the sand.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Doesn't boatus reimburse for ramp fees?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
Islander77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I got a laugh when down at the fish pier last summer on my friends boat.
We pulled up the fish pier to get gas and my friend pulled out a $100 bill and told the kid to pump $100 and asked how many gallons should I pump. I think it was $3.18 a gal and the kid told him it's another 10 cents "town tax" per gallon !
So in Chatham you pay fed, state & town tax for gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamblue30 View Post
Good idea Hooper. Nauset can be dangerous at low/mid water or when the breakers cause your prop to dig into the sand.
Before I say anything please realize my father has lived and fished outta Chtaham for about 20 years now.. ( Comm)...

Yea the fish pier is a different kinda place and yes they do do that actually, I think its Monomoi fuel or which ever company down there that does that to cover a tax on them for bein " on the water " with fuel..

Proffesor M.. Did you see Ryders any of those mornings??? I know I did on our way to other place.. one word redonkulous.. People parked almost a mile away to launch there??? I mean seriously.. Zoo dont even sum it up.. more like Pilgrams.. horror show only started there once past the bar it was just a big washing machine.. And yes that was me on the 21 foot HiLiner hull...

See people say that bout the bar at Nausett and the new cut at Chatham.. but we cam OVER the bar most the time on way in.. And hell we even took the EJ out the new cut on more then one occasion and thats a 48 foot Marine Services hull..

I think Ryders has every right to do this or become resident only.. Sorry folks my Father owns a house there and has 3 commercial boats moored there between fish pier and stage harbor depending on time of year.. so why do We have to launch from a different place with me getting wet every comm bass day??? But when you get there at 4-5 am and its a bag of mashed a hole circus...

Just my .02$

Last edited by Islander77; 03-28-2011 at 08:36 AM..
Islander77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
Raider Ronnie

Last I checked my marina in Quincy and every other place in Boston harbor charges fed & state tax on fuel no town or city?
I'm pretty sure Quincy / Boston harbor is considered "on the water"

As for the launch fee every place I know of from Green Harbor - Boston gets you for a launch fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
Before I say anything please realize my father has lived and fished outta Chtaham for about 20 years now.. ( Comm)...

Yea the fish pier is a different kinda place and yes they do do that actually, I think its Monomoi fuel or which ever company down there that does that to cover a tax on them for bein " on the water " with fuel..

Proffesor M.. Did you see Ryders any of those mornings??? I know I did on our way to Crows.. one word redonkulous.. People parked almost a mile away to launch there??? I mean seriously.. Zoo dont even sum it up.. more like Pilgrams.. horror show only started there once past the bar it was just a big washing machine.. And yes that was me on the 21 foot HiLiner hull...

See people say that bout the bar at Nausett and the new cut at Chatham.. but we cam OVER the bar most the time on way in.. And hell we even took the EJ out the new cut on more then one occasion and thats a 48 foot Marine Services hull..

I think Ryders has every right to do this or become resident only.. Sorry folks my Father owns a house there and has 3 commercial boats moored there between fish pier and stage harbor depending on time of year.. so why do We have to launch from Crows with me getting wet every comm bass day??? But when you get there at 4-5 am and its a bag of mashed a hole circus...

Just my .02$

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Raider Ronnie Unlike a private Marinna the Chatham fish pier is town property and as such has the pumps and tanks on town property and bids out the concession of gas sales through a private company.
The town maintains the equipment and the person running the pumps sells the fuel.
Beats waiting for a fuel truck to jockey between house delivery and working different piers.
So for ten bucks on a hundered gallons it beats carrying cans
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Islander77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
Raider Ronnie Unlike a private Marinna the Chatham fish pier is town property and as such has the pumps and tanks on town property and bids out the concession of gas sales through a private company.
The town maintains the equipment and the person running the pumps sells the fuel.
Beats waiting for a fuel truck to jockey between house delivery and working different piers.
And if you were in South county RI most marinas tell you no fueling at the dock.. so your stuck buying it on water for far more then pump or taking cans off and on and only fueling after leaving the dock which really means yoour buying on the water for a far increased price..
Islander77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
big jay

So Ryders was a zoo this year - so what. I'm sure it sucked if you fish out of there on a regular basis, but it sucks somewhere different every year.

2 years ago the Bass were thick enough at P-town that you could walk on them, and guys couldn't get near the Pamet River Ramp. I'm sure the Pamet regulars hated that too.
And every year when Scorton goes off, I've got 500 yahoos playing bumper boats in the basin and clogging up the parking lot at Sandwich.

The Chatham guys want to say "locals only" this season - I wonder how they would feel when the bite goes off somemwhere else and they get shut out, and deal with some the same parking regs they're putting in.

Last edited by big jay; 03-28-2011 at 08:45 PM..
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

My point is they call it a Town Tax. Is that even legal ?
Last I checked when I fill up my truck at a station it says on the pump the fed & state tax amounts, no town or city tax.
As for maintaining the equipment and paying the person running the pump thats part of the cost of doing business.
I'm pretty sure they turn a profit of selling gas or they wouldn't be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Boaters do not mind paying an access fee for trailer parking and ramp use,Chatham has closed all of it's ramps and parking areas slowly over time for the sole use of residents. This would not be a problem if there were any other safe access north of Monomoy. Makes me wonder how the chatham fishermen feel when they are running to the upper cape for the red top derby or the hot bite at Nomans & using the open ramps in Falmouth,Bourne,Wareham,Dartmouth and Sandwich. This does no-one any good.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
Sea Flat

I can see both sides on this one. Boat ramps do take some money to upkeep so collecting some money so that when new concrete, tar etc needs to be put in it can be done. Truthfully, will this money collected really be put towards that in the future, doubtful.

I was really po'ed this year when I was going on vacation. My wife was going to bring the car and kids and I was going to meet her at the destination in the boat. I was going to put my boat in at the Sandwich ramp in the canal and my buddy was going to drive my truck and trailer back to my house. I assumed the fee was for parking, nope! I was so pissed that they wanted me to pay $10 just to put my boat in and not park there.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #22
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

chatham never made a dime on ramps or parking till the rest of world found the cape .Ramp repairs were funded by the sate which means it has to be open to all ...UNTILL the town pays the state back for funding borrowed...once this has been done the town now owns said ramp..whats left of the ramps that havn't been washed away are few..these few can't hold the traffic that's being placed on them today, so instead of resident only they hoped charging a small fee will lift some of that traffic and if that doesn't work..the next step is for residents only...just to many people in a small place...build more ramps?...it'llnever fly..the town makes more money from waterfront property in taxes then it ever would on a ramp.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #23
BOSOX
catch 'em up

They had to do something to try and cut down the number of users...
I make the run around from Stage, sure it's a longer ride to where the bite was last year but I didn't have to put up w/ any of the yahoos at Ryders
BOSOX is offline   Reply With Quote