Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
vineyardblues

RIP Joe P

Joe Paterno Dead: Ex-Penn State Football Coach Has Died
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Saltheart

What a shame all the crap got dumped on him a few months before his death. In a way I bet it pushed him into the grave faster. RIP

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
What a shame all the crap got dumped on him a few months before his death. In a way I bet it pushed him into the grave faster. RIP
Agree.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Chesapeake Bill

As a Pennsyltuckian I have the pleasure of meeting him several times over teh years. He was always willing to take a moment and answer a question or share a kind word with someone. It really is a shame how it ended, although they cannot take his record away...

RIP JoePa
Chesapeake Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
PaulS

RIP
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Agreed... And the fact he was not going to coach anymore...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Seriously, RIP?
This guy woke up everyday for the last ten years KNOWING a 10yr old was raped and KNOWING who did it and he did NOTHING.I don't think that can be disputed.
Crap "was dumped on him" HUH????? You guys actually think highly of him? WTF, Im speechless.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Seriously, RIP?
This guy woke up everyday for the last ten years KNOWING a 10yr old was raped and KNOWING who did it and he did NOTHING.I don't think that can be disputed.
Crap "was dumped on him" HUH????? You guys actually think highly of him? WTF, Im speechless.
That's just completely wrong...

Pennsylvania law states:

Quote:
(b) Staff members of public or private agencies, institutions and facilities. RNs, LPNs and CRNPs who are staff members of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, and who, in the course of their employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse. Upon notification by the RN, LPN or CRNP, the person in charge or the designated agent shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with subsections (a), (c) and (d).
JoePa reported it to the school, and his superiors. At that point he had done what the law required, and was legally absolved of it. The school didn't follow through with it, and let him be the goat.

Now, MORALLY, the proper thing to do is to go right to the police. Of course. I don't agree with the fact that he didn't go to the police, but he did follow the law to the letter. Saying he did nothing is just incorrect.

RIP JoePa.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

yeah, ok.

still nothing in my book. we're not talking about littering. we're talking about the rape of a child. Inaction led to additional rape. If you can honor a guy that lived with what he knew, good for you. I could never stomach it. He raised more noise in his defense than he did when he knew what was happening to KIDS. I hope his rest is anything but peaceful. The lives of those kids will never be.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
PaulS

RIJ - I can't argue with anything you would say in this case. I had originally typed a few sentences w/my response but then deleted it just b/f submitting it. I think the whole situation was discussed b/f and I made my feelings well known.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
FishnGrega

I can't wait for the other douche bag to kick the bucket as well.
FishnGrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Sea Dangles

The University is responsible for this entire mess. They did nothing about the rape and they turned Paterno into a scapegoat.The redhead got off easy and this whole mess killed Paterno. I do not feel as though he had it coming. Could he have done more, of course and I am sure he regrets it.This man dedicated his life to working with kids and mentoring them too.I just feel like he got the shaft and the school did nothing to prevent it.He is surely no angel but I don't think he is Satan either. In the end, I think his impact on society will be judged as a positive one.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
That's just completely wrong...

Pennsylvania law states:

JoePa reported it to the school, and his superiors. At that point he had done what the law required, and was legally absolved of it. The school didn't follow through with it, and let him be the goat.

Now, MORALLY, the proper thing to do is to go right to the police. Of course. I don't agree with the fact that he didn't go to the police, but he did follow the law to the letter. Saying he did nothing is just incorrect.

RIP JoePa.
Are you #^&#^&#^&#^&ing kidding me?!

Paterno knew a 10yr old boy was violently anally raped by one of his staff.If after one day of doing his duty of telling his superiors of the incident and then noticing that no cops showed up to haul Sandusky away he should've questioned why that sicko wasn't in the clink.

Every single person who knew should've done more including Paterno.But since that didn't happen young boys were violently raped for years because of their inaction.

None of those people including Paterno will ever rest in piece.How could they knowing what they knew.Could YOU rest in piece with that kind of knowledge and let that bastard Sandusky continue on with what he was doing?They did.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The University is responsible for this entire mess. They did nothing about the rape and they turned Paterno into a scapegoat.The redhead got off easy and this whole mess killed Paterno. I do not feel as though he had it coming. Could he have done more, of course and I am sure he regrets it.This man dedicated his life to working with kids and mentoring them too.I just feel like he got the shaft and the school did nothing to prevent it.He is surely no angel but I don't think he is Satan either. In the end, I think his impact on society will be judged as a positive one.
Paterno is no scapegoat and sure as sh!t ain't no angel.He knew.

Lung cancer killed Paterno not that "mess".If you want to say that this "mess" accelerated his death I would agree just exchange the word "mess" with conscience.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
JackK
Not Jack

I never said what he did was right.

RIJ just said that Paterno didn't do anything. That's not true- He followed the law to the letter. Like SD said, the university was required (by law) to report it. They didn't, and had a perfect scapegoat lined up.

Should he have done more? Absolutely. But saying he didn't do anything is incorrect.

Is the law wrong? Absolutely. Morally, should one go straight to the authorities? Definitely. I'm not canonizing JoePa, his inaction can't be defended. But apart from Sandusky himself, the university is the true bad guy in this story. They kept the entire scandal hush hush to keep their football program (read: cash flow) intact and blemish free. Paterno was just the easier target for ESPN.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

no rip for joe p

i'm going to take a controversial good riddens to joe p. this loser swept that child molesting garbage under the rug. burn in hell as far as i'm concerned.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by american spirit View Post
i'm going to take a controversial good riddens to joe p. this loser swept that child molesting garbage under the rug. burn in hell as far as i'm concerned.
the university should be ashamed of themselves. harboring a child molester, keeping it hush hush is no good at all.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
Sea Dangles

oops

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Sea Dangles

Classic misinformed observer,Paterno swept nothing under the rug. Unfortunately I would also think his age played a part in his actions or lack thereof. Yesterdays generation has a tendancy to keep sensitive issues out of the spotlight.Joe is not the monster here,that prize is for Sandusky and obviously McQueary,who witnessed an attack and then called his father????

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

joe p could have done more