Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
seachunk2

HOW FAST ARE YOU ABLE TO TURN A PLUG?

seachunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
seachunk2

OOPs, I did something wrong when I posted my message. Only the picture & title posted. I was asking how long would it take an experienced person to turn this plug? I spent about an hour. It's based on an How-To project article on The Fisherman magazine issue #7 (2/16/06). It's a 6" spook lure. Any tips on how I can speed up the process? It's was my first attempt at turning something on a lathe. I was using a 3/4 roughing tool to round out the 2 x 2 square cedar stock and a 1" skew for the shaping. Thanks!

Last edited by seachunk2; 08-08-2006 at 08:53 PM..
Old 08-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

turn that flat skew into what look's like this[ u ] and you can knock one out in 58 minute's less .

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

That should take about 5 minutes. You must not be using your tools to cut (maybe scraping instead?) Get a good turning video from a woodturning store, get your edge cutting a continuous shaving and things will speed up dramaticaly. By the way, a skew is a hard tool to learn with. You might want to try a spindle gouge instead when first starting out. Good luck.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Don't rush it!! The first one and you were doing alot more than just turning. Get some experience and you will discover how to save time or at least shorten the time required to turn.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Labrador1

Agree with all of the above. Charleston is dead on with the "don't rush it" comment. And Capesams is dead on with the amount of time it would take "an experienced turner" to make a blank. Figure 2 1/2 to 5 minutes. But if the wood isn't coming off easily you are doing something wrong. Dull tools, wrong position, wrong tool - any of which can lead to disaster so don't look at the time it takes - look at what your tools are doing. My dad always said that a dull pocket knife is much more dangerous than a sharp one - why? Because you start to force it.
Labrador1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Quote:
Originally Posted by seachunk2
It's based on an How-To project article on The Fisherman magazine issue #7 (2/16/06). It's a 6" spook lure. Any tips on how I can speed up the process?
Ask Canalman, he wrote it
2-5 mins approx, the key is good sharp tools.

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

I use a duplicator ( in other words I cheat ), I can do one if 2-3 minutes sanded. Looks like the article worked ok..

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
seachunk2

No doubt I'm doing something wrong. I'll have to get hold of a video as suggested. However, until I get hold of something, I'm curious what is the correct way the roughing & skew tool should align with the stock? I hold the roughing tool in a "U" (i.e. open side up) at a slight angle and slide the left edge to the right across the stock & come back over with the right side repeating the process until its rounded.
I then apply the skew holding it "___" (i.e. flat) with the rest. I'm at a slight angle with the stock so that the left edge is shaving the wood. The rest of the skew is not contacting the stock. I'm sure this is NOT the correct way and the video is what I need. Once I see what I need, I'm sure I'll catch on quick. I searched the web for some pictures & short video clips without any luck. Anyone know of any, or can someone post a few pics of the proper tool orientation? Also, what's the best way to sharpen the tools? Sorry about my ignorance, I'm real handy with most tools but I've never worked a lathe before, not even in wood shop. Must of been cutting those classes or something and now its payback time!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
You'd have to see it to believe it
I'd believe it after seeing what you had in your shop. I'd imagine it is even scarier now speed wise
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
NIB

It tAkes me like six months.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
seachunk2

Some other newbie such as myself might find this link helpful:
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/videos/videos.html#vcut
Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

saw a green machine once spit out plugs faster than poop out of a goose....just needed to get the ducks in a row first before you punched in the numbers.Only disapointment was ,I never got to see the inner working's of this green beast...just a feed slide...buttons...an the basket at the poop shoot.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #14
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
You'd have to see it to believe it
LOL i don't need to see it cause i beleive it.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

I have a full blown transfer machine in my shop. Just load the blanks in the hopper and they feed to the turning station. The newly turned blank is moved via SPM (small parts manipulator) to the through drill station. Upon completion of through drilling the SPM hands it off to drilling center #2 where perfectly aligned belly hook holes are done along with eye holes. At this point the blanks go through the end cutting step where the square ends are removed and the plug ends are cleaned and sanded. At the final step the blanks slide down a chute into the sealing tank.........oh, OK, I'm awake now. I'll just go in and take a leak and go back to sleep......

Last edited by Charleston; 08-10-2006 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #16
Labrador1

Charleston - I had one of those but I got rid of it - too dang slow. You are living in the dark ages!
Labrador1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Cool

Must be the old model, Bill. The new addition continues to prime, paint ,drop in the eyes and grommets, thru wires the lip and swivels,wraps the tail, instant epoxies the body, spins it dry, coats with butchers wax, twists on split rings and hooks,slides on hook protectors and puts it in a plastic sleeve.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:16 AM   #18
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachunk2
No doubt I'm doing something wrong. I'll have to get hold of a video as suggested. However, until I get hold of something, I'm curious what is the correct way the roughing & skew tool should align with the stock? I hold the roughing tool in a "U" (i.e. open side up) at a slight angle and slide the left edge to the right across the stock & come back over with the right side repeating the process until its rounded.
I then apply the skew holding it "___" (i.e. flat) with the rest. I'm at a slight angle with the stock so that the left edge is shaving the wood. The rest of the skew is not contacting the stock. I'm sure this is NOT the correct way and the video is what I need. Once I see what I need, I'm sure I'll catch on quick. I searched the web for some pictures & short video clips without any luck. Anyone know of any, or can someone post a few pics of the proper tool orientation? Also, what's the best way to sharpen the tools? Sorry about my ignorance, I'm real handy with most tools but I've never worked a lathe before, not even in wood shop. Must of been cutting those classes or something and now its payback time!
Seachunk, you lift the tool into the work. Start with a dowel so you're not dealing with corners. With the lathe spinning put your gouge on the tool rest with the handle low, then advance it so THE BEVEL of the tool is rubbing on the work. Lift the handle slowly, while the shaft of the tool remains on the tool rest, and the EDGE will start to cut. Hold the tool at this angle and slide it along the rest. The key is that the tool is supported in THREE places, the edge, the bevel, and the tool rest. If the bevel of the tool lifts off the wood, the tool will catch and slam back down. With a gouge, there is a huge margin for error, gouges usually don't catch. A skew is a whole different story. You are not ready for it yet, but it is used with the narrow part of the tool on the rest, the flat part twisted 30-45degrees, and the tool angled across the rest so the bevel is supported on the work piece (either long point up or down...start with it up) then lift the handle to bring the edge into contact with the work. You cut ONLY WITH THE LOWER THIRD of the edge. If you get higher on the edge the tool will catch with dramatic result.

You should also experiment with scrapers. They are much easier to use than a skew. They are thick tools with a square or rounded edge and esentially no bevel. You hold them square to the spindle with the handle high and the edge BENEATH the spindle, then lower the handle until the edge starts scraping the work. No risk of catching so easy for beginners, although you'll need to clean up the work with more sanding when you are done.

Again, there are very good turning videos and books out there. You'd be smart to get one.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #19
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
saw a green machine once spit out plugs faster than poop out of a goose....just needed to get the ducks in a row first before you punched in the numbers.Only disapointment was ,I never got to see the inner working's of this green beast...just a feed slide...buttons...an the basket at the poop shoot.
Gibbs has that, send all the blanks into the chute and whammo out the other end a turned plug. Dies were mighty expensive and wicked sharp. Just lookin at the edges of those things would slice you open.

Myself, I suck so it takes me a while but I still enjoy. I look at turning and building as a winter pastime. Anyone else feel that way?

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #20
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail

Myself, I suck so it takes me a while but I still enjoy. I look at turning and building as a winter pastime. Anyone else feel that way?
Yup, turning is the best part, except when you got the owesies than ya gotta go with the dupe.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I hate machine's

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #22
Jigman

[QUOTE=Charleston]I have a full blown transfer machine in my shop. Just load the blanks in the hopper and they feed to the turning station. The newly turned blank is moved via SPM (small parts manipulator) to the through drill station. Upon completion of through drilling the SPM hands it off to drilling center #2 where perfectly aligned belly hook holes are done along with eye holes. At this point the blanks go through the end cutting step where the square ends are removed and the plug ends are cleaned and sanded. At the final step the blanks slide down a chute into the sealing tank...QUOTE]

I had one of those, but Tagger made me get rid of it cause it would not hydro-orient the blanks

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #23
Backbeach Jake

Red face

If I go for speed, blanks tend to explode. I don't like that much..

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #24
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

I had one of those, but Tagger made me get rid of it cause it would not hydro-orient the blanks

Jigman[/QUOTE]

Tagger is like that sometimes!!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #25
MrHunters
What was that!?!

is this fast :)

MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #26
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
I hate machine's

Masochistic machinist.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #27
seachunk2

Thanks for the info Numbskull
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #28
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Fast...I just can't paint them worth a #$%^

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #29
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

[QUOTE=Jigman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston
QUOTE]

Jigman
I'm a kill joy ..

how fast ? with or without tear out .?

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #30
pat28

If anyone is interested in a lure turning video, Alan Lacer`s Son of Skew has a section on this. I just rented the video through smartflix. Will let you know if it is any help as soon as I get to watch it!
pat28 is offline   Reply With Quote