Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #91
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
of course they have meanings. but an “i love mao” hat isn’t the same as maga, because you can’tl compare trump and mao.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
There you go again comparing things as the same .. A trump hat and a mao T-shirt are only the same in that they invoke a response of the person wearing it. Absent of knowing the person ...under the hat or wearing the T shirt

Last edited by wdmso; 01-31-2019 at 11:34 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #92
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
No it isn't.

She clarified what she said. You said that "I just happen to think making America great again is a good thing" along with the attempted backhanded slap.

So, when did you think America wasn't great bc your statement clearly says America is/wasn't great at some point.

If you think like Jim said that we should alwayst try to be better, that is a different statement.
who cares if she clarified her statement, after she caught heat for saying it.

and if your issue with trumps slogan is the word “again”, how about obama’s slogan if hope
and change? doesn’t that imply that things are currently pretty damn bad? but it’s ok when obama says that currently, america stinks. and he cane up with that slogan way before the market crash, so it wasn’t that .

there’s the double standard.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #93
PaulS

Quote:
who cares if she clarified her statement, after she caught heat for saying it. Bc usually in this country we give people the benefit of the doubt if they apologize for a mistake or a misstament. And we don't constantly bring those things up again and again (or most of us don't)

and if your issue with trumps slogan is the word “again”, how about obama’s slogan if hope
and change? doesn’t that imply that things are currently pretty damn bad? No, I don't think it does. Isn't that part of trying to do better - hope to make things better and if there is a way to do something better, than make that change. Totally different from implying that America is no longer great and and we need to make it great again. but it’s ok when obama says that currently, america stinks. and he cane up with that slogan way before the market crash, so it wasn’t that .

there’s the double standard.
No double standard. It just that some people are ignoring what some people are implying what MAGA (and build the wall) mean.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #94
scottw

Quote:
No double standard. It just that some people are ignoring what some people are implying what MAGA (and build the wall) mean.
how many beers is that for you today already?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #95
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
how many beers is that for you today already?
You've been talking about beers a lot lately but I don't see you offering any up.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #96
Pete F.
Canceled

How dare you criticize Trump here, You can't do it in Conservative Media either.

For more than a decade, RedState was a solid voice in the world of online conservative commentary. Unfortunately, the allure of Trumpism has left the once great site a shell of its former self.
We are conservatives. We believe in limited government, the free market, the Constitution, and protecting the rights of the unborn. We have therefore supported the Republican Party and believed in the Republican Party for years.

But a healthy Republican Party cannot exist without a healthy conservative media; likewise, a toxic, poisonous conservative media is like a parasite for the conservative movement— and, make no mistake, it will eventually kill it.

We publish this with the hope that it serves to push the Republican Party and conservative media back to the ones we respected, admired, and believed in.

https://thebulwark.com/why-we-are-quitting-redstate/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #97
scottw

Quote:
You've been talking about beers a lot lately but I don't see you offering any up.
I'd drink with you anytime....maybe when it gets a bit warmer and the fish come back
Old 01-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #98
Jim in CT

so saying “make
america great again” is too negtive, as it implies the current situation isn’t great.

but a slogan of “hope and change”, is fine, somehow that doesn’t have a negative connotation about the current state of affairs.

i don’t get it. they both imply that the current situation needs fixing.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #99
spence

Quote:
so saying “make
america great again” is too negtive, as it implies the current situation isn’t great.

but a slogan of “hope and change”, is fine, somehow that doesn’t have a negative connotation about the current state of affairs.

i don’t get it. they both imply that the current situation needs fixing.
Again implies we aren't great at the moment, I don't see any other way to spin that.

"Hope" is just a positive, confident word. "Change" doesn't imply we aren't great but that we can do better. Improve access to healthcare, improve environmental responsibility, less war, a non-nuclear Iran, more equality for the LGBT community etc... pretty much all the stuff that Trump is working to reverse.

Now you could argue that in Trump's mind we weren't great under Obama for the types of changes he helped to usher in. So maybe MAGA really means kick people off of health insurance, trash the environment, more war, discriminate against the gay community etc...

So we can be great again if that's what great means to you. It certainly seems like that's what it means to Trump.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #100
Sea Dangles

Quote:
No it isn't.

She clarified what she said. You said that "I just happen to think making America great again is a good thing" along with the attempted backhanded slap.

So, when did you think America wasn't great bc your statement clearly says America is/wasn't great at some point.

If you think like Jim said that we should alwayst try to be better, that is a different statement.
I think there are a lot of ways to make improvements Paul,such as veterans services and health care etc. But personally,I feel the country struggled during the previous administration. There were instances where I thought feelings were put before national security and the world lost a lot of respect for the United States as a global superpower. Thanks for asking.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #101
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Again implies we aren't great at the moment, I don't see any other way to spin that.

"Hope" is just a positive, confident word. "Change" doesn't imply we aren't great but that we can do better. Improve access to healthcare, improve environmental responsibility, less war, a non-nuclear Iran, more equality for the LGBT community etc... pretty much all the stuff that Trump is working to reverse.

Now you could argue that in Trump's mind we weren't great under Obama for the types of changes he helped to usher in. So maybe MAGA really means kick people off of health insurance, trash the environment, more war, discriminate against the gay community etc...

So we can be great again if that's what great means to you. It certainly seems like that's what it means to Trump.
this is dumb
Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #102
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I think there are a lot of ways to make improvements Paul,such as veterans services and health care etc. But personally,I feel the country struggled during the previous administration. There were instances where I thought feelings were put before national security and the world lost a lot of respect for the United States as a global superpower. Thanks for asking.
Obama's leadership ratings didn't fare well in Russia and Israel but the rest of the planet gave him favorable or very high marks. These evaporated under Trump to be even lower than 43.

I guess one way to think about national security is if the rest of the world hates you.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #103
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Obama's leadership ratings didn't fare well in Russia and Israel but the rest of the planet gave him favorable or very high marks. These evaporated under Trump to be even lower than 43.

I guess one way to think about national security is if the rest of the world hates you.
Jeff, you are always going to have differences with neighbors but the idea is not to start trouble. Trying to prevent such an occurrence and the ability to handle such is also incumbent on the office. A healthy respect is more valuable than a smile and a bow in some instances. There are plenty of folks out there that you may not wish to have a beer with. There are also plenty you may not tempt by F’ing with them. Of course the rest of the world liked O’bama,he blew them all kisses and gave them money for ice cream.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #104
Nebe

Quote:
Jeff, you are always going to have differences with neighbors but the idea is not to start trouble. Trying to prevent such an occurrence and the ability to handle such is also incumbent on the office. A healthy respect is more valuable than a smile and a bow in some instances. There are plenty of folks out there that you may not wish to have a beer with. There are also plenty you may not tempt by F’ing with them. Of course the rest of the world liked O’bama,he blew them all kisses and gave them money for ice cream.
It’s like you can be the douchebag neighbor or the cool neighbor.

I know who’s getting invited to all the cookouts...
Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #105
Sea Dangles

The one with the best weed!
Old 02-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #106
wdmso

According to the Washington Post, Trump has taken some 19 trips to Mar-A-Lago during his presidency so far. If the average cost of $3.4 million for the first four trips is extrapolated, that means the President's vacations have cost taxpayers at least $64.6 million. And that doesn't count travel to his club in Bedminster, N.J., where Trump goes in the summer.

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I say we cannot continue to let Obama fly around on Air Force 1, at a cost of millions of dollars a day, for the purpose of politics & play!

Yep no double standards On the Right
Old 02-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #107
Sea Dangles

Thanks for exposing that Wayne.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:56 AM   #108
wdmso

Quote:
Thanks for exposing that Wayne.
your welcome ... Just trying to help seeing your own
double standards, only allows you to respond to things that defend Trump...
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #109
Sea Dangles

How does me thanking you get construed as defending Trump?