Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Damn Packaging?!?!?!?

Went to open a new Ipod dock I got for Christmas yesterday......you know that plastic packaging they use on alot of stuff these days??? It can't be ripped, cut, torn or anything without a great deal of trouble and you run a better than average chance of cutting the bejesus out of your hand before you are done?!?!?!? You know....that stuff??? Why the hell do they feel the need to human proof this stuff???? Why can't they just pack it in good old, biodegradeable cardboard???? Not to mention its less expensive!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Backbeach Jake

I hate those packages too. I always break the product before I get it out. But, I just saw a product on the tube called the Package Shark. Cuts the edge right off, safely. Unfortunate name though....

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Jenn

[QUOTE=BigFish;446137] Why the hell do they feel the need to human proof this stuff???? QUOTE]

Thats exactly what they are doing (human proofing) because there are a lot of humans out there that have to pull things out of packages in the stores.............catch my drift? see their point?

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Raven

regular metal sheers will work just as well
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Mag Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Went to open a new Ipod dock I got for Christmas yesterday......you know that plastic packaging they use on alot of stuff these days??? It can't be ripped, cut, torn or anything without a great deal of trouble and you run a better than average chance of cutting the bejesus out of your hand before you are done?!?!?!? You know....that stuff??? Why the hell do they feel the need to human proof this stuff???? Why can't they just pack it in good old, biodegradeable cardboard???? Not to mention its less expensive!!!
Sonic-welded (ultrasonic vibrations) polyethylene terephthalate (aka PET/PETE). PET = same stuff as Coke Bottles.

Was there an anti-theft magnetic strip sandwiched inside the packaging where it couldn't be easily removed? If so......

Most likely answer......cost relative to function. Function.......among others, anti-theft. Unfortunately, there are many people out there who are not as honest as you. They'd rather get something for nothing.

I could be wrong. I've never seen that particular package. But from your description, I think I know what you're talking about.
Mag Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
EricW

[QUOTE=Jenn;446173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Why the hell do they feel the need to human proof this stuff???? QUOTE]

Thats exactly what they are doing (human proofing) because there are a lot of humans out there that have to pull things out of packages in the stores.............catch my drift? see their point?
I have a relative that manges a Walmart and he told me it is for loss prevention. My wife read a story online about people going to the emergency room with deep lacerations needing stitches caused by this stuff. Another things that is aggravating is fisher price using about a dozen little wire ties to tie everything to the box.
As soon as I get something new with that stuff I go right for the kitchen shears. Plain scissors wont touch the stuff, and you have to cut around the whole thing and separate the two parts. You can't just cut a corner off and pull apart.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

My nephew got so many toys this Christmas, it took us a couple hours to free them all from their packaging prisons, while he looked on, twitching out, wanting his toys. They even make the toys with holes to thread the wires thru. Thankfully, there was nothing in the plastic packaging of doom.

And...if stores had employees that could answer questions about their products, I bet there would be alot more unopened boxes.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote