Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

No Bass Left

So I told you so!!!!
It has come to pass that there are few if any decent fish left in the surf.

No one cared until it happened. I know the boat guys are still getting fish but every report I am getting from the shore guys is terrible.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Guppy
User

I’ve been wondering if there was anyway to give all the 24” (+-) fish a pass ... from what I gather there are an extraordinary amount of them up and down the coast... maybe if they where allowed to live their life out they’d rejuvenate the species....

Respectfully submitted! Sunday afternoon rocket scientist,,,,
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Higgie

Been a really tough go to this from the surf hit it pretty hard for the last couple month with a few guys from this site and there hasnt been one night that was worth wasting sleep all night for zero fish. I haven’t seen anything anywhere close to 20#’s. It it’s not for lack of effort or location. Fished cutty for three nights on the new moon in June even that was a bust. If you don’t think the stocks are in trouble then you clearly haven’t fished long enough to understand the downfall. Took two of nephews out for lmb Friday in wmass I hope someday the striper stocks increase again so they can have a shot at a fishery I once remember
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
hq2

Well at least we’re seeing plenty of smaller ones. That gives us some reason to hope. I mean, during the moratorium there was almost nothing out there at all. Still, it’s hard to see S-B fishing like it was around 2000 any time in the next few years.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
SAUERKRAUT
surfwalker

[QUOTE=piemma;1197268]So I told you so!!!!
It has come to pass that there are few if any decent fish left in the surf.
No one cared until it happened. I know the boat guys are still getting fish but every report I am getting from the shore guys is terrible.

Please understand that, when the Fall Season arrives, that there will be, once again, a million pounds less striped bass, from the commercial fishery greed fleet, pounding these fish on the bunker schools from Boston to Billingsgate.

Why is this? Because the commercial fishery industry and individuals involved enjoy and arrogate onto themselves, a carve out, special access to the resource that you and I do not have-- 15 fish harvest days; no slot size restrictions to preserve a breeder class of fish; circle hook exemptions; a "temporary" reprieve so a commercial can bypass selling to a licensed fish dealer/wholesaler, and "sell direct"--bypassing all monitoring and accountability; etc. You show me a commercial striped bass fisherman, and I will show you greed.
SAUERKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
Nebe

I saw this coming in 2006
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
Nebe

And sadly it won’t get better until those who are making money off of the fish stop making money off of them due to the fact that they can’t catch any more.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:31 AM   #8
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
And sadly it won’t get better until those who are making money off of the fish stop making money off of them due to the fact that they can’t catch any more.

And what about all the poachers?

It's not all commercials fault. Although they are an easy target.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #9
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
And what about all the poachers?

It's not all commercials fault. Although they are an easy target.
The poachers are a like Antifa. They exist but their impact is over stated in the reduction of the stock also is the argument's that recreational fishers take more fish .. this year I've caught more fish over 35 in then under ....but like it was mentioned the comms have no slot ,,, and the quota if met 1mil pounds all the fish are 35 in and larger here's some context a 35 in bass takes 10 years a 44in is 15 year took reach this size and they are under pressure along the most of the coast

Ny comms are 28 35 in. Nj and Connecticut seem to have no comm season? Ri now closed. But fish traps no limit min size 26in.

So we now have pogies you can walk on and no bass under most of them and a federal government who sees the environment and its fishery as fast money with sustainability seen as a liberal and environmental terrorism..

Still dont know how or why people eat bass with so many better choices flavor and texture which are easier to catch? But what do I know I am one voice in a sea of voices
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The poachers are a like Antifa. They exist but their impact is over stated in the reduction of the stock also is the argument's that recreational fishers take more fish .. this year I've caught more fish over 35 in then under ....but like it was mentioned the comms have no slot ,,, and the quota if met 1mil pounds all the fish are 35 in and larger here's some context a 35 in bass takes 10 years a 44in is 15 year took reach this size and they are under pressure along the most of the coast

Ny comms are 28 35 in. Nj and Connecticut seem to have no comm season? Ri now closed. But fish traps no limit min size 26in.

So we now have pogies you can walk on and no bass under most of them and a federal government who sees the environment and its fishery as fast money with sustainability seen as a liberal and environmental terrorism..

Still dont know how or why people eat bass with so many better choices flavor and texture which are easier to catch? But what do I know I am one voice in a sea of voices

Never seen ANTIFA. Seen ALOT of poaching... Poaching that is NOT figured into the non-commercial kill.

Always easier to look at the other group than within your own. (BTW I've been saying the stocks were in trouble longer than even Eben).

I'd personally love to see bass no-kill, and areas OFF LIMITS to recs/commercials.
I'd love to see the rules enforced to a greater degree.
I'd love for people fishing the EEZ to get their boats confisgated.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
Old 07-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Well, poachers are known to stir sh!t up for petty self serving needs and lack of being held as a child, so there is that

Short versions and have been saying for 20 years. Everyone, every group, needs to cut back (and yes get the poachers) drastically

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Nobody listened to us years many years ago....

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #13
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I almost hated to start this thread but it's not one or two guys telling me about the lack of fish, it's a Ton of guys.

It's not the Rec, poachers, comms., it's everyone because no one wants to declare the species a Game Fish. You do that, the stocks recover. You don't then the end is in sight.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I almost hated to start this thread but it's not one or two guys telling me about the lack of fish, it's a Ton of guys.

It's not the Rec, poachers, comms., it's everyone because no one wants to declare the species a Game Fish. You do that, the stocks recover. You don't then the end is in sight.
Provided It's ZERO possesion for everyone I am in agreement.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
Provided It's ZERO possesion for everyone I am in agreement.
Joe, no intentional Catch and release. No charters for SB for 2 to 3 years and then Game Fish status. Strictly C&R. A no Kill Fish, period!!!

Old 07-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Good plan Paul which will sadly never happen, anyone with a brain and who has striper fished since the moratorium, has seen this gradual decline and it accelerating in recent years. Don’t know if there is a correlation between the advent of Facebook and the like, but internet hero’s have probably contributed greatly to easy large kill spots like the canal being raped at prime times.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post

the sea robin bite is pretty good
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #18
niko

i'm not bass fishing this season, they need to be left alone for a bit. theres plenty of other options for me, fluking is more fun anyway

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #19
t.orlando

What disgusts me most is the MA EPOs flagrant refusal to do there jobs when it comes to the foreigner poaching epidemic at the canal. Every night for the past 6 weeks the same Asian and Brazilian groups that the EPOs got called on every night last year, are running over slot fish to their vehicles or vehicles that will meet them EVERY night....same exact spots as last year...with no threat of being caught. At least last year the EPOs were so fired up to catch a white comm guy that they would occasionally be out at night. And when they somehow accidentally catch one, they let them off. What a crock of #^&#^&#^&#^&. They should be ashamed of themselves. As Bill would say...Do your job
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #20
Steve K

I fish almost exclusively on BI and I along with others saw the change in 2004 and by 2007 I knew it was getting bad. I too agree that striped bass does not taste as great as so many other fish. It is all about how you cook it and what sauce you cover it in. The shore fisherman is screwed. Too little too late with the current regs.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #21
hq2

Back during the moratorium it was one fish at 36”. That meant you could go all year without a keeper.
I’m not sure if that’s the way to go now. I mean, it took close to 15 years for the stocks to recover the last time. Hope it won’t take that long this time; I’ll be too old to ‘yak for ‘em then.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #22
RickBomba

This time last year I ate bass twice a week.

I haven’t kept one this year.
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #23
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I’ve been wondering if there was anyway to give all the 24” (+-) fish a pass ... from what I gather there are an extraordinary amount of them up and down the coast... maybe if they where allowed to live their life out they’d rejuvenate the species....

Respectfully submitted! Sunday afternoon rocket scientist,,,,
Ugh, those two footers are worse then when the YED’s followed Clammer around in the early 2000’s.

I went out this morning all camoed up and Jesus, they were everywhere!

There was so much junk in the water I couldn’t get one crank in before I got fouled.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #24
fishbones

I admit that I’m a pretty lousy fisherman, but I fish with some guys that know how to catch big fish. This year has been the worst year for size and numbers so far and it’s not even close to other years that we considered bad. Fishing still beats sitting at home on the couch and watching tv though.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #25
Nebe

Maybe the bass got the Rona ?
Old 07-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #26
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Maybe the bass got the Rona ?
There’s no Rona, silly. Democrat hoax.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 07-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #27
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
Back during the moratorium it was one fish at 36”. That meant you could go all year without a keeper.
I’m not sure if that’s the way to go now. I mean, it took close to 15 years for the stocks to recover the last time. Hope it won’t take that long this time; I’ll be too old to ‘yak for ‘em then.
I fished before during and after the moratorium. It did take 15 years to recover but it will not recover this time without drastic measures that no one wants enacted.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #28
ivanputski
Pete K.

Far too many guys have the mentality of " well if I don't catch it and eat it, someone else is going to anyways... so it might as well be me".

And so it goes until you can't scrape another fish outta the ocean.

Surfcasting is something I looked forward to sharing with my sons... they are just about getting old enough, and its dead.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #29
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBomba View Post
There’s no Rona, silly. Democrat hoax.
For a minute there I thought you said there is no roni.🤭

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #30
RickBomba