Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 11-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Saltheart

old sliding glass window

I have an old (45 years maybe but still looks nice) sliding glass window that is double pane but it gets moisture condensation between the pains. Not a lot but enough to let me know it has moist air in it not some low conductivity gas. are there companies who pump out the air and refill with gas? how much roughly for a 6 foot wide two door slider?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
spence

I can't imagine a 45 year old window would be sealed well enough to retain any gas, which is good as it will let the moisture out as well. If it's not causing any rot or damage why bother?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I have an old (45 years maybe but still looks nice) sliding glass window that is double pane but it gets moisture condensation between the pains. Not a lot but enough to let me know it has moist air in it not some low conductivity gas. are there companies who pump out the air and refill with gas? how much roughly for a 6 foot wide two door slider?
I just priced out a vinyl slider, low e insulated glass with grids in the glass. Six ft wide by 6'8" tall, 4 5/8 jamb, total cost was 1200 for labor and materials. Slider was around 600 I think.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Not aware of any companies who pump new argon into installed windows. And if there was such a company, I highly doubt they would touch a unit from 1968... 45 years on a sliding door? It doesn't owe you anything, IMHO. If all it has for symptoms is a little moisture, you have done well. A quality slider will run you $1200-1500 plus installation. Vinyl will be cheaper. You get what you pay for.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Saltheart

Don't want to replace it. Its aluminum with like baked on enamel finish. As I said , still looks good. Apparently people don't think the small amount of condensation inside is a problem so I guess I'll just leave things as is.

Saltheart
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
buckman

A glass company can order a new piece of insulated glass. Not sure if its cost efficient but if you like the door and replacing it is a hassle it may be worth it to you .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Mike, what brand is it? Look on hardware, side of door for clues. Andersen also has their mark in lower corner of glass.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
A glass company can order a new piece of insulated glass. Not sure if its cost efficient but if you like the door and replacing it is a hassle it may be worth it to you .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
super expensive, I bet around 600 for a panel. My wife's niece I had to price out there slider after her husband shot a rock thru one side with the lawnmower, 585 for one panel and they couldn't match up the grid to the other side. That price was for the panel only and no labor. I told them to get a new one instead for that price.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Saltheart

As I remember it was a "Crest". I don't think that company exists anymore.

I don't want to spend that kind of money on it. I'm just going to pretend the condensation isn't there.

Saltheart
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
trevier

the way it is, it acts as if it's a single pane of glass, lots of energy loss that way.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Saltheart

Yes , that's the original concern but for 1200 plus the aggravation of replacing it I will just ignore it. I have thought about a window quilt or those thermo drapes they make but between the yard , the replacement windows and the bathroom renovation I'm about handyman'ed out this year.

Saltheart