Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
JFigliuolo

Man I love Hickory

In my wood stove. Burns better than oak. First time I got any delivered. It's nice

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

According to the Woodburners handbook I just happen to have right here it is basicly the same or just slightly higher than white oak in btu's. They list 6 true hickory's. Live oak is quite a bit higher, highest of all, but we don't see that around here I would think. I had a pignut, which is listed as a hickory, cut down a few years back and it was hard as a rock and burned quite nice, split nice too. I am just finishing up with a bunch of Beech a friend gave me. Worst spliting wood I have ever done, right up there with locust. Knarly stuff. I had to borrow a splitter after a while. Good score. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

turn a plug out of it and send it to me

hickory imo burns hotter than oak

burned some for the past 2 seasons and it was intense
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sylvester View Post
turn a plug out of it and send it to me

hickory imo burns hotter than oak

burned some for the past 2 seasons and it was intense
You know what??? I just might.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I have a bunch of shagbark hickory trees in the back yard. Great looking tree, and thorws mucho shade. Way too many nuts. Squirrels love the nuts though. I have burnt some that I had to cut down, and it was nice/hard wood. Smell wise I 'll stick with apple. When I have apple I throw it in the wood stove and go outside for awhile just to smell the smoke. Neighbors like it also.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Way too many nuts.
Oh man yo yo ma, 36 years with those trees in my front yard and i never saw as many nuts as this year. I had to rake them off everyday and even then it took a toll on my grass.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I have a bunch of shagbark hickory trees in the back yard. Great looking tree, and thorws mucho shade. Way too many nuts. Squirrels love the nuts though. I have burnt some that I had to cut down, and it was nice/hard wood. Smell wise I 'll stick with apple. When I have apple I throw it in the wood stove and go outside for awhile just to smell the smoke. Neighbors like it also.
Throw a few green twigs of apple in your grill next time you do a steak, what a difference.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Oh man yo yo ma, 36 years with those trees in my front yard and i never saw as many nuts as this year. I had to rake them off everyday and even then it took a toll on my grass.
This has been one fruit produceing year. Banner crops of beach plums, peaches, bay berries, wild cherries, just anything. Beach plums were especially astounding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beachplums 006.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	23741  

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I am just finishing up with a bunch of Beech a friend gave me. Worst spliting wood I have ever done, right up there with locust. Knarly stuff. I had to borrow a splitter after a while. Good score. P.
Paul, two things to remember when splitting locust; split from bottom, and preferably when it's frozen.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
This has been one fruit produceing year. Banner crops of beach plums, peaches, bay berries, wild cherries, just anything. Beach plums were especially astounding
I also found a great amount of Beach Plums this year also, on Sandy Neck. Wife made a ton of Jam too. I had my best year ever with blueberries. Must have picked at least 2 trash barrels and finally gave up as I got sick of them. I real wet spring followed by some nice hot weather is just what the doctor ordered for fruit. The occasional showers we got too help so much. You are right banner year.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
inTHERAPY

I thought you were gonna talk shad!

rather be fishin'
inTHERAPY is offline   Reply With Quote