Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
What ever happened with the CEOs threatening to fire people if Obama was re-elected?

Anything?
Anywhere?

HR send them a memo that they just set themselves up for wrongful termination lawsuits out the wazoo?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
tysdad115

Your fired!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
likwid
lobster = striper bait

I do the firing!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
buckman

Actually the company in Florida that i think your refering to did lay off people.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
fishbones

We're cutting back our hourly employees to part-time status so we aren't forced to pay for their health insurance.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Actually the company in Florida that i think your refering to did lay off people.
Laying people off is different from firing. The company is still paying.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Yeah, those employees are making out like bandits with their unemployment compensation. You have no idea what the maximum someone in FL can collect, do you? Look it up. Then factor in if they were on company medical insurance. If they were and need the insurance, COBRA will pretty much wipe out anything they get in UI benefits. Who's losing out here, they company or the ex-employee?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
If someone gets 'downsized' versus fired, how is the company paying for one and not the other? Companies are not required to pay severence for layoffs, are they?

For a CEO to say during an election, "if Obama gets elected, I'm firing some employees" is certainly bombastic. But if you don't think that the net effect of Obamacare will be fewer full-time jobs with benefits (and higher healthcare premiums for those with jobs), you need to take Economics 101 and/or get your information from different sources..

If Obamacare is so great, why are so many businesses seeking exemptions?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
If someone gets 'downsized' versus fired, how is the company paying for one and not the other? Companies are not required to pay severence for layoffs, are they?

For a CEO to say during an election, "if Obama gets elected, I'm firing some employees" is certainly bombastic. But if you don't think that the net effect of Obamacare will be fewer full-time jobs with benefits (and higher healthcare premiums for those with jobs), you need to take Economics 101 and/or get your information from different sources..

If Obamacare is so great, why are so many businesses seeking exemptions?
Companies ARE required to pay FUTA and state unemployment tax.
Therefore, they're still paying.

You should look into labor law if you have anyone under you. Quickly.

Haven't heard of any wrongful termination lawsuits because of the election, I'm sure they'll turn up sooner or later. Although, wrongful termination lawsuits are usually kept VERY quiet due to privacy of both parties concerns.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
fishbones

Quote:

Haven't heard of any wrongful termination lawsuits because of the election, I'm sure they'll turn up sooner or later. Although, wrongful termination lawsuits are usually kept VERY quiet due to privacy of both parties concerns.
So it doesn't matter to you that the ex-employees suffer as long as the company pays the taxes they're going to pay anyways? Who do you think gets hurt more in this scenario, the employee or the employer?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:

What's FUTA?

So the companies pay FUTA and unemployment tax if someone gets laid off, but not if they get fired?

I have several people who report to me. But I don't need to know about such things, that's why we have an HR department at my company.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
What's FUTA?

So the companies pay FUTA and unemployment tax if someone gets laid off, but not if they get fired?
Federal unemployment tax.
Termination can be contested, if determined to be "wrongful" the person can collect unemployment, and it goes against the company record considering unemployment tax is factored by both employee numbers and attrition rates.

Quote:
I have several people who report to me. But I don't need to know about such things, that's why we have an HR department at my company.
Thinking its only HR's responsibility to understand workers rights is a sure fire way to end up in an unemployment hearing.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
buckman

The employer doesn't pay for 99 weeks of unemployment !!
Pay attention man!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
The employer doesn't pay for 99 weeks of unemployment !!
Pay attention man!
There was no discussion of how long it pays out for, only the premise of it. I'm not sure I'm the one who needs to "pay attention" but we have now seen an example of HR running the company instead of being a service of the company as it should be. This is nothing new, and a huge problem in this country with business.

So, how many were laid off/switched to part time/terminated? Anyone got some numbers? Or is this going to be all hearsay?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
scottw

maybe your question and premise is hearsay...I Googled "CEO's threatening to fire people" and note that Thinkprogress, MSNBC and The HuffPO and the like characterize what some of these guys said as threats and threats to fire people but I don't see any of them actually threatening to fire anyone, they do talk extensively about the inability to grow and probably even downsize under the onerous regulatory climate and the prospect of 4 more years of increasing regulation, taxing and tinkering by this administration ...as was pointed out, many companies are moving employees to part time status due to Obamacare realities on the horizon....

Obamacare and the Labor Supply

and it's not just private business........

State grapples with insurance rules for part-time workers

GENERAL ASSEMBLY COVERAGE: Follow the latest news and updates from the 2013 session of Virginia's General Assembly.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:07 am |

State grapples with insurance rules for part-time workers

BY MICHAEL MARTZ AND OLYMPIA MEOLA Richmond Times-Dispatch Richmond Times-Dispatch

Virginia is struggling to redefine what “part time” means for public employees and their right to health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

The General Assembly has now affirmed Gov. Bob McDonnell’s decision to order state agencies to cut back part-time employee hours to no more than 29 a week to avoid triggering a requirement under the federal law to provide health insurance.

Under the federal health care law, employees who work 30 hours a week or more on average are considered to be full-time employees and are eligible for health insurance coverage.

But the state remains unsure of how the law’s requirement affects some employees, such as adjunct professors at community colleges, or how to make up the reduced hours without affecting services.

“We’re trying to get a really good grasp of who we have, what are the jobs they’re doing, if they’re working more than 30 hours, is it necessary, why?” Secretary of Administration Lisa Hicks-Thomas, said in an interview Friday.

Local governments face the same questions and challenges for their employees and workers in state-supported local positions, such as community services boards for people with behavioral health conditions.

“We are trying to come up with alternative plans in each situation and try to find a way to get the hours under the threshold or otherwise find ways to cover the work,” said Chesterfield County Administrator James J.L. Stegmaier.

Stegmaier said the county has worked part-time employees up to 32 hours a week, but is cutting them back to less than 30 hours a week, while trying to identify the potential effect on public services they deliver.

“We have put everybody on notice that it is an issue,” he said.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
“We’re trying to get a really good grasp of who we have, what are the jobs they’re doing, if they’re working more than 30 hours, is it necessary, why?” Secretary of Administration Lisa Hicks-Thomas, said in an interview Friday.
Thats not struggling, thats being clueless.

Quote McDonnell on their 2013 budget:
"We will not raise taxes on hardworking Virginians. This is a budget that embraces reform and sets priorities, makes Richmond live within its means and requires state government to be more efficient and effective. It positions Virginia for job creation and economic growth in the years ahead."

Long way to go there buddy, long way to go.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
scottw

I'd have a more productive conversation with a rock

just answer your own question in bold at the top of the page .....
Old 03-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
I'd have a more productive conversation with a rock

just answer your own question in bold at the top of the page .....
I asked the question, what happened to them? Apparently you need to swing back around after you pass grade school reading comprehension.

Seems threads go straight downhill as soon as you add your own flavor of "flair". Stick to booger eating, its more your speed.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
I asked the question, what happened to them? Apparently you need to swing back around after you pass grade school reading comprehension.

Seems threads go straight downhill as soon as you add your own flavor of "flair". Stick to booger eating, its more your speed.

like I said...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
like I said...
You said nothing but your usual clown car dribble, please come back when you have something productive to add! Thanks!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 03-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:

Seems threads go straight downhill as soon as you add your own flavor of "flair".

swing back around after you pass grade school reading comprehension

Stick to booger eating, its more your speed.

thats being clueless

You said nothing but your usual clown car dribble

please come back when you have something productive to add!

ironic
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
we have now seen an example of HR running the company instead of being a service of the company as it should be.
I sincerely hope you aren't saying that I provided an example of HR "running the company". I said HR is called in if there is an issue which requires HR expertise.

I work for a commercial lines insurance company.

If HR ran my company, we would be in serious trouble.. They handle the HR work - benefits, consulting on hiring and firing (making sure all laws are followed), all the pointless BS training like sexual harassment, etc...

I work smack in the middle of our business side of things, and I have almost no interaction with HR unless there is an issue which requires their expertise. If all the supervisors in the business were experts on all the labor laws, we wouldn't need an HR department, would we?

The folks in HR are not required to pass actuarial exams, nor are they required to know how to do the SQL programming for our data syatems...we have subject matter experts that handle that. Along those lines, actuaries are not required to be well-versed on labor law. I know not to pat the girls on their fannies for a job well done...
Old 03-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #23
scottw

probably a reading comprehension issue or not "paying attention"... more irony...too funny

still waiting for the names of the CEO's who said they'd fire people if Obama was re-elected.... there are examples of companies laying off right after the election which include Murray Energy and others who attribute the layoffs to the continuation of administration policies, there is certainly downsizing and layoffs and reduction in hours to compensate for Obamacare implementation...maybe the CEO's are waiting to see the President's Budget, which is nearly 2 month late...again...

let's see, NCAA Brackets..............check
Golf with Tiger Woods....check
Schedule Beyonce for wife's birthday.....check

budget......"ain't nobody got time for that"

a couple of good articles regarding the jobs data and reality...

A Gallup survey released the day before the Labor Department’s report noted:
Although fewer people are unemployed now than a year ago, they are not migrating to full-time jobs for an employer. In fact, fewer Americans are working full-time for an employer than were doing so a year ago, and more Americans are working part time.....An editorial in the New York Times successfully saw past the rosy surface numbers reported on Friday as well. It looked around at where job growth might come from. Housing? Some growth there, from a percentage basis. But when one is at the bottom, everything looks up from there. Car sales? Not so much. Rising wages? Not much help there either.

The Times also noted that the labor force is shrinking, so that whatever numbers the BLS reports aren't real:

Most of the decline [in unemployment] reflects a shrinking labor force rather than new hiring. In fact, if hiring were more robust, the unemployment rate would hold steady or even rise as the estimated four million Americans who are not working or looking for work rejoined the ranks of job seekers, where they would be counted in the official unemployment rate.

Furthermore, those who have been out of work for six months or more actually increased last month. If the economy were healthy, surely that number would be declining.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/econom...rs-aren-t-real

Mar 21, 2013, 3:02pm EDT

The truth about today's jobs numbers: Massachusetts is treading water

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...ent-truth.html

Last edited by scottw; 03-24-2013 at 05:45 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #24
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Either way it is not production or progress. It is putting less money into the market place which will have effect on other industries.

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #25
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
You said nothing but your usual clown car dribble, please come back when you have something productive to add! Thanks!
Pot meet kettle

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
let's see, NCAA Brackets..............check
Golf with Tiger Woods....check
Schedule Beyonce for wife's birthday.....check

budget......"ain't nobody got time for that"

I'm not sure how Obama gets away with that...rubbing elbows with the swells (as long as they are liberal swells) while letting SS and Medicare continue their march towards bankruptcy.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

While your at it, what ever happened to all the Hollywood elites that were
going to move out of the country if Bush got elected?

" Choose Life "
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
While your at it, what ever happened to all the Hollywood elites that were
going to move out of the country if Bush got elected?
They decided to stay in America but move out of California to avoid taxes instead !
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
JohnnyD

Quote:
They decided to stay in America but move out of California to avoid taxes instead !
Yeah, now they're screwing up Colorado.