Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #61
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
A single incident doesn't make a very good case. And someone who's trained to use a weapon?

It makes the case that semi-automatic weapons (and virtually all guns in civilian use are semi-automatic) no matter the size or appearance, have rapid fire capability. And have what you called similar "killing power" in close quarters such as a school room.

Nobody has said people kill simply because of looks. But to argue there isn't a cult like following around deadly weapons that has an influence is crazy.

You're trying to make your "case" by throwing in an unproven supposition, and one which is not the reason for mass killings. A sort of pile on technique used to strengthen a weak argument.

This is just a bunch of circling nonsense. It's a systems problem, you can't cherry pick single elements in an effort to discredit the entire thing.

You throw in a single element (which if taken out of the "system" would not alter the result) and then accuse me of cherry picking. Actually, you are cherry growing, throwing in as many elements that might color your argument as more full, but in actuality it clutters your thesis with irrelevant odds and ends.

Yea, let's go back to a time when women knew their place, gays stayed in the closet, the poor starved and minorities knew better than to mingle with the white folk.

Fess up. Is detbuch really Jeff Sessions?

Every time and place has its good and bad, even the wonderful world of here and now. The subject is mass killings. It is the now, the today, not the pre-1960's that causes us to fear mass school shootings. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater doesn't make for a better world. Your oversimplified and slanted view of another time overlooks what was once good and what is now bad. And worse, it overlooks similarities. What fundamentally motivated people then, and what basically motivates us now. Why did people kill then, why now. What glue held society together then, what does so now. Are we a more cohesive people now than then? Has our "diversity" fragmented us or made us more united? And what is it that will unify us more as a society, or "village."? And will that unification be one of consent or coercion?

There are basic, fundamental problems involving human nature that will go a lot farther if solved than bickering about what a gun looks like. Changing or eliminating guns does not change human nature.

Funny, most real progressives I know, and I don't know a lot of them believe in a democracy and liberty.
Apparently, the whole world, today, believes in democracy. Whoopee!! But Progressives view of liberty . . . well . . . let's put it this way . . . Progressives have a new view or definition of the old language. Liberty is, like all other words, what Progressivism says it is. The historical record and current practice of Progressive ideology says that "liberty" is whatever government and its experts allows it to be.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
That certainly is part of the solution. Unfortunately *any* measures to restrict *any* part of the process is viewed as an instant ride down the slippery slope to a dystopian militarized state devoid of liberty.

We're better than that.

Why would we have a federal registry for automatic weapons and not for some semi-auto which have proven in Vegas to be able to hit over 500 people in the span of a few minutes? Why can someone with the extreme track record of illness and violence be able to just walk in and purchase an assault weapon in a few minutes?

Why don't other Western countries have the same issues we do?
"Unfortunately *any* measures to restrict *any* part of the process is viewed as an instant ride down the slippery slope to a dystopian militarized state devoid of liberty"

It's the inly issue I know of, on which it's almost impossible to have a rational conversation with staunch conservatives.

"Why don't other Western countries have the same issues we do?"

In terms of the mass killings? Great question. We have a very small number of very sick folks who are way more violent than the sickest folks in other countries, I guess. It's not an indictment of most Americans, just the sickest.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #63
wdmso

I have said it before the NRA is going to cost its membership dearly . with their NO as a stance on everything gun related ... be part of the solution or the solution will be nothing your going to like ....

some one posted the constitution is for limited Government and seems unlimited fire arms as well ... they want it both ways
Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #64
Sea Dangles

That really makes no sense at all Jim. There is a culture here in the US that is inciting this crap somehow. If you don't consider this epidemic an indictment of our country then you may as well just say you are part of the problem too. I am past the point of denial,something is wrong.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #65
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Unfortunately *any* measures to restrict *any* part of the process is viewed as an instant ride down the slippery slope to a dystopian militarized state devoid of liberty"

It's the inly issue I know of, on which it's almost impossible to have a rational conversation with staunch conservatives.

"Why don't other Western countries have the same issues we do?"

In terms of the mass killings? Great question. We have a very small number of very sick folks who are way more violent than the sickest folks in other countries, I guess. It's not an indictment of most Americans, just the sickest.

Jim .. Fear sells guns and ammo the NRA is a Fear broker ..(look at the sales under Obama..) The NRA and Fox news promotes the Mutually Assured Destruction theory (only a good guy with a gun mantra) ,there will be a rush to buy and ammo if there is any gun control talk... its sad of all the things that go into mass shooting that the right loves to throw into the conversation( and manny are correct ) the one thing always absent in their analysis is mention of the gun and and the ease to get one and the availability of guns in America
Old 02-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
That really makes no sense at all Jim. There is a culture here in the US that is inciting this crap somehow. If you don't consider this epidemic an indictment of our country then you may as well just say you are part of the problem too. I am past the point of denial,something is wrong.
I think I did a rotten job of trying to articulate my point, sorry.

"There is a culture here in the US that is inciting this crap somehow"

I agree, but I don't know what it is. Why is our culture different from, say Germany or England? They watch the same movies, listen to the same music, right? Or look at the Dakotas. Everyone has guns, but except for what you watch on "Fargo", there is zero gun crime. Why is that?

"If you don't consider this epidemic an indictment of our country"

I don't think we have an epidemic of mass shootings. I mean one is way too many, but it's not common.

Street crime, on the other hand (like what happens in Chicago every weekend), is an epidemic and it's very easy to point to the causes.

"I am past the point of denial, something is wrong"

Oh I agree something is seriously wrong. I think our culture and moral compass need a major tune up, a return to 1950s family values, minus the racism.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim .. Fear sells guns and ammo the NRA is a Fear broker ..(look at the sales under Obama..) The NRA and Fox news promotes the Mutually Assured Destruction theory (only a good guy with a gun mantra) ,there will be a rush to buy and ammo if there is any gun control talk... its sad of all the things that go into mass shooting that the right loves to throw into the conversation( and manny are correct ) the one thing always absent in their analysis is mention of the gun and and the ease to get one and the availability of guns in America
"Fear sells guns"

You can say that again.

"Its sad of all the things that go into mass shooting that the right loves to throw into the conversation( and manny are correct ) the one thing always absent in their analysis is mention of the gun and and the ease to get one and the availability of guns in America"

Agreed.

And the left intentionally leaves out the violence that the entertainment industry bombards our kids with, and the horrific effect that the breakdown of the nuclear family has.

Everyone in the Dakotas has guns, but there is no crime. Because they care about each other. THERE'S THE ANSWER, to care about each other like they do. But Obama calls them bitter clingers, and Hilary calls them deplorable. And no one on the left (including the media except Foxnews) questions Obama and Hilary when they say these things.

That impedes progress, just as much as when the right says we need more guns. Both sides are thoughtlessly rigid in their ideology, both sides are close minded as can be. Both sides prevent solutions. Because we elect people based on how pretty and popular they are, or how much money they promise us, instead of electing people who care.

"
Old 02-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #68
Sea Dangles

You two are meant for each other. This has nothing to do with Obama or Trump. Nothing to with R or D.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #69
spence

Quote:
I agree, but I don't know what it is. Why is our culture different from, say Germany or England? They watch the same movies, listen to the same music, right? Or look at the Dakotas. Everyone has guns, but except for what you watch on "Fargo", there is zero gun crime. Why is that?
Because it's not true. Death by firearms in the Dakota's is in the lower third of all states but it's double NY, NJ, RI, MA, HI etc...

Worst offenders were all heavy Trump states. Go figure.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #70
spence

Quote:
You two are meant for each other. This has nothing to do with Obama or Trump. Nothing to with R or D.
There's a deeper breakdown that's creating anger in men that doesn't know how to vent and I agree it has nothing to do with politics. I read the other day that only 5% of mass shooters had a diagnoseable mental illness. While Cruz certainly had issues going after mental illness like Trump has been is just a way to excuse the violence as nothing we can address.

I don't think it has anything to do with the breakdown of the family either Jim. You love to cite stats around the breakdown of black families but mass shootings by non black killers are 5 times higher and most of that is likely gang crime.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #71
detbuch

Quote:
There's a deeper breakdown that's creating anger in men that doesn't know how to vent and I agree it has nothing to do with politics. I read the other day that only 5% of mass shooters had a diagnoseable mental illness. While Cruz certainly had issues going after mental illness like Trump has been is just a way to excuse the violence as nothing we can address.

In a free society, violence is addressed by punishing the perpetrator. In an authoritarian society, it is diminished by punishing everybody.

I don't think it has anything to do with the breakdown of the family either Jim. You love to cite stats around the breakdown of black families but mass shootings by non black killers are 5 times higher and most of that is likely gang crime.
We have evolved into a society where the influence of family units is progressively undermined by the power and influence of the larger "family," the state. It is more of an appropriation of some of the control and influence that family units had rather than a breakdown of that control and influence. Though it is resisted by many who still believe in what Jim refers to as family values, it is gladly consented to by many of the post-1960-government-educated who want to be released from total or near total responsibility.

The different "systems" produce different societal results.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
R's won't budge on guns. D's won't budge on culture, morality, family values, whatever you want to call it.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #73
Jim in CT

Quote:
Because it's not true. Death by firearms in the Dakota's is in the lower third of all states but it's double NY, NJ, RI, MA, HI etc...

When you cherry pick the way you look at the data, sometimes you can make it say what you want.

When you normalize gun deaths by state, with gun ownership by state (which is the correct way to look at it if you want to know if guns are the cause of gun deaths), deaths are very low in the Dakotas.

"I don't think it has anything to do with the breakdown of the family either Jim."

Of course you don't. That would mean conservatives have a point, and you'll never, ever concede that.

Parents who are engaged with their kids and who give a sh*t about their kids, are aware of whether or not their kids, however they got there, are at the point of snapping.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:

The fatherlessness in black culture has very little to do with these rare mass shootings. It has a lot to do with everyday street crime, like the 500 homicides a year in Chicago. True or false?

And I hate citing those stats. But they are worth citing when talking about things that are driven by those stats.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
We have evolved into a society where the influence of family units is progressively undermined by the power and influence of the larger "family," the state. It is more of an appropriation of some of the control and influence that family units had rather than a breakdown of that control and influence. Though it is resisted by many who still believe in what Jim refers to as family values, it is gladly consented to by many of the post-1960-government-educated who want to be released from total or near total responsibility.

The different "systems" produce different societal results.
"it is gladly consented to by many of the post-1960-government-educated who want to be released from total or near total responsibility"

Bingo. And the results speak for themselves.

And it's gladly consented to by the idiotic masses, because abdicating responsibility for raising your kids to the schools, is a lot easier than taking on that responsibility. My life would be a lot easier if I could spend all day indulging myself instead of spending today making breakfast for 5, playing on the swings, taking one kid to basketball practice, taking another to a hitting lesson, then taking them all to see the Harlem Globetrotters. I could be drinking beer at the Springfield Camping Show instead, and letting my kids fend for themselves on the Internet. But I believe I forfeited that right when I decided to have kids (not a permanent forfeit, I can indulge myself again when my second grader is out of college, 14 more years of my being enslaved).

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-17-2018 at 05:00 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #76
Sea Dangles

Quote:

Spence, thanks for proving that you are just as guilty. This spree has no party affiliation. Don't associate it in such a way. Very shallow agenda Jeff

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #77
spence

Quote:
Spence, thanks for proving that you are just as guilty. This spree has no party affiliation. Don't associate it in such a way. Very shallow agenda Jeff
Pffffttt...the causes might not be partisan but the desire to work on the problem most certainly is.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #78
detbuch

Quote:
Pffffttt...the causes might not be partisan but the desire to work on the problem most certainly is.
Jim just showed two posts above this how hard folks with old fashioned family values, many of whom are Republicans, work on the problem. What are the odds that Jim's kids will fall in love with the sexiness of an AR-15, or any other gun, and then shooting up a school full of children.

But if we insist that Trump, or federal politicians (who do such a great job in every thing else) make it better, then the problem will get "fixed." But never mind that when those politicians fix something, their solutions usually create more problems. And let's not get hung up on that their solutions tend to go astray of the Constitution and wind up in their getting more power at the expense of ours. After all, they have these wonderful, reasonable discussions with each other. And somehow get richer, more powerful, and more entrenched.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #79
Pete F.
Canceled

Something interesting to read
https://brenebrown.com/blog/2017/11/08/gun-reform-speaking-truth-bull#^&#^&#^&#^&-practicing-civility-affecting-change/
Old 02-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #80
Sea Dangles

Quote:
But that is not the statement that I responded to Jeff,is it? If you think hard you may even recognize that you changed topics.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #81
detbuch

Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
It is?

So your party encouraging black teenage girls to have babies, is solving the problem?

Your party being in bed with Hollywood poisoning our kids with violence that makes them desensitized to it, is solving the problem?

Put down the Kool Aid for a split second and be honest would it kill you?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #83
wdmso

The agency was "spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign", Mr Trump tweeted.
The White House has refused to release a photo of President Donald Trump signing a law making it easier for some people with mental illness to buy guns.

the president's own annual budget proposed this week would cuts hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for mental health programmes.

Look at what they do not what the say Trump is regurgitating what Fox news or should I say the Trump news network . Was saying after the shooting
Old 02-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #84
spence

Quote:
So your party encouraging black teenage girls to have babies, is solving the problem?
Really Jim?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #85
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The agency was "spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign", Mr Trump tweeted.
How vile this is is beyond words.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #86
Sea Dangles

It's not so much what they did as what they didn't do. Terrible stain on this agency.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #87
zimmy

Quote:
R's won't budge on guns. D's won't budge on culture, morality, family values, whatever you want to call it.
Culture, morality, family values? Look at who the dems elected in 08 and 12 compared to who the republicans elected in 16.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #88
zimmy

Quote:
It is?

Your party being in bed with Hollywood poisoning our kids with violence that makes them desensitized to it, is solving the problem?

Put down the Kool Aid for a split second and be honest would it kill you?
You may think you are honest with yourself, but that doesn't mean what you say is factually correct. The same jack in the boxes that spew this crap to get elected are the ones cheating on their wives. The majority of the country sees through the bs of the 1950's culture you seem to think is utopia. By the way, birth rates among black and hispanic teens today are about 25% what they were in 1990 after 12 years of Republican leadership. The lowest rates by the way are all the NE states, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WI,MN, WA, UT, IA. See a trend?

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #89
Jim in CT

Quote:
Really Jim?
God damn right, really. Read the report written by the late great liberal senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who (when he was Secretary of Labor, I think??) predicted decades ago that liberal welfare would mean the end of the black nuclear family, which would be a catastrophe for poor blacks.

When he wrote that report, people like you said "really, Mr Moynihan?"

He was exactly, 100 percent correct. To this day, liberals refuse to concede that he was right. Despite everything happening right under your noses, you deny it. That's productive.

That's liberalism. You implement a liberal idea. if it works, you say "see, liberalism works". When it fails, you stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la la".
Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #90
Jim in CT

Quote:
How vile this is is beyond words.
It's truly a vile thing to say.

It's vile to use that event as a club against those with whom you disagree. It's vile when Trump does it, and it's vile when Senator Chris Murphy does it.