Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Washington Navy Yard Shooting - Sept 16 - Flag ordered lowered Sept 17 = 24 hours

Fort Hood Shooting - November 5 - Flag Ordered lowered November 6 = 24 Hours

Boston Marathon Bombing - April 15 - Flag Ordered Lowered on April 16 = 24 Hours

Newtown Shooting - December 14 - Flag Ordered Lowered on December 14 = less that 24 hours

Benghazi Attack - Sept 11 - Flag Lowered on Sept 12 = 24 Hours

Oak Creek Sikh Temple Shooting - Aug 5 - Flag Ordered Lowered Aug 6 = 24 Hours

Aurora Colorado Shooting - July 20 - Flag Ordered Lowered on July 20 = Less than 24 Hours

Tucson Arizona Shooting - Jan 8 - Flag Ordered Lowered on Jan 9 = 24 Hours

is that a good enough sample to show the time frame for such orders.....and does this blow the "Business as Usual" theory out of the water.

I also didn't say it was an Intentional Diss.....I said, and I quote, "he completely #^&#^&#^&#^&-ing dropped the ball there and has No Excuse."

and as much as I don't want to sound like Jim....Try and make that wrong
Spence, you just got your azz handed to you. On top of that, after SCOTUS legalized gay marriage, it also just took a few hours to illuminate the White House in rainbow colors.

Spence, what is your response to this, exactly?

"I also didn't say it was an Intentional Diss"

Fine, I'll say it. It didn't occur to him initially, then Foxnews started complaining, and he wasn't going to appear to be taking orders from Sean Hannity, so he stubbornly refused to give the order, until the governors (even liberal democrats) shamed him into doing it.

"as I don't want to sound like Jim"

Well that's a little harsh, IMHO.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #32
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I wouldn't think an intentional diss, more like a semi-intitutionalized-directed disregard. Even if it is a fall through the cracks (should not be) it is too much.

For an administration that has a protocol for a lot of things, surely there is a coordinator for something like this for a nation supposedly at war for almost a decade and a half

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #33
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Well that's a little harsh, IMHO.
Its not all Puppy Dogs and Rainbows here.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Its not all Puppy Dogs and Rainbows here.....
Fair enough!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I wouldn't think an intentional diss, more like a semi-intitutionalized-directed disregard. Even if it is a fall through the cracks (should not be) it is too much.

For an administration that has a protocol for a lot of things, surely there is a coordinator for something like this for a nation supposedly at war for almost a decade and a half
I don't know that he did it maliciously. i just don't think he has any appreciation, nor any concern, for the way that normal peopl efeel about such things.

When Nixon won a 49-state rout, there was an editor at the New York Times (I need to look up her name) who famously said "I can't believe he won, I don't know anyone who voted for him". The man won 49 out of 50 states, and this women, who was a big-shot at the NYT, never saw it coming, and couldn't understand how it was possible.

These people, the liberal swells, tend to surround themselves with like-minded people, drinking hot toddies on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, discussing poetry and existentialism. They are guilty of solipsism, unable to grasp that the whole world isn't exactly like them. They have absolutely no idea, nor could they care less, about people with whom they disagree.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #36
JohnR

Quote:
I don't know that he did it maliciously. i just don't think he has any appreciation, nor any concern, for the way that normal peopl efeel about such things.
I disagree, there is a staff of people (Office) that handle various coordination between the Military and the White House. So while "O" likely did not do this intentionally himself, someone brought this to someone and was told to shut up, not now, or kicked the can down the road for someone else to bother with it.

Quote:
These people, the liberal swells, tend to surround themselves with like-minded people, drinking hot toddies on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, discussing poetry and existentialism. They are guilty of solipsism, unable to grasp that the whole world isn't exactly like them. They have absolutely no idea, nor could they care less, about people with whom they disagree.
Yes, Flyover country. Oddly, where Spence is from

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
I disagree, there is a staff of people (Office) that handle various coordination between the Military and the White House. So while "O" likely did not do this intentionally himself, someone brought this to someone and was told to shut up, not now, or kicked the can down the road for someone else to bother with it.

I agree with everything you are saying. Lots of speculation. But we all know that Obama knows what happened in Tennessee. He's the commander-in-chief, he's their commander-in-chief. Ultimately the buck stops with him (at least it did for the first 43 presidents). But I would genuinely like to know, did he actually deny someone's request to give the order, or did it never come up?

Who knows.

More good news, latest Quinnipiac University polls show Hilary is tanking big-time in all but the bluest states. I am dying to know what Joe Biden is going to do. This is the political opportunity he's been waiting fopr his whole life.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #38
Fly Rod

Jim nothing wrong with your neighbor flying a tattered flag only the way it is suppose to be detroyed...maybe U should have bought a flag and gave it to him in a friendly gesture since U R so concerned....U and your neighbors may have other issues with him/her...

By the way Marine U flying a flag year round?

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #39
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If the flag looks like crap....Per the US Flag Code...

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

and if he's flying it all winter, I hope he's taking it down at night or at least has a light on it.

US Flag Code

"It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness."

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #40
spence

Quote:
Spence, you just got your azz handed to you. On top of that, after SCOTUS legalized gay marriage, it also just took a few hours to illuminate the White House in rainbow colors.

Spence, what is your response to this, exactly?
Actually he just validated my point. Given the Obama Administration appears to have a consistent pattern in regards to flying the flag, one would likely assume this was just an oversight by someone else...unless there's information otherwise which I don't believe there is.

It's fake outrage that fits the narrative of Obama not loving this country because of his Kenyan sensibilities.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Jim nothing wrong with your neighbor flying a tattered flag only the way it is suppose to be detroyed...maybe U should have bought a flag and gave it to him in a friendly gesture since U R so concerned....U and your neighbors may have other issues with him/her...

By the way Marine U flying a flag year round?
You're confusing me with Jim.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #42
spence

Quote:
Yes, Flyover country. Oddly, where Spence is from
Huh? Iowa isn't exactly full of "liberal swells"
Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #43
spence

Quote:
If the flag looks like crap....Per the US Flag Code...

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."
I would estimate there's about 27% of the original US flag left.

Quote:
and if he's flying it all winter, I hope he's taking it down at night or at least has a light on it.
You're joking right?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #44
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You exemplify my last post, good work.
Well,that must be satisfying.

Make sure you ignore the facts and continue to grasp at straws. Even when you are wrong,you keep insisting you are right. Silly Jeff
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #45
JohnR

Quote:
It was a good opportunity to discuss with my 11 year old proper flag etiquette again.

I'll bring that up as an option. Thanks.
No problem. We would be glad to do it - I'll even pick up the flag from him.

Quote:
Huh? Iowa isn't exactly full of "liberal swells"
You just made my /sarc point - you would be in a decidedly small minority in your home state.

Quote:
I would estimate there's about 27% of the original US flag left.

You're joking right?
Nope - sunrise to sunset, afterward it must be lit.

Kevin is extremely well versed in the Flag code / etiquette. Surprisingly how most people don't know much about it - guess it is taboo to talk about in schools today (and the last 40 years)

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #46
Fly Rod

Jim I have to aplogize .

I am very sorry for the mix up.

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 07-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
Actually he just validated my point. Given the Obama Administration appears to have a consistent pattern in regards to flying the flag, one would likely assume this was just an oversight by someone else...unless there's information otherwise which I don't believe there is.

It's fake outrage that fits the narrative of Obama not loving this country because of his Kenyan sensibilities.
Man oh man. When Obama said there were 57 states, was he wrong then? Or did he acquire additional states in a nanosecond, and then sell them in the next nanosecond.
My outrage isn't fake, it's as genuine as it gets. There's not one loyal follower of rev wright who doesn't hate this country, nor a political ally of bill ayers, and you can throw his wife in the mix of America bathers. You'll never hear me say he's not a citizen, though.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Jim I have to aplogize .

I am very sorry for the mix up.
No worries, if I had a dollar for every time I confused who said what. I have an illuminated flag on my house, but I'm Personally not a fanatic about it, in terms of what others do, I usually don't concern myself with what some person does on his own property.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:

In other words, if it always took Obama a week to lower the flag, you give him a pass. And if he usually takes less than a day to do it, you still give him a pass. In other words, no matter what, he is impeccable. Must be awfully convenient to be validated regardless of what the facts happen to be. The climate change kooks take the same approach. No matter what, it's man made climate change that will have Fairbanks exporting rum and sugar cane any day now.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-23-2015 at 05:32 PM..
Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #50
spence

Quote:
You just made my /sarc point - you would be in a decidedly small minority in your home state.
Your calculus has an error as you are misdefining variables.

Quote:
Kevin is extremely well versed in the Flag code / etiquette. Surprisingly how most people don't know much about it - guess it is taboo to talk about in schools today (and the last 40 years)
I'm no expert but I know all the fundamentals. Haven't seen him yet…soon...