Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

30# test is not enough for the ditch

Computers suck going to have to start my rant all over...this may take a minute....

I have had it with people fishing gear that is too light for the canal. Sure you can catch a bass on 30 pound test , hell you can do it with 4 pound test but it isn't right when there are others fishing near you.
I am going to give you 10 minutes to 15 minutes tops to get your fish out of my way unless I can see the gear and the angler are up to the challenge...if it looks like you are using 20# test and light gear than we are going to have a problem, my 60# is coming.
It is fine when there is no crowd but when there is it is just inconsiderate.
I get to a spot I want to fish hours before the spot is good and there usually isn't anyone near me. So if you show up later than me and think I am going to wait long for you to land a fish guess again, my 60# or 80# is going right over your line after a reasonable wait 10-15 minutes

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 06-10-2012 at 02:09 PM..
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
JohnnyD

I've switched a fair amount of gear from 50# to 30# or 40#. Significantly more casting distance this way.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Nebe

30 lb braid is for casting. 60 lb braid is for catching.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Let me just say this----it's the Indian, not the arrow.

30# test is plenty for the Ditch.

10-15 minutes is 5-10 minutes more than I need to land a fish. Even with 30# braid.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

If I take too long for you maybe cuz my fish was foulhooked or like happened to me last week- plug across the mouth with mouth wide open- and you have a problem with that, well that's too bad for you.
I'm sure it's frustrating when people plant themselves next to you when you got up early to get there, it has happened to all of us. Sometimes ya want to changes locations and you don't know how early the person got there. 30 lb is enough for plug caught bass. Jigging requires more in my opinion.

MikeP is correct
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Computers suck going to have to start my rant all over...this may take a minute....

I have had it with people fishing gear that is too light for the canal. Sure you can catch a bass on 30 pound test , hell you can do it with 4 pound test but it isn't right when there are others fishing near you.
I am going to give you 10 minutes to 15 minutes tops to get your fish out of my way unless I can see the gear and the angler are up to the challenge...if it looks like you are using 20# test and light gear than we are going to have a problem, my 60# is coming.
It is fine when there is no crowd but when there is it is just inconsiderate.
I get to a spot I want to fish hours before the spot is good and there usually isn't anyone near me. So if you show up later than me and think I am going to wait long for you to land a fish guess again, my 60# or 80# is going right over your line after a reasonable wait 10-15 minutes
I guess I,m going to sign up for fishen leasons in Easton,ma.so that I can learn the --new way to fish the canal.
Beter yet maybe I should try for the Midol concession stand along the canal . Sounds like we have an influx of little girls. NOT YOU H.F.G.
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
I guess I,m going to sign up for fishen leasons in Easton,ma.so that I can learn the --new way to fish the canal.
Beter yet maybe I should try for the Midol concession stand along the canal . Sounds like we have an influx of little girls. NOT YOU H.F.G.
I think she's about 6' tall, so the little girl wouldn't apply to her anyway.

That, and probably being one of the most level-headed people online over on that other site.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Saltheart

15 minutes is a long time to land even a big fish. Now I am not going to deliberately cross someones lines cause I'm tired of waiting but to me 15 minutes seems like plenty of time.

Lots of people fish with the gear they have. Not everyone has a pole for every occasion or 3 poles just for the ditch like some of us. To me , if the gear is too light , you are going to lose the fish in 15 minutes by wear or a break off so again 15 minutes seems like a long time.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
15 minutes is a long time to land even a big fish. Now I am not going to deliberately cross someones lines cause I'm tired of waiting but to me 15 minutes seems like plenty of time.

Lots of people fish with the gear they have. Not everyone has a pole for every occasion or 3 poles just for the ditch like some of us. To me , if the gear is too light , you are going to lose the fish in 15 minutes by wear or a break off so again 15 minutes seems like a long time.
I think 5 minutes is plenty of time in most cases. But I also think 5 minutes feels like 15 sometimes when you're fighting a fish or waiting for someone to land one. I've never seen anyone take 15 minutes to land a fish in the canal.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I think 5 minutes is plenty of time in most cases. But I also think 5 minutes feels like 15 sometimes when you're fighting a fish or waiting for someone to land one. I've never seen anyone take 15 minutes to land a fish in the canal.
I agree... 5 minutes Feels like 15 when you have a big Fish on. 30lb for pluging is fine never had a problem.I use 50 for Jigging. I've had hooks bend straight before a break off. Thats why all my Plugs Have VMC.
the point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

I apologize to one and all. Had a bad morning with honey having me --try--to help with the housework.
It's hard for me to be king with a vacuum cleaner in my hand
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
BobT

I'm old so it may take a little time for me to land a fish. 30# for plugging and 40 for jigging. If you're in a rush and cast over me, your line WILL be cut.

Big Daddy-Bob Sr.
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
... 5 minutes Feels like 15 when you have.....
.....to wait for the guy on the side of you to reel in his fish while it's swimming out in front of you....

Get your grump on....

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
.....to wait for the guy on the side of you to reel in his fish while it's swimming out in front of you....

Get your grump on....
Once it's in front of you, he has it under control. That's when I just start fishing again.

I always tell the guys down-current of me when they're good to go.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Once it's in front of you, he has it under control. That's when I just start fishing again.

I always tell the guys down-current of me when they're good to go.
exactly

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Why stop at 50?

Make it a new requirement to use atleast 100lb braid.

Make sure to bring your calipers and line diameter guide.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Why stop at 50?

Make it a new requirement to use atleast 100lb braid.

Make sure to bring your calipers and line diameter guide.
Might as well Go all out....Here's My New Jigging set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penns.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	52244  
the point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I fish 30# on the beaches .. I like 50 at the canal so I can bounce a jigg , rubber duck ,, still cast a plug great . I know some people are still fishing 20# mono .. To each his own , until your in a crowd and fish are blitzing in the canal. Then I believe it does become inconsiderate . Never been a big fan of playing a fish until it has nothing left . I think it's good c&r to beast it in and let it swim away with gas in the tank.

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
This should be posted on atleast 3 more fishing sites.
And facebook.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
ecduzitgood
time to go

If anything I am trying to help newbies to the canal. All of you who fish 30# or under and have experience fishing the ditch probably avoid the mainland 170 to 220 zoo because you already know there may be problems with the gear you use and the newbies around you. Plus how many of you that take offense to my opinion don't land a 25 pound or less fish in 10 to 15 minutes?
If it makes you feel better I found out how too much pressure can be a bad thing and lost 3 fish I shouldn't have lost except for my mistakes.
Friday after landing a 32 pounder in less than 10 minutes, the 5/0 Owner hook on the Sebile salt and sun 182 bonga that I used inplace of the 4/0 4x vmc on my 182 stick shadd bent twice (2 of 3 hooks) and I didn't notice the slight bend until after losing the second fish.
Then on Saturday after switching the hook to a 5/0 4x vmc and using 100# roscoe split ring I had a decent fish open the split ring and make off with my new hook.
If you catch a fish with a new 5/0 vmc trebble stuck in it you can keep the hook.....I would like the fish though because I got my hook there first
Loving my new Century 1328 I got Thursday, man can that rod apply pressure paired up with my Saltist 6000 and 60# Jerry brown 16 strand hollow braid. I am switching to 50# slick 8 when my Saltiga 6000 gets here this week so I am adjusting to the new way to fish the ditch.
I have fished nothing but conventionals and mono for over 30 years and been spooled twice...never again.

My next rant will address casting from the access road while someone is fishing below you.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 06-10-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The day it takes me 15 minutes to land a 25 pound fish is the day I sell all my rods and take up golf.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
The day it takes me 15 minutes to land a 25 pound fish is the day I sell all my rods and take up golf.
Just making sure everyone understands that I have no problem with people who use it and use it well. I am sure you and I would have no problem fishing together; but don't you think for most people 30#test is too light?
Anyone who took offense to my saying after 10-15 minutes waiting I'm casting think about what you reacting to.
At the most I could see perhaps I wasn't clear when I said if the angler and gear weren't up to the challenge. To be a little more specific if your wearing sneakers and have gear that looks better suited for schoolies (you know the type).
I did not mean people who have experience in conditions similar and know how to deal with it using lighter gear.
I also didn't mean people who have physical limitations including age, both young and old (I will wait patiently and even cheer them on because the fish they catch will mean more to them then the fish I'm not catching at the time).
I hope some of you will forgive me for voicing my opinion.
I really wonder how much more distance most people get when they go from 50# to 30# test?
I really should find a place to see just how far I am capable of casting my 80# and 60# on my vs300 against my saltist 6000 with 60# and a slatiga 6000 with 50#.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #23
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Anyone who took offense to my saying after 10-15 minutes waiting I'm casting think about what you reacting to.

the way it was worded and sounded, it seemed like after that time period you would cast your heavy braid and just reel in the other line or cross it on purpose

I understand now
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #24
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
the way it was worded and sounded, it seemed like after that time period you would cast your heavy braid and just reel in the other line or cross it on purpose

I understand now
Sorry folks, I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. Sometimes I can't get my thoughts worded properly while trying to sift through all the chatter in my mind. It is very frustrating at times, especially when I apparently time out and have to start all over again. If I can't use a hammer or a wrench on it I am not very good with it
Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #25
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
Might as well Go all out....Here's My New Jigging set up
It's funny you picked those set ups. Back in the 80's I got spooled over by midgate with 30# on my squidder while fishing bait. This was the second time I had been spooled so it really bothered me and I wanted to see the fish that spooled me. This is where I go off the deep end. I returned to the boat and grabbed a stand up tuna rod but decided that I couldn't really cast it so I spooled one of my squidders with 130# dacron from one of our tuna rods and put it on a boat rod and returned to that spot and threw a whole mackerel with a 8 ounce weight waiting for another chance at whatever spooled me. I was old enough that I felt somewhat embarrassed with people seeing that huge black dacron going from the rod to the water, but I was pissed at getting spooled again. I still am, which might explain my preference for such heavy gear. I am dropping down to 50# braid so perhaps there is hope for me, but to be honest I am still a little concerned.
Think what you want of me, as long as you are entertained it's all good...right.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post

I understand now
I don't know how you could have jumped to that conclusion.

Quote:

So if you show up later than me and think I am going to wait long for you to land a fish guess again, my 60# or 80# is going right over your line after a reasonable wait 10-15 minutes

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I don't know how you could have jumped to that conclusion.
What...no welcome back Kevin? When was the last time it took you more than 10 minutes to to get a fish out of someones way?
It's time to wash my hands of this issue
Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I'm with ya Mike...I do the same,, just having fun as usual.
For the most part, you know when your fish has no more umph and the next guy can cast...same goes if you've watched the guy to the side of you battle his fish, you have a good idea of when you can cast yourself...experience teaches you that. Unfortunately, there are still those that want to get out there at any cost...

I do feel your pain though ECduzit....I actually had a good laugh at the expense of this thread this past weekend (same place). Fishermen were stacked up like cord-wood,,, 2 guys down from me, guy gets whacked....FISH ON!! Immediately after hook-up, the guy literally ...just stands there. Holds his rod tip up high loosens the drag and stands there....drag is peeling, he's doing nothing. After a hard minute (which is actually a long time) he starts moving up to the service road....HASN'T TURNED THE HANDLE ONCE or ADJUSTED THE DRAG, just working his way up the rocks!!!...So now he's up on the service road, waits a little longer and then after a brief "look-at-me" stare to the surrounding people...he starts reeling in....and reeling...and reeling, fish took quite a bit of line. He shakes his arm as if its tired from this monster bass at the end of his line. He definitely has the attention of the surrounding fishermen. We're all anxiously as well as courteously waiting to see this 50+#er...Due to the amount of line he fed out, he's taken out at least 4 people to his right. Again, we're all waiting...at this point, not mad...because it will be worth it once we see this behometh of a Striper.

Guy finally lands it...........35 INCH fish. Lots of pissed off fishermen....then the guy strings it out back into the Canal. Another No-No.... Not really worth getting upset about this stuff, when your fishing in an environment like the CCC in May/June, this is expected. That's why quite a few don't fish those morning tides...they're willing to make the necessary sacrifices to have their serenity. I still find humor in it all, but with age comes grumpiness...(so this Forum suggests)

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #29
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Hey last week I popped a mid twenties in front of a guy who just dropped one. He was about to cast again and I yelled over, "Sir, could you give me a minute", and he did. I don't think he was pissed. He waited and saw my fish to his right and he cast up and over my line to play the tide, which was perfectly acceptable. Five or ten minutes to play a fish in the ditch, hmmm, I don't agree. If your there second maybe, but when you've been there since 2 a.m. and and someone comes along at 6 a.m. play it how you want. I think everyone fishes differently and n o one here has the right to set a time limit on who does what. Don't like how the next guy is doing it, thier is an answer to that.

You guys are spoiled. If you haven't seen and participated in an albie blitz at Wasque or Edgartown Harbor, the crowd at the canal is nothing.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #30
Backbeach Jake

Wink

Quote:
I've seen you take that long or longer, BUT the fish was on the far side of a bridge abutment. Time and patience won out and I learned something. It was worth the wait.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote