Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #31
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don't think Obama is deaf, it's just a very complex situation.
Don't worry, Trump will fix it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's easy to say if we had a residual force everything would be peachy, but it wouldn't have fixed the underlying issues stemming from de-bathification and ongoing repression of the Sunni minority. Worse perhaps it would give the impression that we were endorsing it. It also would have likely sucked the US right back into a ground war...which ISIS would simply love.

I don't think Obama is deaf, it's just a very complex situation.
"It's easy to say if we had a residual force everything would be peachy,"

Yes it is easy to say that. You know why? Because we have empirical evidence we can look at, to see what the impact of the Surge was. It was a spectacular success, because sometimes force works.

That's the thing about liberalism. Liberals get these ideas in their heads, and some of them sound great (for example, let's eliminate poverty by giving money to poor people; or, instead of fighting our enemies, let's make nice and they will put down their arms). I can see why anyone would think they are good ideas, in theory. But how much evidence does it take exactly, to show you people that if something fails miserably, it's time to admit it was a bad idea, and try something else? Liberals never, ever, ever do that. Spence, please tell me, how many failed experiments does it take, to convince a liberal that an idea just doesn't work?

Obama's not deaf, he's a racist, close-minded, vindictive azzhole who spent too much time in a faculty room.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Yes it is easy to say that. You know why? Because we have empirical evidence we can look at, to see what the impact of the Surge was. It was a spectacular success, because sometimes force works.
The Surge worked to a large degree because we initially paid the Sunnis to stop fighting. Certainly the increased US troops were a factor but there's a lot more to it to that. To assert that this was evidence of scale is foolish.