Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Republican 'campaign promises'

So I'm sure most of you are all starry-eyed over your 'saviours' and all the 'pain' you're going to bring to democrats next week, but lets hear all the wonderful campaign promises that have been made.

We all know they won't happen, but I'm curious what has made you all doe eyed and made a wet spot.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
So I'm sure most of you are all starry-eyed over your 'saviours' and all the 'pain' you're going to bring to democrats next week, but lets hear all the wonderful campaign promises that have been made.

We all know they won't happen, but I'm curious what has made you all doe eyed and made a wet spot.
Stopping this crazy uncontrolled, irrational, spending.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:

For many that come here, having a -R at the end of the name is all they need to see.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
For many that come here, having a -R at the end of the name is all they need to see

Jimmy was right...it's the "Joy Behar Brigade".....
Old 10-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
buckman

Quote:

How's your "saviour" doing?
Throw them all out, R's and D's.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Stopping this crazy uncontrolled, irrational, spending.
That won't happen.
Still got wars to fight! Git r dun!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Off the top of my head:

Stop out of control spending and the size of government, exception defense spending.

Repeal and replace the government plan to take over HC.

Reform congress and restore trust.

Restore our economy and jobs, with tax breaks thru the private enterprises.

Keep America safe here and abroad.

I would give them 2 years to start making progress and vote them out
if not.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Off the top of my head:

Stop out of control spending and the size of government, exception defense spending.

Repeal and replace the government plan to take over HC.

Reform congress and restore trust.

Restore our economy and jobs, with tax breaks thru the private enterprises.

Keep America safe here and abroad.

I would give them 2 years to start making progress and vote them out
if not.
All bland, open-ended promises with no actual method to produce.

It's as if I go into work tomorrow and declare "I'm going to make us more profitable" and end it at that without any plan to do so.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

It's as if I go into work tomorrow and declare "I'm going to make us more profitable" and end it at that without any plan to do so.

JD, likwid asked for "promises" not "plans."

One "Plan" I know they are working on is bill HR4972 introduced by Congressman
Steve King to repeal HC and is currently before 8 committees.

Will it make it through, who knows, a lot will depend on Tuesdays outcome.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
JohnnyD

Quote:
JD, likwid asked for "promises" not "plans."

One "Plan" I know they are working on is bill HR4972 introduced by Congressman
Steve King to repeal HC and is currently before 8 committees.

Will it make it through, who knows, a lot will depend on Tuesdays outcome.
Promises are made by politicians to be broken.

Unless they get a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate, they'll never succeed in repealing that piece-o-crap excuse of "health care reform."
Old 10-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Promises are made by politicians to be broken.

Unless they get a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate, they'll never succeed in repealing that piece-o-crap excuse of "health care reform."
I agree, let's hope.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:

Johnny D, you sound like someone who is so blinded by your opposition to one party, that you can't register what they are saying (I could be wrong, I don't know you).

Cut insane spending. Reduce massive federal entitlement programs that provide a disincentive to excel. Reduce taxes, putting money in our pockets, which can only have a stimulative impact on the economy. Work towards balancing the budget. Secure our borders and encourage legal immigration. Scrap Obamacare. Military tribunals, not civilian trials, for captured terrorists. Stand up to labor unions.

Am I going too fast for you? What about that don't you understand? Is that not more specific than "hope and change", which was someone else's campaign promise? Now THAT'S bland.

There is a republican congressional candidate in Michigan whose slogan is "less we can". Brilliant.

Big government, with massive entitlement programs, simply doesn't work. Look at Greece, Iceland, France, Great Britain, Ireland. Those countries are a few years further down this road then we are, and Democrats want to simply follow them into the abyss?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Cut insane spending. Reduce massive federal entitlement programs that provide a disincentive to excel. Reduce taxes, putting money in our pockets, which can only have a stimulative impact on the economy. Work towards balancing the budget. Secure our borders and encourage legal immigration. Scrap Obamacare. Military tribunals, not civilian trials, for captured terrorists. Stand up to labor unions.
Sounds like the perfect candidate....now which candidate is actually going to DO that.......not SAY they are going to do it and then Renege on it after being elected.

Like Johnny D said.....promises, especially when made by politicians(From both parties), are made to be broken......and most of them usually are broken after the election dust settles.

It is very Dis-heartening to be a voter these days......no matter what they tell you its all BS......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Agree with Just Plug It and Jim in CT.

That is what I am voting for. Whether they deliver or not, will be judged later and I will vote accordingly. I dont blindly vote for republicans.
Ask yourself this. Fill in the blank - In the last 4 years of a democratic controlled congress and 2 yrs of a Democrat president we have saved money by _________.

You cant put in one thing! Not one! I am voting to fill in that blank. Im not voting for the govt to provide jobs, or improve the economy.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Johnny D, you sound like someone who is so blinded by your opposition to one party, that you can't register what they are saying (I could be wrong, I don't know you).

Am I going too fast for you? What about that don't you understand? Is that not more specific than "hope and change", which was someone else's campaign promise? Now THAT'S bland.
You're right, you don't know me at all, especially considering almost every one of my voting decisions on Tuesday will be in line with the Conservative-minded position.

Every election is an exercise in futility; voting for the candidate that's less of a scum bag than the other one. I show up to the polls with the mindset of "Hopefully this guy won't screw things up as badly as the other guy would have." There are a handful of social and moral positions that weigh into my decision.

The point I'm trying to make is that politicians are just salesmen. They promise the world and use simple language so that people who watch them on tv can go "yeah, that sounds wonderful".

It's easy to make a vague statement like "I'm going to put more money in your pockets". A critical person would reply "with crushing debt, an out of control welfare program, two wars and a deficit over $1 trillion dollars - how the hell can he do that?" Now, if the politician can answer that question with a reasonable plan, he's got my vote. However, you turn on the TV, they promise you the world and provide no method to actually deliver it - hence my statement "All bland, open-ended promises with no actual method to produce." It goes for both sides of the aisle.

You know what I liked most about Scott Brown (aside from the fact he wasn't that heinous woman Coakley), it was that Brown campaigned with a position of "we're F*cked. I have a set of conservatively minded financial values and I will work with those across the aisle to get them done." And that is exactly what he's tried to do.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
However, you turn on the TV, they promise you the world and provide no method to actually deliver it - hence my statement "All bland, open-ended promises with no actual method to produce." It goes for both sides of the aisle.
Yup, I remember my Dad saying 60 years ago in the 40"s, "they promise you a pot in every kitchen, and a chicken in every pot."

Then in the 50's there was an add for Arpege perfume that said, "promise her anything thing, but give her Arpege."
He would say the politicians would say they would," promise you everything but give you Arpege."

And on and on right up-to 2008, "hope and change."

I think the big decision we are facing now is whether we want a large suffocating government, or a small efficient one doing what the founding fathers envisioned and designed.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
I think the big decision we are facing now is whether we want a large suffocating government, or a small efficient one doing what the founding fathers envisioned and designed.
If you really think any of the politicians on either side of the aisle could help develop a "small efficient" government, you're completely out of your gourd.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
If you really think any of the politicians on either side of the aisle could help develop a "small efficient" government, you're completely out of your gourd.
That's really up to the people, JD. If we as a people are willing to stay informed
write and call our Reps with our ideas and vote out the ones who want to
smoother us with overpowering govt, the size can be limited.

Case in point, Chris Christe, NJ Governor in office for the same length of time as Obama.

He has cut every program across the board, limited all taxes to no more then
a two pecent increase a year, cut out unnecessary programs, taken on the unions and won.
He just turned down a new tunnel under the Hudson, would have been nice, but was unaffordable.
If it can be done in Joisey, it can be done anywhere.

What would you suggest JD, throw our hands up in the air, join the "do nothing party" and let them get away with what's going on in Washington?
That's what they always count on, complacency and loss of memory.

Oh, and btw, last time I looked I was still in my gourd.

" Choose Life "