Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #61
wdmso

Another FYI

According to the BLM, there were 63,000 onshore crude oil and natural gas wells on federal lands. The production from these wells accounted for 5 percent of U.S. crude oil production

Currently, there are 100,000 “producible and service” well bores located on federal oil and gas leases. That seems like a huge number, but it pales in comparison to the nearly 1 million oil and gas wells currently producing across the U.S., 900,000 of which are on state and private lands.Mar 18, 2021

I dont think a federal pause on leases is hurting them .. But if you listen to them the sky is falling
Old 03-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #62
Pete F.
Canceled

Oil prices are now down an amazing $15 / barrel today alone. Futures prices for the fall now < $90. So I expect the increases at the pump will be rolled right back. Right? Umm ... right?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-09-2022, 03:14 PM   #63
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I did? You and Pete are sharing the same tin foil hat...

I blamed soaring prices on:

(1) increased demand after covid lightened up
(2) perception that Biden would be less oil-friendly than Trump
(3) Putin invading Ukraine (which is partly Bidens fault in my opinion)
I Took yours comments
On Pete Buttigieg claims EV transportation will bring ‘cost savings’ to Americans , as indirectly blaming the current gas issue . Incorrectly and I apologize.

unfortunately Many on the right have no issues pushing that Narrative
Old 03-09-2022, 03:32 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I Took yours comments
On Pete Buttigieg claims EV transportation will bring ‘cost savings’ to Americans , as indirectly blaming the current gas issue . Incorrectly and I apologize.

unfortunately Many on the right have no issues pushing that Narrative
No worries, I've misinterpreted many many posts!

I brought up Buttigieg NOT as causing gas price increases, but as being stupid for saying the solution is for everyone to buy electric cars.

Many people can't afford electric cars.

Many people who can afford them, aren't good candidates to buy them, for many reasons (size, range, etc)

If everyone could afford them and could live with them, there aren't enough available.

If there were enough available, there aren't enough charging stations.

If there were enough charging stations, there isn't enough electricity.

Other than that, Pete's ideas make sense.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #65
wdmso

Trump: Biden Letting 'Radical Climate Extremists' Run US

the new rallying Cry from Conservatives Green energy is to Blame for the increase in Gas prices
Old 03-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #66
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
No worries, I've misinterpreted many many posts!

I brought up Buttigieg NOT as causing gas price increases, but as being stupid for saying the solution is for everyone to buy electric cars.

Many people can't afford electric cars.

Many people who can afford them, aren't good candidates to buy them, for many reasons (size, range, etc)

If everyone could afford them and could live with them, there aren't enough available.

If there were enough available, there aren't enough charging stations.

If there were enough charging stations, there isn't enough electricity.

Other than that, Pete's ideas make sense.
The technology is just not there for it to be an economical reality. China is supporting the EV development and is likely ten years ahead of the American programs. 60 Minutes did an excellent piece on this in 2019. You can see it online if you have Paramount.
It's coming, but not a reality in today's world for the average family, in any country, excluding China because I don't know. In other words, we depend on fossil fuel for the time being. So time for Biden to pull a 180 for the good of the country.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
The technology is just not there for it to be an economical reality. China is supporting the EV development and is likely ten years ahead of the American programs. 60 Minutes did an excellent piece on this in 2019. You can see it online if you have Paramount.
It's coming, but not a reality in today's world for the average family, in any country, excluding China because I don't know. In other words, we depend on fossil fuel for the time being. So time for Biden to pull a 180 for the good of the country.
We're not even close to being ready to transition to renewables. Decades.

TIME Magazine called Michael Shellenberger a "hero of the environment", he's a hard core green guy. Here, he writes an article about why renewables aren't viable to do much right now. And that nuclear is potentially a far better option.

https://www.wind-watch.org/documents...ve-the-planet/
Old 03-10-2022, 05:07 PM   #68
wdmso

Quote:

T/[/url]

Only Conservatives think renewables are going to replace oil tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:19 PM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
Only Conservatives think renewables are going to replace oil tomorrow.
they do? which conservatives think that?

You haven't seen ANY prominent liberals in the last 2 weeks, say that the answer to this crisis is renewed attention to renewables? Pete Buttigieg didn't essentially say that switching to electric cars was the way to avoid pain at the pump?
Old 03-10-2022, 05:47 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

TIME Magazine called Michael Shellenberger a "hero of the environment", he's a hard core green guy. Here, he writes an article about why renewables aren't viable to do much right now. And that nuclear is potentially a far better option.

https://www.wind-watch.org/documents...ve-the-planet/
Well, he’s right

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #71
wdmso

Quote:
they do? which conservatives think that?

You haven't seen ANY prominent liberals in the last 2 weeks, say that the answer to this crisis is renewed attention to renewables? Pete Buttigieg didn't essentially say that switching to electric cars was the way to avoid pain at the pump?
All of them.

Yes Jim the answer to the current issue is renewable energy! To prevent future issues of being dependent oil aka true energy independent not conservatives twisted definition of it

Again only the right is suggesting green energy is the answer to the current crisis are Republicans and you carry their water

Well, then. The Biden/Harris/Buttigieg/Psaki solution to high gas prices right now, today, is for all you urban, suburban, and rural Americans to go out and buy an EV.

Biden's renewable energy rush is making gas prices skyrocket Dec 2021

I haven’t seen any one suggesting electric cars are the quick fix

But it’s the same drum beat from the right drill baby drill. And that’s never worked .

Ps Oil prices are set on the global market and I doubt pausing oil leases on federal lands did anything to influence world markets

But conservatives seem to skip. That part and present oil prices are Controlled by the POTUS
Old 03-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
All of them.

Yes Jim the answer to the current issue is renewable energy! To prevent future issues of being dependent oil aka true energy independent not conservatives twisted definition of it

Again only the right is suggesting green energy is the answer to the current crisis are Republicans and you carry their water

Well, then. The Biden/Harris/Buttigieg/Psaki solution to high gas prices right now, today, is for all you urban, suburban, and rural Americans to go out and buy an EV.

Biden's renewable energy rush is making gas prices skyrocket Dec 2021

I haven’t seen any one suggesting electric cars are the quick fix

But it’s the same drum beat from the right drill baby drill. And that’s never worked .

Ps Oil prices are set on the global market and I doubt pausing oil leases on federal lands did anything to influence world markets

But conservatives seem to skip. That part and present oil prices are Controlled by the POTUS
You're saying that all conservatives think that " renewables are going to replace oil tomorrow."

Wayne, if ANYBODY with a clue thought that, oil would be plummeting in price, not skyrocketing.

"Yes Jim the answer to the current issue is renewable energy"

I agree. But that "answer" is literally decades away.

"only the right is suggesting green energy is the answer to the current crisis are Republicans and you carry their water "

gibberish.

Wayne, the right knows we need to pursue green energy, but unlike you, we accept the reality that it's decades away from being practical or feasible.

"Well, then. The Biden/Harris/Buttigieg/Psaki solution to high gas prices right now, today, is for all you urban, suburban, and rural Americans to go out and buy an EV."

Did you see or read what Buttigieg said? Just because it was stupid, doesn't mean he didn't say it. He said it. It was an unbelievably stupid, elitist, tone-deaf thing to say.

Your side is getting pummeled at every turn. Every turn.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:18 AM   #73
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You're saying that all conservatives think that " renewables are going to replace oil tomorrow."

Wayne, if ANYBODY with a clue thought that, oil would be plummeting in price, not skyrocketing.

"Yes Jim the answer to the current issue is renewable energy"

I agree. But that "answer" is literally decades away.

"only the right is suggesting green energy is the answer to the current crisis are Republicans and you carry their water "

gibberish.

Wayne, the right knows we need to pursue green energy, but unlike you, we accept the reality that it's decades away from being practical or feasible.

"Well, then. The Biden/Harris/Buttigieg/Psaki solution to high gas prices right now, today, is for all you urban, suburban, and rural Americans to go out and buy an EV."

Did you see or read what Buttigieg said? Just because it was stupid, doesn't mean he didn't say it. He said it. It was an unbelievably stupid, elitist, tone-deaf thing to say.

Your side is getting pummeled at every turn. Every turn.
How's that wall working? It wasn't magic, was it?
It seems that you think if there is a problem, everything should stop and we can only work on one resolution.
But as you have repeatedly said, more than one thing can be true at the same time.
We can work towards being less reliant on fossil fuels AND do what we can to reduce current pricing.
We cannot instantly drill wells, move crude to refineries and refine it.
Perhaps you would like this administration to impose price controls?

Unfortunately the shutdown of the oil industry due to lack of demand due to covid created a lag in supply, those lags always take time to resolve themselves.

https://www.cred.org/seven-steps-of-...as-extraction/

If we had done more to reduce fossil fuel reliance over the past 40 years, we and the rest of the developed world would currently have far less of an issue with Russia, the Saudis and other oil enabled dictators.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
How's that wall working? It wasn't magic, was it?
It seems that you think if there is a problem, everything should stop and we can only work on one resolution.
But as you have repeatedly said, more than one thing can be true at the same time.
We can work towards being less reliant on fossil fuels AND do what we can to reduce current pricing.
We cannot instantly drill wells, move crude to refineries and refine it.
Perhaps you would like this administration to impose price controls?

Unfortunately the shutdown of the oil industry due to lack of demand due to covid created a lag in supply, those lags always take time to resolve themselves.

https://www.cred.org/seven-steps-of-...as-extraction/

If we had done more to reduce fossil fuel reliance over the past 40 years, we and the rest of the developed world would currently have far less of an issue with Russia, the Saudis and other oil enabled dictators.
"It seems that you think if there is a problem, everything should stop and we can only work on one resolution."

Never came close to saying that, can't imagine how you could possibly conclude that.

Pursue green energy, invest in it. At the same time, look at nuclear plants to provide electricity, and figure out how to safely get every drop of oil out from American soil.

Not rocket science.

"We can work towards being less reliant on fossil fuels AND do what we can to reduce current pricing"

Which is obviously, exactly what I have been saying.

There's all the incentive in the world to achieve more reliance on renewables. People who succeed in that space, will be the richest people who ever lived. No further incentive needed. It's not that we aren't pursuing it. It's just not simple.

."Unfortunately the shutdown of the oil industry due to lack of demand due to covid created a lag in supply, those lags always take time to resolve themselves."

I'm not sure that's true. Opec doesn't have a lot of trouble increasing supply.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #75
Jim in CT

Kamala Harris said today that current gas prices "are the price we pay for democracy,"

That'll go over well.

SHE is unbelievable, god's gift to the GOP.

We never had a democracy until gas prices were this high?
Old 03-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #76
Pete F.
Canceled

There are two important things to remember about how oil and gas production work: The government doesn’t place any production limits on oil and gas companies, and there’s no such thing as an immediate production increase. Oil and gas companies decide, all by themselves, whether or not to increase production, and new drilling now generally translates to oil and gas on the market in six to 12 months. A new fracking well takes six to eight months to produce oil, for example. Are there idle wells that could be productive again in less time? Sure. Are there some that were shut down during the pandemic that can be brought back online? Yep. But then we get to the real reasons oil companies aren’t drilling: It’s not government intervention, it’s a combination of money, labor, and materials (shocking, I know).

The big fracking companies — Devon, Pioneer, and Continental — burned by multiple boom and bust cycles over the years, pledged in February not to increase production until 2023. “Whether it’s $150 oil, $200 oil, or $100 oil, we’re not going to change our growth plans,” Pioneer CEO Scott Sheffield said during a Bloomberg Television interview. “If the president wants us to grow, I just don’t think the industry can grow anyway.”

In ExxonMobil’s February earnings call, Woods said the company’s focus remains on price per barrel over volume. “One of the primary objectives we’ve had in looking at the portfolio is less about volume and volume targets and more about the quality and profitability of the barrels that we’re producing.” he said. “That’s been the focus. And as we move forward, we’ll continue — you’ll continue to see the quality of the barrels or profitability of the barrels increase.”

But it’s Biden’s fault
Old 03-11-2022, 02:46 PM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
There are two important things to remember about how oil and gas production work: The government doesn’t place any production limits on oil and gas companies, and there’s no such thing as an immediate production increase. Oil and gas companies decide, all by themselves, whether or not to increase production, and new drilling now generally translates to oil and gas on the market in six to 12 months. A new fracking well takes six to eight months to produce oil, for example. Are there idle wells that could be productive again in less time? Sure. Are there some that were shut down during the pandemic that can be brought back online? Yep. But then we get to the real reasons oil companies aren’t drilling: It’s not government intervention, it’s a combination of money, labor, and materials (shocking, I know).

The big fracking companies — Devon, Pioneer, and Continental — burned by multiple boom and bust cycles over the years, pledged in February not to increase production until 2023. “Whether it’s $150 oil, $200 oil, or $100 oil, we’re not going to change our growth plans,” Pioneer CEO Scott Sheffield said during a Bloomberg Television interview. “If the president wants us to grow, I just don’t think the industry can grow anyway.”

In ExxonMobil’s February earnings call, Woods said the company’s focus remains on price per barrel over volume. “One of the primary objectives we’ve had in looking at the portfolio is less about volume and volume targets and more about the quality and profitability of the barrels that we’re producing.” he said. “That’s been the focus. And as we move forward, we’ll continue — you’ll continue to see the quality of the barrels or profitability of the barrels increase.”

But it’s Biden’s fault
"The government doesn’t place any production limits on oil and gas companies"

The hell is doesn't. On federal lands and offshore, you have to get a permit. Biden put in place a moratorium on all new permits for federal lands, which necessarily means that production on those lands will be precisely zero.

Much of the pricing is supply speculation. When Biden killed the Keystone pipeline and refused to grant any new leases, you didn't need to be Stephen Hawking to conclude that he was not going to be a pro-fossil-fuel guy.

"there’s no such thing as an immediate production increase"

True.

"Oil and gas companies decide, all by themselves, whether or not to increase production"

Again, if they are denied permits on federal land, they can't decide to generate oil on that land.

"But it’s Biden’s fault"

Partly his fault, partly not his fault.

Pete, you blamed Trump for covid deaths on his watch, which he had nothing to do with. SO it's OK if yuo blame a sitting president for everything that happens on his watch, even things he doesn't directly control?

Much of the skyrocketing price has nothing to do with Biden. But it happened on his watch.

The entire left blamed Bush for the subprime mortgage crisis, that helped Obama beat McCain. Bush didn't do anything to contribute to that crisis, but you all blamed him for it. That's how it goes. Similarly, Biden will be blamed for inflation and oil prices.

The left had zero reservations about blaming Bush and Trump for things they didn't cause. What's good for the goose...

It's one crisis after another, one failure after another.

When the fed raises interest rates (which they waited way too long to do), that could cause a recession.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #78
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"The government doesn’t place any production limits on oil and gas companies"

The hell is doesn't. On federal lands and offshore, you have to get a permit. Biden put in place a moratorium on all new permits for federal lands, which necessarily means that production on those lands will be precisely zero.

Much of the pricing is supply speculation. When Biden killed the Keystone pipeline and refused to grant any new leases, you didn't need to be Stephen Hawking to conclude that he was not going to be a pro-fossil-fuel guy.

"there’s no such thing as an immediate production increase"

True.

"Oil and gas companies decide, all by themselves, whether or not to increase production"

Again, if they are denied permits on federal land, they can't decide to generate oil on that land.

"But it’s Biden’s fault"

Partly his fault, partly not his fault.

Pete, you blamed Trump for covid deaths on his watch, which he had nothing to do with. SO it's OK if yuo blame a sitting president for everything that happens on his watch, even things he doesn't directly control?

Much of the skyrocketing price has nothing to do with Biden. But it happened on his watch.

The entire left blamed Bush for the subprime mortgage crisis, that helped Obama beat McCain. Bush didn't do anything to contribute to that crisis, but you all blamed him for it. That's how it goes. Similarly, Biden will be blamed for inflation and oil prices.

The left had zero reservations about blaming Bush and Trump for things they didn't cause. What's good for the goose...

It's one crisis after another, one failure after another.

When the fed raises interest rates (which they waited way too long to do), that could cause a recession.
Now you think that Biden runs the FED?

So you are claiming Biden controls Devon, Pioneer, Continental and Exxon? Or just that he should? Or are you just playing victim as you were taught by the Orange Man you don't really like, but will consistently defend.

What the producers are saying is that they don't care what the price is as long as it is high, and they will control it by not increasing production.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-11-2022, 07:37 PM   #79
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Not reading any of the above. (Piss and moan, same players, same arguments and personal attacks)

But going to share this to further explain the sticker shock at the supermarket, gas pump, lumberyard, any retail environment that needs truckers to get what they need. This is what it costs to fill up that 18 wheeler....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6130.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	68778  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:42 PM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
Now you think that Biden runs the FED?

So you are claiming Biden controls Devon, Pioneer, Continental and Exxon? Or just that he should? Or are you just playing victim as you were taught by the Orange Man you don't really like, but will consistently defend.

What the producers are saying is that they don't care what the price is as long as it is high, and they will control it by not increasing production.

no, i know biden doesn’t control
the fed. it they have to start raising interest rates soon, which will
slow the economy, only question is by how much. Not Bidens fault, but one more crisis on his watch.

Biden is saying Putin caused the inflation. That’s a. lie, we had massive inflation before we started paying attention to ukraine. america isn’t falling for that.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:36 PM   #81
Pete F.
Canceled

If you want to get gas for under $3 you might consider Taco Bell.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #82
wdmso

Biden is saying Putin caused the inflation.

Jim only Republicans are pushing this lie and they are the only ones unable to honestly to admit Putins aggression have contributed to inflation in the price of oil

Republicans did the same thing with the masks and the vaccine

They made suggestions that democrats said masks and the vaccine prevented Covid . Which also never happened

But for Republicans to suggest the oil markets increases are not Putins responsibility is just more dishonesty

Oil prices have steadily risen for more than two months as the threat of Russian military action became apparent, driving up oil prices more than 40 percent from their early-December lows

Consider that since the Russian invasion, the average price of regular gas in the United States had increased 17 percent through Wednesday. It was up 23 percent For the year

So Biden’s responsible for a 6% increase is gas ! and Putin is responsible For 17% increase.

Again only if you honest which the GOP is not . they know their voters to well. truth and facts don’t work with them.

Last edited by wdmso; 03-12-2022 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-12-2022, 07:35 AM   #83
scottw

Quote:

Biden is saying Putin caused the inflation.

Joe Biden on Twitter:
Jun 4, 2020 — "It's hard to believe this has to be said, but unlike this president, I'll do my job and take responsibility. I won't blame others."

there was inflation pre-Putin aggression...democraps dismissed it as transitory...it's just their latest excuse
Old 03-12-2022, 07:35 AM   #84
wdmso

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/u...biden-gas.html

Republicans Wrongly Blame Biden for Rising Gas Prices
They have pointed to the Biden administration’s policies on the Keystone XL pipeline and certain oil and gas leases, which have had little impact on prices.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:38 AM   #85
scottw

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/u...biden-gas.html

Republicans Wrongly Blame Biden for Rising Gas Prices
They have pointed to the Biden administration’s policies on the Keystone XL pipeline and certain oil and gas leases, which have had little impact on prices.
oh good...the NY Times...didn't see that coming
Old 03-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #86
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Joe Biden on Twitter:
Jun 4, 2020 — "It's hard to believe this has to be said, but unlike this president, I'll do my job and take responsibility. I won't blame others."
Top bad you can’t accept facts

Are you suggesting Putin’s invasion hasn’t cause oil to sky rocket

And of course placing blame on putin for the current spike in gas prices is blaming others.

What’s next it’s Ukraines fault putin invaded?
Old 03-12-2022, 07:43 AM   #87
wdmso

Quote:
oh good...the NY Times...didn't see that coming
Classic response ! when the facts presented don’t align with your imagination and your alternative Facts
Old 03-12-2022, 07:47 AM   #88
wdmso

Quote:
Joe Biden on Twitter:

there was inflation pre-Putin aggression...democraps dismissed it as transitory...it's just their latest excuse
And Covid was going to disappear

But that never happened and didn’t seem to upset you..

But bring wrong on transitory inflation .is Upsetting for you .
Old 03-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #89
wdmso

Petrol prices UK: Fuel hits ‘unbelievable’ record high, as RAC says full tank now costs almost £88

That's 114.74 USD and for a 12 gal tank

Northern Ireland fuel and heating oil prices soar – weekly increases revealed
Weekly increase of 500L home heating oil £227
Diesel price in Armagh increases by 22p per litre in seven days
Petrol up in Derry by 13p per litre in a week

Petrol Prices Have Hit A Record-Breaking $3 Per Litre In Australia And Like, What Is Happening To The World
"It'll cost me $98 for a full tank, [compared to] peak-COVID, when a full tank was just $40."

But Republicans what to suggest to Americans its only happening in The USA and its Biden's Fault
Old 03-12-2022, 01:13 PM   #90
Jim in CT

Quote:
Petrol prices UK: Fuel hits ‘unbelievable’ record high, as RAC says full tank now costs almost £88

That's 114.74 USD and for a 12 gal tank

Northern Ireland fuel and heating oil prices soar – weekly increases revealed
Weekly increase of 500L home heating oil £227
Diesel price in Armagh increases by 22p per litre in seven days
Petrol up in Derry by 13p per litre in a week

Petrol Prices Have Hit A Record-Breaking $3 Per Litre In Australia And Like, What Is Happening To The World
"It'll cost me $98 for a full tank, [compared to] peak-COVID, when a full tank was just $40."

But Republicans what to suggest to Americans its only happening in The USA and its Biden's Fault
can you point to a single
republican, who said it’s only happening in america?