Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

First keeper

I’ve been having fun getting back into the surf and catching schoolies in the rocks by the summer cottage on white horse beach. Tons of rocks and I’ve been broken off a few times, in fact today at 3:45 on a whim the wife and I go to the beach and I brought a rod. Bathing suit only and kayak shoes don’t I hook up after a few and a decent fish cuts my braid off quickly. I retie and wade back out and ten minutes later a 30” fish hammers my 6” jerkbait and I managed to work her thru the boulders and since my son and family love striper and I haven’t keep one in probably six years I walked home to filet her. On a hot beach day lots of spectators wanting a look and I left plenty of fish the same size that followed her in. Thankfully the water is warm enough for just some swim shorts, I plan to break out the waders and try a night trip on a good tide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E0DAF278-0CF2-4F87-BF6C-B7946EE20C4E.jpeg (611.1 KB, 38 views)
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Great report, Bob!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
Guppy
User

Sounds like up there is the sweet spot… nice !
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #4
Raven

Thumbs up alright !

good goin man
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I’ve been having fun getting back into the surf and catching schoolies in the rocks by the summer cottage on white horse beach. Tons of rocks and I’ve been broken off a few times, in fact today at 3:45 on a whim the wife and I go to the beach and I brought a rod. Bathing suit only and kayak shoes don’t I hook up after a few and a decent fish cuts my braid off quickly. I retie and wade back out and ten minutes later a 30” fish hammers my 6” jerkbait and I managed to work her thru the boulders and since my son and family love striper and I haven’t keep one in probably six years I walked home to filet her. On a hot beach day lots of spectators wanting a look and I left plenty of fish the same size that followed her in. Thankfully the water is warm enough for just some swim shorts, I plan to break out the waders and try a night trip on a good tide.
Throw the yak in with some eels paddle left once it gets dark and hang on.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:20 AM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

I know the spot. I thought we talked it about before . Farther to the left in a yak with eels after dark . Hold on if their in and I wouldn’t use anything less than 50lb long leader and 8/0 circle but the results speak for
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 85F74994-5CFB-4237-AC1E-AD2FDE7D89EC.jpeg (568.3 KB, 28 views)
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I know the spot. I thought we talked it about before . Farther to the left in a yak with eels after dark . Hold on if their in and I wouldn’t use anything less than 50lb long leader and 8/0 circle but the results speak for
Oh I know how far that boulder field goes, launching my heavy PA14 on a trailer isn’t easy. The ramp is terrible and unless you want to drive on the beach, which I won’t do, it’s beach wheels and lug it down and back from the cottage. Maybe so night, but catching from the surf is fun too.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:55 PM   #8
hq2

Well, it tells you something about how the fishing is going these days when somebody actually makes a special post about getting a keeper. I mean, 10 or so years ago, no one would even bother to make any statement about it. I personally haven't caught one in years; just a number of 24 and 25 inch tease fish, and plenty of dink schoolies. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky this weekend when I make my ONLY trip of the year specifically for stripers at the ONLY place left where I can catch them reliably. (I mean my 'yak buddy caught a nice keeper there last year, so maybe it's my turn to be lucky this year). You never know.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:17 AM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
Well, it tells you something about how the fishing is going these days when somebody actually makes a special post about getting a keeper. I mean, 10 or so years ago, no one would even bother to make any statement about it. I personally haven't caught one in years; just a number of 24 and 25 inch tease fish, and plenty of dink schoolies. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky this weekend when I make my ONLY trip of the year specifically for stripers at the ONLY place left where I can catch them reliably. (I mean my 'yak buddy caught a nice keeper there last year, so maybe it's my turn to be lucky this year). You never know.
You are right. 10 years ago we wouldn't keep anything under 36". Now all I see and hear about is 30" fish. hell, back in the day those were schoolies.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:50 AM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I’m no barometer for the health of the striper stocks, because I stopped targeting them on purpose years back. It’s been finding good eaters to vacuum seal for winter dinners and this time of year I would typically be hitting gooseberry or Saconet points for sea bass, fluke and tog. Over three hours round trip of driving and the cost of that gas to fill up the truck has put that effort on hold.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #11
Raven

up here in maine there is no striped-bass hatcheries or stocking ever. Even walleye are taboo it's trout trout and more trout. They are upscaling the hatcheries by 20 million dollars this year but no species will be added. You take a lake like Sebego that has gnarley white caps and it would be a perfect striper fishery that could feed the whole dammed state if they'd wake the hell up.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:56 PM   #12
Clammer

I guess like always ..it depends on whose an where ya fishing

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote