Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Carbide lathe tools

Carbide Mini Turning Tool 3-Piece Set | Rockler Woodworking Tools

These look good to me, as I hate sharpening. The carbide cutter I bought from Paul for my vega is a clear step up from HSS.

So Paul.... if I made my own handles, could you provide the holders and cutters? Just wondering if that makes sense for you, ie your time, and cost. I'd buy them from you in a heartbeat. Maybe a new line for your cottage industry?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Russ, at least two of those inserts look like standard metal working inserts... Not sur eif they will work or not becuase th eedge on a metalworkign insert is not usuall y arzor sharp like we like to have our turning tools. Maybe check MSC for standard inserts? Paul your input?

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Saltheart

I have three turning tools that I bought on Amazon with Carbide inserts. The round is great cause the slightest rotation gives you a new sharp edge. I still need to mount the 6 inch tool holders into their wooden handles for the square scraper and the diamond point. I'm also anxious to get my vega insert from Paul.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

OK. Yes they look like pretty much standard inserts. They do make many sharp edge inserts for alum. and plastics and even titanium. The duller edge chip breaker inserts are for harder materials mostly. Thanks Ross for trying to get me more stuff to do but I got too much on plate so I think I will pass at this time, but I can look into the inserts as I told Saltheart and probably save you some money on those if you do decide to buy the holders and wear out the inserts.. There are lots of people, companies, making those holders. I think Lou even made a couple a few years ago. Those are really expensive though, I will say that Ross. Got to be some cheaper Chinese ones out there I'd think.

Mike I will be sending that holder out early this week. Thanks. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Yeah. They are expensive.... I would be willing to drop a lot of money at Rockler if they weren't charging such outrageous prices.

You know I HATE to buy Chinese, Paul......

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I know Ross I hate the quality of workmanship that country produces more often than not but as long as you get a good insert in there I can believe the rest of the tool is that difficult to make decently at a cheaper price than they are charging.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Saltheart

You got to wait for and look for sales. I have done well getting 1/3 to almost 1/2 off by waiting until stuff goes on sale. All the stuff is outragious at full price. I like Woodcraft and PSI as well as Rockler but unless the stuff is on sale I try to wait.

I agree with Paul that as long as the carbide insert is high quality , you can get away with a lesser handle, etc. I got my turning tools from Harrison Specialties. Supposedly made in the USA. He sells on Amazon and Ebay. You still need to shop though cause sometimes he'll have shipping included on Ebay but not on Amazon or the opposite. On a $45 tool you can save $10 just by looking around for the exact same item at different times and on different site. I got the 3 piece full size set from Harrison Specialties for about 1/3 the cost of buying the comparable full size "Easy" brand turning tools.

Letr me know when the Vega things ship Paul so I can keep an eye out for them. Thanks

Saltheart
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yours and Hookset's are going out tomorrow as long as the wife is not lying to me as she is one going to post office.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Saltheart

OK , Thanks.

Saltheart