Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #151
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I wish I never started, and half the time I see one now I want it

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #152
cheferson

CIg tax went up another $1 in RI, now the highest in the country, more motivation for you guys to stay off em or to kick em !
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #153
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, Live in CT., but my heart is in SoCo!
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy z
Have a good smoke free day, everyone!

Be encouraging, not discouraging

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
jimmy z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #154
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

40 days now. easy peezy

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #155
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Congratulations!
Have a very good smoke free one, everybody.

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #156
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Have a Happy smoke free Valentines Day. Your honey will be grateful when ya give her a smooch without that smoker breath.

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #157
JohnR

Still on the wagon ... (put on the 10 pounds lost last year)

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #158
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

yeah same here still at it. a month and a half down. less and less bothersome every day. They say it's worse then kickin a heroin habbit. I am proud of myself. I feel like i'm over the hump. just need to remain vigilant. I'm still on the wellbutrin at one pill a day.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #159
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

ohh and i'm buying wriglys gum bye the 10 pack at stop n shop for 2.50 or so. I allways have a ton of that stuff in my pockets. It don't hurt your teeth if your chewin it all day. There's a zillion gum wrappers where there once were cigarette butts. I think thats kool..
And I can smell a smoker a mile away I think man did I smell like that

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #160
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Still on the wagon ... (put on the 10 pounds lost last year)
It's better to GAIN weight.Than be DEAD weight.Keep up the fight. you are winning.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 AM   #161
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Have a very good smoke free one!

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #162
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

No puffs today, fella's! Keep strong!

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #163
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Enjoy the smoke free air today everyone.

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #164
saltwaterhabits

Day # 11 today. On the Wellbutrin .
Just found this thread.. Mike
saltwaterhabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #165
JohnR

Mike - welcome to the wagon - its a good thing you are doing. I'm on almost three months now and we have a few people doing it here...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #166
saltwaterhabits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Mike - welcome to the wagon - its a good thing you are doing. I'm on almost three months now and we have a few people doing it here...
Hi John, Thanks ...And good luck to you.
We met at the Hab's Mem party in Middletown..We were both standing outside the door, puffing away.
It's been less than 2 weeks and reasonably good circulation has already returned to my previously frigid, anorexic hands.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #167
FishermanTim

Keep up the good work, and remember that as tough as it is to quit, the payoff in the end will definitely be worth it.

I quit back in '79-'80, but at the time my habit was only a pack a week, so stopping wasn't as difficult, but the addictive nature is strong.

When I was "finally" over it, I felt great. Mind you, at only a pack a week, I had already noticed a drop in my stamina and endurance and was getting winded doing physical activities that I had loved for years.
That was my "wake up call". I hated not being able to do what I loved due to the effect of smoking. (All this in my late teens!)

The best advice I could give would be to keep at it. You may have a "relapse" but hey, you didn't start smoking 2+ packs right from the start, so quitting is never as quick or as easy as it is described.

Good Luck and Good Health to all!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #168
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Hi Mike, It's good to have you with us on the wagon. Just think ya ain't in it alone.
You'll be casting that 6500 chrome with added vim and vigor.

I'll be out by the SWE this weekend, BTW.

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 AM   #169
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

One more smoke free day, under our belts. Give youeself a hand!

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #170
saltwaterhabits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
Hi Mike, It's good to have you with us on the wagon. Just think ya ain't in it alone.
You'll be casting that 6500 chrome with added vim and vigor.

I'll be out by the SWE this weekend, BTW.
Thanks Jimmy.See you Saturday.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #171
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Ummmm...so Mike, how's the Welbutrin working?

I've been giving it some thought lately - I'd really like to grow old enough to be even grumpier than I already am...

Out side of the health risks, the sheer price alone is enough to give ya pause any more - pretty soon it's gonna be cheaper to just smoke the money...

I'm doing an honest deuce a day and yeah, I know how bad it is - and the fact that they juice cigarettes with additional nicotine makes it even worse.

I'm smoking Diet Merits but the time is at hand to deep-six 'em altogether, I'm thinking -

Guess I oughta start at Page 1 of the thread and work on my resolve first -

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #172
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Well, **** it.

Read the whole thing from P. 1 so it looks like I won't be the Lone Ranger anyway -

I turned 60 a little over a month ago and never really thought I'd see it honestly - my dad died at 59 from the form of lung cancer most often attributed to cigarette smoking.

From the day he was diagnosed to the day he died was exactly 10 weeks. It still makes me well up - gotta tell ya that I still miss him every day.

So at 60 I figure that I've been a smoker since I was 15 or so - that makes 45 years.

Let's see how I do - I'm gonna try to wean myself off, I was actually in a research group when the patches 1st came out and it killed maybe 75% of the desire -

If I start today, I'll make my goal 1 cig an hour - that'll cut me by 60% just as a start and I'll work my way down from there.

My wife wants to quit too - she's done it cold turkey - - once but fell off - that way if we both do it will mean support at home and support at S-B too -

Okay...here goes...

Hi, my name is Crafty -

I have a problem...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #173
JohnR

It's hard Chuck but it is so bleeping worth it.

My dad died when he was 63 and had a triple bypass when he was fifty something. If I am going to pass the average life expectancy of the men of my family I had to:

A) Not be an alcoholic - successful - I have less beers in a whole year now than I did every few days in my youth

B) Quit smoking - in progress.

C) Lose weight - that is next

I need to do these three so I'm around for a long time for me, and more importantly, my kid & family...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #174
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Just checking in...

45 Days without a smoke....woo hoo...
I am down to 5 pcs of nicorette gum per day and am a bit ahead of the schedule the gum program laid out for me. Just like Freak I am chewing other sugar free gum as well and have gum wrappers in my pockets and laundry and where the butts used to be. The car is even starting to smell good when I get in!

I tried dieting and am struggling with that...doing ok but still getting late night urges to snack. I made a decision a week ago and went out a joined a local gym where some friends work out. I started and although it has been hard to make the time, I am doign it.

I do have to respectfully disagree with Tagger. Quitting smoking will be the second most important thing I have done for myself. With a little luck on March 11 I will celebrate 14 years "clean". My longer friends on this board know I had a very bad life involving nothing but multiple trips to detox, court rooms and all the classic signs of substance abuse as a young adult. I still regularly attend NA meetings and do a lot of volunteer work in that area of my life.

Good luck to all and I look forward to the day I can peddle the canal and not run out of breath!!!!!!

Last edited by BasicPatrick; 02-19-2009 at 12:58 PM..

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #175
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
Well, **** it.

Read the whole thing from P. 1 so it looks like I won't be the Lone Ranger anyway -

I turned 60 a little over a month ago and never really thought I'd see it honestly - my dad died at 59 from the form of lung cancer most often attributed to cigarette smoking.

From the day he was diagnosed to the day he died was exactly 10 weeks. It still makes me well up - gotta tell ya that I still miss him every day.

So at 60 I figure that I've been a smoker since I was 15 or so - that makes 45 years.

Let's see how I do - I'm gonna try to wean myself off, I was actually in a research group when the patches 1st came out and it killed maybe 75% of the desire -

If I start today, I'll make my goal 1 cig an hour - that'll cut me by 60% just as a start and I'll work my way down from there.

My wife wants to quit too - she's done it cold turkey - - once but fell off - that way if we both do it will mean support at home and support at S-B too -

Okay...here goes...

Hi, my name is Crafty -

I have a problem...
You're in the right place. It's one helping the other. Because we can't do it alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Just checking in...

45 Days without a smoke....woo hoo...
I am down to 5 pcs of nicorette gum per day and am a bit ahead of the schedule the gum program laid out for me. Just like Freak I am chewing other sugar free gum as well and have gum wrappers in my pockets and laundry and where the butts used to be. The car is even starting to smell good when I get in!

I tried dieting and am struggling with that...doing ok but still getting late night urges to snack. I made a decision a week ago and went out a joined a local gym where some friends work out. I started and although it has been hard to make the time, I am doign it.

I do have to respectfully disagree with Tagger. Quitting smoking will be the second most important thing I have done for myself. With a little luck on March 11 I will celebrate 14 years "clean". My longer friends on this board know I had a very bad life involving nothing but multiple trips to detox, court rooms and all the classic signs of substance abuse as a young adult. I still regularly attend NA meetings and do a lot of volunteer work in that area of my life.

Good luck to all and I look forward to the day I can peddle the canal and not run out of breath!!!!!!
Hi Patrick
Congratulations on your 14 yrs. I have 12 myself, sober.
And this cigarette thing is an addiction, and as you know, when one addiction is removed, something has to fill in that void, otherwise it will come back. I think that's where some fail. Something positive has to go in it's place.
The difficult part is quenching the desire. That snack thing or junk food thing is just a substitution, and over time, can get out of hand as well. The snack thing is not a positive substitution, one can say it is fundamentally evil, because it puts someone in a sad or unhappy state from putting on weight.
Wisdom is the key, and filling the body and mind with everything that is good. Good food, good snacks such as fruits, and exercising.
Dwelling on the accomplishments that have been attained helps me keep a positive attitude.
Easy does it, everyone.

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #176
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Good deal guys.
Crafty you take the wellbutrin for a week ,one pill a day. then you just quit. cold turkey if you will, and then up it to two pills a day. It really takes the edge off even with other things you tend to get stressed over it helps. you'll just glide thru them nice and calmly. well for me at least.
The desire is still there. I'm at the point where I say "wow - I don't think I've thought about a cigarette all day"

Old 02-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #177
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Have a very good smoke free day, everyone.

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #178
saltwaterhabits

Hey Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Good deal guys.
Crafty you take the wellbutrin for a week ,one pill a day. then you just quit. cold turkey if you will, and then up it to two pills a day. It really takes the edge off even with other things you tend to get stressed over it helps. you'll just glide thru them nice and calmly. well for me at least.
The desire is still there. I'm at the point where I say "wow - I don't think I've thought about a cigarette all day"
.Ditto here. I'm doing the Wellbutrin routine, 1/day -2/day.
I've now got 13 smoke-free days under my belt...And the stamina is returning........ for us to go out & fight the Togs this Spring as previously planned...Mike
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #179
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Day 50 today how insane is that. Never thought it would happen. I think I'll buy myself a nice present at 60 days like a new reel

Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #180
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterhabits View Post
Day # 11 today. On the Wellbutrin .
Just found this thread.. Mike
Hey Mike .. Good to see you here .. Keep your guard up .. your doing good ..

You'll keep getting better and better ... believe ...
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote