Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #121
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I

No one is using the deaths of kids to engage in political demagoguery.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
CT senator Chris Murphy does exactly that every time. Long before we know the details, he’s running his stupid mouth, claiming that the attack is more evidence that he’s right in the issue . he does it every single time, and always before he knows any details.

Beto Oroarke was t demogouging when he interrupted a press conference?
Old 05-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #122
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
It's interesting, take out the cities here and europe and compare and that stats are pretty much the same rate.

But according to Pete, Republicans are the problem.
The indisputable fact is that where there are more guns, there are more gun deaths.

Availability is a huge issue

Based on the number of gun deaths per capita in 2019 alone, states with the most gun violence are:

Alaska - 24.4
Mississippi - 24.2
Wyoming - 22.3
New Mexico 22.3
Alabama - 22.2
Louisiana - 22.1
Missouri - 20.6
South Carolina - 19.9
Arkansas - 19.3
Montana - 19.3
Old 05-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #123
wdmso

Former President Donald Trump has called on US lawmakers to prioritise funding for school security over sending military aid to Ukraine.

Old 05-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #124
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
so it’s a party line, and not objective fact, to say strict gun laws havent done much to reduce violence in DC and Chicago?

Change is not impossible. But it will
take more than new gun control
laws.
How many of the guns used in the commission of crimes were purchased in those places?

So yes, it’s a party line and an objective falsehood that strict gun laws have had no effect.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #125
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Pete, has anyone said the 2A is unlimited or unfettered? Who are you responding to?

Are gun control laws working in Chicago, DC?

Instead of going off on unrelated tangents, why not discuss something right at the heart of this?
Burgers opinion is certainly germane to a discussion about gun control.
It’s illustrative to the fact that the NRA and the arms industry have controlled the discussion for years to the detriment of Americans

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #126
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
CT senator Chris Murphy does exactly that every time. Long before we know the details, he’s running his stupid mouth, claiming that the attack is more evidence that he’s right in the issue . he does it every single time, and always before he knows any details.

As usual, anyone who maintains a consistent gun control position is wrong and if they don’t they’re flip flopping.
Did you know that after the Columbine school shooting over 10,000 cops were hired to "prevent school shootings"? 43% of schools in the USA have law enforcement officers & none of them have prevented a single school shooting. Instead, they just arrest kids for absurd violations.
Millions have been made selling guns to people who are convinced by the arms lobby rhetoric that buying one makes them safer.
The data unequivocally says that’s false.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #127
wdmso

Quote:

So telling the Truth is demogouging

Only to those who accept the lies
Old 05-30-2022, 04:22 PM   #128
Jim in CT

Quote:
So telling the Truth is demogouging

Only to those who accept the lies
you didn’t read what i wrote. he concludes it’s due to lack of gun control, long before he knows the details.

how do you address availability? i agree with you availability is a huge problem. I agree with you 100%.

I’m assuming you’d address availability with strict, prospective, gun laws

That doesn’t address the guns that are out there. And it’s precisely why our cities are still war zones, despite having strict gun laws

Do you know what einstein’s definition of “insanity” was, wayne? doing the same thing again and again, and expecting a different result.

How many times does a liberal idea have to fail, before you’d conclude it just doesn’t work?

most people, they see something fail 4 or 5 times, it starts to sink in. not you guys.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-30-2022 at 04:30 PM..
Old 05-30-2022, 04:27 PM   #129
Jim in CT

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump has called on US lawmakers to prioritise funding for school security over sending military aid to Ukraine.

tell me wayne, how many things are more important to americas interests, than protecting our children?

How many things are more important to you, than safeguarding our children? I’m very curious to know how many things are more important to you.

j
Old 05-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #130
Pete F.
Canceled

So far Republicans have blamed the shooting in Texas on the following instead of guns
1. FBI
2. CRT
3. Woke mobs
4. Doors that lock
5. Doors that don’t lock
6. Too many doors
7. Lockdowns
8. Cops
9. Not enough cops
10. Video games
11. Teachers
12. Ukraine aid
13. Chicago
14. Guns exist and nothing possibly can be done
15. Not safeguarding children, because Ukraine
Old 05-31-2022, 05:03 AM   #131
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
So far Republicans have blamed the shooting in Texas on the following instead of guns
1. FBI
2. CRT
3. Woke mobs
4. Doors that lock
5. Doors that don’t lock
6. Too many doors
7. Lockdowns
8. Cops
9. Not enough cops
10. Video games
11. Teachers
12. Ukraine aid
13. Chicago
14. Guns exist and nothing possibly can be done
15. Not safeguarding children, because Ukraine
nobody said the ukraine aid prevented us from safeguarding kids.

when the facts dont support your ideology, you lie. you can never, ever admit that liberalism has any flaws. neither can wayne or spence. not once, not ever.

If liberalism is so great, why is CT ( which has been a 40 year experiment in pure liberalism) bankrupt, unbelievably expensive, home to some of the greatest income inequality on the planet, the cities are abject failures,, and people are leaving?
Old 05-31-2022, 05:22 AM   #132
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
nobody said the ukraine aid prevented us from safeguarding kids.

when the facts dont support your ideology, you lie. you can never, ever admit that liberalism has any flaws. neither can wayne or spence. not once, not ever.

If liberalism is so great, why is CT ( which has been a 40 year experiment in pure liberalism) bankrupt, unbelievably expensive, home to some of the greatest income inequality on the planet, the cities are abject failures,, and people are leaving?
Nine out of the ten poorest states are Republican led and 95 out of the 100 poorest counties are also in Red States, but tell me again how Republican policies are great for Americans

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-31-2022, 06:56 AM   #133
Jim in CT

Quote:
Nine out of the ten poorest states are Republican led and 95 out of the 100 poorest counties are also in Red States, but tell me again how Republican policies are great for Americans
wealthy individuals lean left, poor individuals lean right.

What i asked, and which you dodged, was about CT.

CT is one of the wealthiest states, if you’re talking about the citizens. If you’re talking about the state itself, it’s bankrupt, despite having very high taxes applied to very high incomes. Meaning, we have the liberals who run the state, a ton of money. It didn’t work.

What states are people
moving to in the biggest numbers Pete? Red states or blue states?

Have fun contorting yourself like a gymnast, to avoid answering.

Therebarevolentynofnolaces in red states where I’d never want to live. But there are also places in red states which offer a great quality of life at a cheap price - Charlotte suburbs,,Nashville suburbs, plenty of places in NH where they can’t build $650,000 houses fast enough.

Can you point me to any places in blue states, which offer a high quality of life with very low taxes? Or are all of those places in conservative states?
Old 05-31-2022, 06:59 AM   #134
wdmso

Quote:
tell me wayne, how many things are more important to americas interests, than protecting our children?

How many things are more important to you, than safeguarding our children? I’m very curious to know how many things are more important to you.

j
how many things are more important to americas interests, than protecting our children?

We’ll for most Americans anything! Would be the answer

But that’s not the GOPs answer is it

Unless it the unborn. Or grooming of children by teachers , or Disney or about transgenders kids

Then the GOP is all over it

20 slaughtered in a class room.

It’s every other reason on the planet. Their too afraid to mention the Weapon.. and be labeled a Rino
Old 05-31-2022, 07:06 AM   #135
PaulS

Quote:
Exactly. I'm sure the states w/higher gun deaths are mostly R states. Look at health and welfare stats also - its not much different.

Last edited by PaulS; 05-31-2022 at 07:13 AM..
Old 05-31-2022, 07:22 AM   #136
Pete F.
Canceled

Now that Jim is concerned about income inequality and defines high quality of life by how you die or how little you pay in taxes and getting shot is good, here's the lowest gun deaths per capita.

California
Connecticut
New York
Rhode Island
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Hawaii

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-31-2022, 07:28 AM   #137
Jim in CT

Quote:
how many things are more important to americas interests, than protecting our children?

Unless it the unborn. Or grooming of children by teachers , or Disney or about transgenders kids

It’s every other reason on the planet. Their too afraid to mention the Weapon.. and be labeled a Rino
i’m not afraid to discuss the weapon. but you won’t discuss anything else.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:31 AM   #138
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Exactly. I'm sure the states w/higher gun deaths are mostly R states. Look at health and welfare stats also - its not much different.
are rich liberals, wealthy because of liberalism? and are poor people, poor because of conservative state government?

The people who live in Ct tend to be very wealthy. But the state itself, is in horrific financial shape. the unfounded debt, I think, is more than $75k for every human being in the state.

When you have astronomical
taxes and also have crushing debt, what does that tell you?

Take a drive through New Haven or Hartford. Are those places a lot better than big cities in red states?
Old 05-31-2022, 07:33 AM   #139
Jim in CT

Quote:

let’s get to the point. Instead of telling us that the GOP is evil, why not tell us what laws you’d propose, which are practical, constitutional, and which would likely have a meaningful beneficial impact to gun violence?
Old 05-31-2022, 07:35 AM   #140
PaulS

You're an actuary - Seems like there is a pretty good correlation between the states political leanings and their wealth (All people don't measure things by just the $).
Old 05-31-2022, 07:40 AM   #141
Jim in CT

Quote:
You're an actuary - Seems like there is a pretty good correlation between the states political leanings and their wealth (All people don't measure things by just the $).
rich people used lean right. in the past few years, that changed. now they lean left.

that doesn’t mean liberalism created that wealth. it’s harder to be wealthy in liberal states Paul. i could
move to NH and put almost $1,000 a month in my pocket, between the lack of income tax and sales tax. $1,000 a month, every month. Know what that adds up to over a few decades?

A ton.

CT is t rich because of liberalism. It’s rich, primarily, because if it’s good fortune to be next door to New York City.

And while you keep talking about the citizens of CT, for some reason you don’t seem to want to discuss the financial status of our state government.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:58 AM   #142
PaulS

It's not harder to be rich in liberal states. The stats prove otherwise. You're holding the location of Ct against CT while ignoring the advantages of the location of FL. The CT debt sucks. But people aren't moving to FL. just bc of taxes/policies. The US pop. is getting older so they want to move to warmer place and get out of the snow/cold.

It is not as simple as looking at one metric and ignoring others. Every state has its good/bad.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:14 AM   #143
Jim in CT

Quote:
It's not harder to be rich in liberal states. The stats prove otherwise. You're holding the location of Ct against CT while ignoring the advantages of the location of FL. The CT debt sucks. But people aren't moving to FL. just bc of taxes/policies. The US pop. is getting older so they want to move to warmer place and get out of the snow/cold.

It is not as simple as looking at one metric and ignoring others. Every state has its good/bad.
i just proved it’s harder to be wealthy in CT. living here costs me $1,000 more each month, compared to the cost of living in NH. Hundreds of thousands of dollars over a lifetime. And i have literally nothing to show for that. I get nothing i couldnt get in a nice NH suburb like Hollis or Brookline.

My salary has absolutely nothing to do with the state government of CT. Absolutely nothing. Neither does the salary of the hedge fund managers in New Canaan.

You’re confusing correlation with causation. it’s a common mistake, and a gigantic mistake.

Today’s democratic party platform is attractive to the wealthy. Today’s republican platform is attractive to the working poor. Neither party is causing its fans to be wealthy or poor.

if people are moving for weather, why are they moving to FL and not to southern CA.

You have fun answering that one.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #144
PaulS

Somehow it is a lot harder to be wealthy in Conn than those states led by Rs yet the richest states are led by Ds. So who should we believe that stats based on 350M people or what you say?

And if your company was in Ark you would be paid a lot less.

You're looking at only 1 fact of many.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:59 AM   #145
Jim in CT

Quote:
Somehow it is a lot harder to be wealthy in Conn than those states led by Rs yet the richest states are led by Ds. So who should we believe that stats based on 350M people or what you say?

a state with rich residents, is different than a state that has a lot of money and can help its needy citizens.

Again, i used elementary school
arithmetic to show that for folks like me, it’s a lot harder to accumulate wealth in CT than, say, NH. i will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes that i wouldn’t pay in NH. and nothing to show for it.

CT is a beautiful and expensive place. Therefore, if you’re wealthy, it’s a terrific place to live. So it will attract wealthy people.

You’re again confusing correlation with causation. Most of the country’s grizzly bears live in Alaska, which is a red state. Can i therefore conclude that conservatism is better for grizzly bears than liberalism? or would that be stupid?
Old 05-31-2022, 09:00 AM   #146
Jim in CT

Quote:

i can move to NH and keep the same salary. same salary, much lower taxes.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:10 AM   #147
PaulS

And when my company moved to regional offices in Tx and were looking for people to staff the office they said don't expect the same raises. Goldman Sachs said if you leave NY don't expect a NY salary.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:22 AM   #148
Jim in CT

Quote:
And when my company moved to regional offices in Tx and were looking for people to staff the office they said don't expect the same raises. Goldman Sachs said if you leave NY don't expect a NY salary.
i’m familiar with regional salary adjustments. and at every company i’ve worked at, it was assumed
that the extra money to live in the northeast, was nowhere near enough to compensate you for the higher cost of living.

Everything is more expensive in CT. taxes, car taxes to the town ( which doesn’t exist in many places) has taxes, utility rates, groceries, UCONN, almost every aspect if life is more expensive. the cumulative additional
cost over a lifetime, is astronomical.

And we both know, that as boomers retire and the state is paying those pensions, taxes will go way up. The penalty to live here cannot fail to increase over the next 20 years.

And i have no idea what we get for that money. Our roads stink, our cities stink, UCONN is expensive for a public school.

I work for a huge huge company. Every CT employee could
move to NH and keep the same salary. So how would
i be wrong, if i said it’s harder to accumulate wealth in CT than it would be in NH?
Old 05-31-2022, 09:27 AM   #149
Jim in CT

Quote:

when you’re asking whether or not liberalism makes it harder to accumulate wealth over a lifetime, taxes is an obvious metric. The state government controls its tax rates

Do you admit that over 50 years, you’d pay a ton more in taxes if you lived in CT, compared to living in a Boston suburb in NH?

And maybe you need to look at other factors. Fine. Please tell me what factors make CT look cheaper than NH? What factors offset the higher taxes in CT?

if UCONN was free, you’d have a point. It ain’t.

If we had no gas taxes, you’d have a point. But we do.

All i can think of is tolls. NH had tolls and we don’t. But we have insane gas taxes.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:55 AM   #150
Jim in CT

Funny thing, it was only a few years ago that most wealthy people leaned right. And liberals used that fact (and it was indeed a fact) to say that the GOP only cared about the wealthy, and that the democrats were the party of the little guy.

Today, most wealthy people lean left. and all of a sudden, democrats don't think it's bad to be the party of the rich. Now, the lefties here claim it's a bad sign that the GOP is the party of the working stiff.

Whatever fits the narrative.