Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

The right to vote

Should people who receive money from the taxpayers have the right to vote?
Shouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interest?
I mean think about it, the more people on the public dole the better for the politicians that need their vote. If I was the party in control and wanted to ensure my parties reelection I would increase the number of people who benefit from other peoples money which would ensure their support. It seems to me that the politicians are not looking out for the good of the country as a whole but just looking to ensure that they can retain power at the expense of others.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
It seems to me that the politicians are not looking out for the good of the country as a whole but just looking to ensure that they can retain power at the expense of others.
like legalizing "illegal aliens" of which 99% will support Democrats?
WE've posted before that were are very, very close in this country to having all of the taxes paid by the minority of voters. So basically you pay the bills and have no majoirty voice!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
FishermanTim

Maybe there should be a test for voter registration, to at least guarantee that the voter knows what he/she is voting for and why?
Unfortunately we have too many people that vote as a sort of popularity contest, not as a means of obtaining the best for the people. The politicians are no better, since they ALL lower their standards and pander to whoever will give them their vote.

Maybe the next politician that utters the immortal words "No new taxes!" should be kicked in the crotch and given a "swirley" in a port-pottie!

We need to make sure that voters are informed and not just led to the polls like sheep to the slaughter house!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Maybe there should be a test for voter registration, to at least guarantee that the voter knows what he/she is voting for and why?
Unfortunately we have too many people that vote as a sort of popularity contest, not as a means of obtaining the best for the people. The politicians are no better, since they ALL lower their standards and pander to whoever will give them their vote.

Maybe the next politician that utters the immortal words "No new taxes!" should be kicked in the crotch and given a "swirley" in a port-pottie!

We need to make sure that voters are informed and not just led to the polls like sheep to the slaughter house!
then we would be discriminating against dumb people

Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

its America....every citizen over the age of 18 has the right to a vote....period

not even debatable...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Should people who receive money from the taxpayers have the right to vote?
Shouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interest?
I think you should add corporate CEO's and lobbyists to the list then, if they're in industries that negatively impact the environment add their entire families.

-spence
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
then we would be discriminating against dumb people
OK, so we let them vote..... for something like "What flavor of Slim-Jim goes best with cheap beer?" or "When dating relatives, how soon is too soon to announce your engagement?" or maybe "Whose huntin' dog has the pretty face?"

Since proof of citizenship is no longer verified for voting, why not have a questionaire with questions you would have to answer when applying for citizenship? It could potentially solve 2 problems at one time!

As I have said before, "Let the campaign circus begin!"
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Bronko

Nope ,unfortunately the leches and layabouts who drain more from the country than they contribute definitely have a right to vote as well. I am sure our founding fathers never envisioned a mass of people living off the hard work and sacrifices of others or the constitution would have definitely looked a lot different. And I know they would be horrified by the size and current exponential growth of the government. Use your vote in November wisely.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
scottw

with all of the dead people and illegal aliens that vote for democrats each election cycle, it really wouldn't be fair to tell any legally eligible citizen that they can't vote.....
Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Yup, all American citizens have a rigth to vote, just require last years tax return as proof of citizenship when registering.
Two birds with one stone.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
its America....every citizen over the age of 18 has the right to a vote....period

not even debatable...
I agree.
However, Ma. Aholes have fought the Feds, tooth and nail to restrict the right of our men and women over seas their right to vote.

Vote them out
Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Nope ,unfortunately the leches and layabouts who drain more from the country than they contribute definitely have a right to vote as well. I am sure our founding fathers never envisioned a mass of people living off the hard work and sacrifices of others or the constitution would have definitely looked a lot different. And I know they would be horrified by the size and current exponential growth of the government. Use your vote in November wisely.

So everyone who gets back more than they contribute can't vote?? You've just knocked 50% of the voting pop. out.

If I pay more in taxes than you, am I suppose to consider you a leach?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
My father was upset when he heard that Medicare Advantage was under fire in the new health bill. I did explain to him that Medicare Advantage participants actually received a higher share of taxpayer dollars...

He's a leech too.

-spence
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Yup, all American citizens have a rigth to vote, just require last years tax return as proof of citizenship when registering.
Two birds with one stone.
Having a tax return doesn't make you a citizen...it just means you've paid your taxes!

-spence
Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Bronko

Quote:
So everyone who gets back more than they contribute can't vote?? You've just knocked 50% of the voting pop. out.

Did you even read my post? I said everyone has the right to vote whether we like it or not. I do have a problem with the amount I am taxed and to whom that money goes. That is my problem and I will vote accordingly.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Having a tax return doesn't make you a citizen...it just means you've paid your taxes!

-spence
And in addition a return requires you to have a Social Security # which can only be obtained by a US citizen or LAWFULLY admitted citizen.

Citizen tax payer or filer.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Did you even read my post? I said everyone has the right to vote whether we like it or not. I do have a problem with the amount I am taxed and to whom that money goes. That is my problem and I will vote accordingly.

The question was "Should people who receive money from the taxpayers have the right to vote?"

Your response was "nope, unfortunately...."

I guess writing isn't your strong suit.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

The question was "Should people who receive money from the taxpayers have the right to vote?"

**** arrogant a$$ alert ********

just letting ya know how you come across on the web

Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Every citizen has the right to vote. No. Questions. Asked.

Assuming proof of citizenship.

Can anyone give me a rational answer on why there is no proof of citizenship needed to vote?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

If you are going to be the arrogant a$$ police....make sure you ticket everybody

Plenty of offenders floating around here....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
PaulS

Quote:

I respond in kind. Asking someone if they read the post was trying to be demeaning.

Just as you haven't been calling people moron lately and Scott has seemed to have toned down his insults, I haven't been telling people their classless.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
scottw

Quote:
I respond in kind. Asking someone if they read the post was trying to be demeaning.

Just as you haven't been calling people moron lately and Scott has seemed to have toned down his insults, I haven't been telling people their classless.
how did I get dragged into this
Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Every citizen has the right to vote. No. Questions. Asked.

Assuming proof of citizenship.

Can anyone give me a rational answer on why there is no proof of citizenship needed to vote?

Not a rational answer, except maybe a political one,
but I think we have come to a point where a permanent photo citizen voting ID card needs to be shown at the voting booth along with signing the registration ledger.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
If you are going to be the arrogant a$$ police....make sure you ticket everybody

Plenty of offenders floating around here....
no no - PaulS has commented before on how he comes across on the web and I was just highlighting an example. This was not a random reply

Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
ecduzitgood
time to go

Maybe when one party has gotten all the people who benefit from them to support only their party forming a majority the other parties will just cease to exist. Then there will be only one party and we will have to figure out who is the wolf in sheep's clothing, which is what I would like to see now...No party affiliation and majority rules, and then you wouldn't have the one party fighting the other; so something may actually get done and all of the reaching across the isle BS would end.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
how did I get dragged into this
Can't you view my post as saying I think your posts are now classy?

And I have no problem needing to prove your a citizen to register.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

Maybe when one party has gotten all the people who benefit from them to support only their party forming a majority the other parties will just cease to exist. Then there will be only one party and we will have to figure out who is the wolf in sheep's clothing, which is what I would like to see now...No party affiliation and majority rules, and then you wouldn't have the one party fighting the other; so something may actually get done and all of the reaching across the isle BS would end.
I think the party system is stupid, I hope the rise of the independents drives a change in the system

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Not a rational answer, except maybe a political one,
but I think we have come to a point where a permanent photo citizen voting ID card needs to be shown at the voting booth along with signing the registration ledger.

Best response yet.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

yes, because democrats have worked very hard in the districts under their control to identify and keep dead people and others on the voter rolls so that illegal aliens and college students, felons and others can be bussed in and vote multiple times for democrats...

or...minorities and the poor would be hardest hit if there were a requirement to show some form of ID in order to vote...

Last edited by scottw; 09-14-2010 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
Bronko

Quote:

The question was two part, and the pertinant part was whether there was a conflict of interst in their inherent right to vote. I said "nope" there was not. They legally have a right to vote.

I'll leave your critique of my writing skills alone. I am confident they are strong enough for the message boards.