Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #91
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
So.... This is a gun nut

Again,I am not opposed to guns. Just stupidity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
As am I.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #92
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Gun manufacturers fought hard against a regulation that would require additional sets of serial numbers in hidden locations on guns because it would cost too much.
Trouble is some of the guns used to kill people, including police officers have these serial numbers erased or removed and can't be traced, so killers can't be brought to justice.
Some of these victims families find it irresponsible of gun companies, why deny them the right to be heard in court.
How does the serial number on a gun prevent somebody from using it illegally ? The serial number could only be used to locate an owner if the police have that gun in hand. Chances are that gun was not purchased legally anyway .
Old 01-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #93
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
And how about ghost guns that are made with no serial number or even with a serial number of a legal gun. It's the people who misuse the guns that are to blame. If I use a Bic lighter to set a home on fire killing the people inside should Bic be held responsible?
Ed it is required by law that the "ghost gun" be engraved to NFA standards when it is "ready to fire ". The ability for a person to manufacture a firearm is what people who are against firearms call "ghost guns". This is just another whole thread of lets blame the gun, not the criminal who steals it ,or the criminal that illegally removes the serial number or the criminal that uses it to commit murder. Lets blame something other than the person using it.
MA requires a citizen to complete a firearms safety course ,from there the applicant must pass a federal and state background check. Then it is up to the chief of police. After all that you may be issued a license to carry. As for any other useless bull#^&#^&#^&#^&? No thanks, I've passed all of it already. Don't like them ? Don't go near them, end of story. But to fabricate more redundant regulations is foolish.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #94
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yea, but that would just make it easier to tell which shops are selling guns that find their way into cop killers hands...

Oh wait.
I know right...because criminals frequently purchase their guns legally and register them to themselves and then leave them at the scene of the crime so that the police can trace the weapon back them....good grief
Old 01-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #95
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I didn't say all, I said the majority of...you're just cherry picking.

And in several of these you mention the killer clearly didn't have a plan to stay alive. Creating a situation where you're likely going to die is basically the same thing.
Maybe they didn't believe they were going to die.....considering they were gun free zones....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #96
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I know right...because criminals frequently purchase their guns legally and register them to themselves and then leave them at the scene of the crime so that the police can trace the weapon back them....good grief
You didn't do your homework.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #97
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Maybe they didn't believe they were going to die.....considering they were gun free zones....
How did you suspend your logic to post that?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #98
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
How did you suspend your logic to post that?
I fed the info into the Spence-O-Meter.....its an invention of mine that takes the info, strips out the facts, removes common sense......then neatly spits it out all wrapped up in a nice bundle of unsubstantiated beliefs and sarcastic innuendos.

Don't worry., I'll credit you when I get the patent registered

Old 01-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #99
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
As am I.
So your comment about hoping the weak are put into situations to suffer the consequence of their cowardice.....is that supposed to make you sound intelligent? Because I got the opposite effect. Btw,do guns make people stronger?
Again,there are no dumb guns. But an abundance of dumb gun owners.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #100
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I fed the info into the Spence-O-Meter.....its an invention of mine that takes the info, strips out the facts, removes common sense......then neatly spits it out all wrapped up in a nice bundle of unsubstantiated beliefs and sarcastic innuendos.

Don't worry., I'll credit you when I get the patent registered
:claps
Old 01-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #101
detbuch

Quote:
I kept reading and waiting for some good evidence, even one great anecdote and came up empty.

And your reasoning that because some mass shootings do happen in gun free zones as proof of it as a factor really doesn't pass the smell test.
You didn't ask for proof, you asked for evidence.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:54 AM   #102
Slipknot
Super Moderator

It is an executive action which is a lot different than an order thankfully.

God help this country from all the numb nuts who have their heads in the sand.
Keep right on believing and telling yourselves that it's those rich republicans who are the bad guys. There seems to be no understanding here anymore
Did all the liberals not take history classes in school?
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #103
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #104
tysdad115

Quote:
So your comment about hoping the weak are put into situations to suffer the consequence of their cowardice.....is that supposed to make you sound intelligent? Because I got the opposite effect. Btw,do guns make people stronger?
Again,there are no dumb guns. But an abundance of dumb gun owners.
And your thought or opinion of what I wrote is supposed to matter to me ? Wrong again. Do guns make people stronger ? No they don't. But it is an indivduals option to choose whether they own them. Yet everybody that is afraid of them thinks nobody should own them. Those people should have to suffer the consequences should anything happen. But hey I'm a dumb gun owner with my own opinion that won't be coerced into changing how I feel about things. And if it doesn't agree with how others feel well that's just too bad, out come the labels and insults. My feelings aren't hurt. Carry on.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #105
Sea Dangles

If it doesn't matter then why do you keep responding? I am not a gun person but I am all for the right to carry. Your stereotypes are wrong
Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #106
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Written when to of the line firearm was a single shot musket....

I'm with DZ (and gulp, I agree with Dangles). CCW for self defense, sure. Hunting rifles, shotguns for hunting or home protection. Absolutely.

I think there is a limit where at minimum for some types of firearms a special permit beyond is required, I think to me, that is not denying someone there right, but does place some restrictions that hopefully keep some out of the wrong hands. A common theme in a lot of these instances is mental health.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #107
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
And how about ghost guns that are made with no serial number or even with a serial number of a legal gun. It's the people who misuse the guns that are to blame. If I use a Bic lighter to set a home on fire killing the people inside should Bic be held responsible?
So, I am not a gun owner, and am admittedly a bit naive on the process. As a sportsman I have a lot of friends that hunt and support that right, and the right to carry if you feel the need.

What I want to know, and Andy and Ross, educate me. How DO so many guns get into the wrong hands? I don't just mean the mentally ill, but the gang bangers etc.. where do they come from?

Straw purchases (i.e. San Bernadino)?
Illegal imports (i.e. the 'Irish' on Sons of Anarchy)
Stolen? (from where? Homes? Factories?)
Secret manufacturing plants?
The so-called gun show loop holes?

How do we deal with this without restricting your rights?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #108
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

My opinion is that majority are stolen and traded through black market. The registration of existing guns has a horrendous track record, which is slowly being addressed. But there are a great many guns in the hands/homes of an older generation that aren't offering them up for registration. Many, I believe, slip through the cracks in the subsequent "transfer" of weapons after an owner dies. I am handling one for a family now. Deceased was formerly a FFL. So far, I have taken possession (ie. removed from the house) 34 firearms. Police captain pulled up the record, and his PIN for me, in order to transfer. Only had three weapons registered..... Three. We still have two safes and the attic to explore as well....
Background checks? I am good with that. Mass seems to do a decent job with that. I think my Class A took just under three months to process. My twins are annoyed that I wont take them out shooting until they take the safety course with a certified instructor.... (My fault for taking them out once with a sporting shotgun and now saying we can't go shoot handguns.) And is the current safety course enough? Probably not. But these are the areas; background checks, registration, and training that need to be addressed. Not banning the weapons, and certainly not rewriting the Constitution.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #109
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So, I am not a gun owner, and am admittedly a bit naive on the process. As a sportsman I have a lot of friends that hunt and support that right, and the right to carry if you feel the need.

What I want to know, and Andy and Ross, educate me. How DO so many guns get into the wrong hands? I don't just mean the mentally ill, but the gang bangers etc.. where do they come from?

Straw purchases (i.e. San Bernadino)?
Illegal imports (i.e. the 'Irish' on Sons of Anarchy)
Stolen? (from where? Homes? Factories?)
Secret manufacturing plants?
The so-called gun show loop holes?

How do we deal with this without restricting your rights?
Like drugs if there is money to be made selling them illegally there will be those that will procure them to sell . Remember prohibition? The war on drugs ? How's that working out ?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #110
Sea Dangles

Thank you Ross for a coherent and educated response. This thread has demonstrated that not all gun owners are reckless and also perhaps that those who choose not to exercise their privilege to carry may not be cowards who deserve to be threatened. I have to admit that I had no idea that anybody with a permit could purchase an assault rifle. I am all for an amendment to this area of the law.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #111
buckman

Quote:
Thank you Ross for a coherent and educated response. This thread has demonstrated that not all gun owners are reckless and also perhaps that those who choose not to exercise their privilege to carry may not be cowards who deserve to be threatened. I have to admit that I had no idea that anybody with a permit could purchase an assault rifle. I am all for an amendment to this area of the law.
What's an assault weapon genius ?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #112
Sea Dangles

I am honestly not sure
Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #113
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Chris, the term "assault weapon" has been bandied about and misused on both side of the argument. This bill wants to also include any semi-automatic weapon capable of accepting a magazine of more than ten rounds. This would include many/most sidearms carried by LEOs... Are they assault weapons? Semi-automatic is simply a weapon that utilizes the energy from the expended cartridge to chamber a subsequent cartridge from the magazine. Can I buy a gun now with an extended magazine? Not in Mass. Do I have magazines manufactured and possessed in state before the ban, ie. 1994? Yes. And that is my right. If the weapon meets the standards of the state and fed, meaning that it is not all tricked out( with threaded barrel for example), and has the allowed number of foreign vs. domestic parts, it passes the test. A whole slew of kits are out there to build and add on, because people want a cool looking gun. This bill's authors would have me limited to .22 pea shooters. My point is if I am ready to put my finger inside the trigger guard, I do not want to be under gunned. While this bill leaves many solid weapons on the table, it is effectively putting the law abiding citizen at a considerable disadvantage when it comes to firepower. And that is not the intention of the 2nd Amendment.

Maybe they would rather we could only have flintlock muzzle loaders......

Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #114
buckman

Quote:
I am honestly not sure
I appreciate your honesty .
It's a made up definition used to scare people .A license for automatic weapons , if that's what you mean , is not easy to get and subject to a more thorough federal back ground check .

Last edited by buckman; 01-03-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Old 01-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #115
ecduzitgood
time to go

Very interesting read and I agree with the author...
http://www.claytoncramer.com/popular...Protected.html
Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #116
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

definition

Under the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" included specific semi-automatic firearm models by name, and other semi-automatic firearms that possessed two or more from a set certain features:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following: Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following: Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following: Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #117
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It's a made up definition used to scare people.
I never realized that. I thought it was just a very plainspoken way to describe a gun that has features designed and intended for combat over say hunting or self defense.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #118
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It's a made up definition used to scare people
Repeat after me.... WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #119
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I never realized that. I thought it was just a very plainspoken way to describe a gun that has features designed and intended for combat over say hunting or self defense.
Not exactly. My understanding is that Hitler came up with the name Sturmgewehr 44 for the new improved German battle rifle. Loosely translated it is assault weapon, as he wanted it to be used to "storm" enemy positions. One of the first to have selective fire feature, which usually means safe, single/semiautomatic, or auto with 2 or 3 round bursts more so than full auto. Full auto can melt a barrel within two or three mags....

Old 01-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #120
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Part of the problem is that misinformation gets propagated about what AR stands for in models like the AR15.......people think it stands for assault rifle, where it actually stands for the manufacturer of the original model......ArmaLite