Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
FishermanTim

hobies...

I was checking a magazine showing this year's models, and when they showed a selection of Hobies I thought the prices were a misprint.

I remember when they first came on the market you would shell out over a grand for one.
This year's models are pricing well over double that amount!

You would think that with increased popularity the prices would have become more reasonable, not completely asinine!
I would never consider spending what they are asking for a kayak!
Maybe a jet ski, but never a kayak.

Who am I kidding... I'd never buy a jet ski.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
They came on the market in like 2000........thats 16 years ago. Everything costs more! I own 2 and they are worth every penny and they hold their value pretty well too!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
FishermanTim

I won't argue that everything cost more, but when the cost increases 2 to 4 times it just makes me wonder.

I don't see there being any major advances that would warrant that kind of layout just for a kayak. It kind of like a new model of fishing rod, reel line or lure....the cost doesn't matter as long as you can have the latest, newest one!

Maybe I'm just a frugal individual but I can't see paying that much just for a kayak.

**I'm not knocking the product, just the cost.**

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
EliTheBeerGuy

The way I see it, a 15' boat, used with a little wear and tear will run you $2000-3000 right? But then you've got to buy gas, oil, fix the motor, new tires on the trailer, etc etc.

New Hobie is $2200 with the necessary accessories. No fuel, no ramp permits, no trailer registration. I'm on my second Hobie now and absolutely love them.

Don't get me wrong, if money wasn't tight and I could easily afford a 20' boat and a slip at the marina I would. But for the time being, it's hard to beat a Hobie
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
EliTheBeerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I have to say they are worth the money, because I have a set of docks I fish every May, where bass stage in large numbers and set up to feed on bait as the heavy current hits the floats and the key to catching is to flip small plastic to the upcurrent side of the floats and it's a fish on most every cast. Yesterday I reversed the drive on the Hobie PA14 and used the paddles to get me in between two sets of floats and then used the drive to keep the kayak in reverse and allow me to work back and forth to flip plastic against the dozen boat slips that are still without boats this time of year. It's like patting your head, rubbing your belly and saying your ABC's backwords, when trying to release a scrappy 26" fish, while trying to avoid a strong current pulling you into the floats or backing up too much and into the floats behind you, but this Kayak is that flexible to allow for that approach. Caught 50+ fish and probably a dozen just under legal size, until I decided that was good enough for day one in the salt.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I think you are mistaken on the price when they came out, I bought my first kayak, an OK Prowler brand new in 2007 for $950. I remember at that time the hobies were $1900, the first major price hike in years was last year when they introduced the new seat and drive, now they are $2,300. Still a lot of money, don't get me wrong, but what others have said about value is so true.

Now the $4K plus for the larger pro anglers?? that's getting a little nutty.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If the Hobie didn't exist, I'd probably be pulling a 16 foot aluminum, but because of the ability to peddle and not focus on boat control so much was what convinced me to buy. Trust me, I do think it's a lot of money, but when I sold the center console, I promised myself I'd treat myself to a new small ride of some sort or another. It's also nice to pull up to the water's edge without dunking the trailer tires and just slide that puppy off the cradles in into the water. Also nice to have the ability to put it on the balloon tires if the ramp is a cluster F and not have to wait my turn.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
EliTheBeerGuy

Btw, another reason to fish from the Hobie...

Fished flats near the river mouth the other morning. Several boats working the edge of the flats, casting as far as they can to the shallow water. Meanwhile I'm in 3' of water and fishing comfortably in the current. Hands free from paddles and catching fish right in front of the boats.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
EliTheBeerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

oh yeah and boulder fields you can do the same thing!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote