Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
detbuch

What motivates ISIS recruits?

A short video from CBS interviewing a young defector From ISIS who tells what motivated him to join the terrorist group. Not a word about Trump.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/isis-d...raws-recruits/
<embed src="http://www.cbsnews.com/common/video/cbsnews_video.swf" scale="noscale" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#000000" width="620" height="387" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="pType=embed&si=254&pid=taMAhxcxVJZB&uui d=1fd4ffcb-8e08-4f36-a78b-12548115c560&url=http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/isis-defector-reveals-how-terror-groups-propaganda-draws-recruits/" />
Old 05-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Well seeing Isis was around long before Trump.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
wdmso

It always been about control and power , money and they use religion get you in and fear to keep you obedient .. sprinkle in some true believers and you have terrorists

its always been against what the US stands for but make no mistake our actions or comments from current or former POTUS Give fuel to their and other propaganda its a comprehensive package

and Anyone who thinks Trump has no impact or is the cause haven't been paying attention the last 25 years

Last edited by wdmso; 05-06-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Old 05-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Nebe

I think the largest thing going for isis is that these guys have zero chances at prosperity on their own right now. Everything has gone to #^&#^&#^&#^& over there and then this entity rolls through the land like a black cloud that says you are going to join us or we are going to kill you and your family. But if you join us, we will feed you, pay you and hook you up with a woman.

It's like the wetsuiters who took over montauk surfcasting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I think the largest thing going for isis is that these guys have zero chances at prosperity on their own right now. Everything has gone to #^&#^&#^&#^& over there and then this entity rolls through the land like a black cloud that says you are going to join us or we are going to kill you and your family. But if you join us, we will feed you, pay you and hook you up with a woman.

if you have people employed able to feed their family's and have a decent life . you reduce the allure of theses groups

but some one comes along and telsl them some one else is taking their jobs pay them min wage deny they healthcare. and everyones against Christians . oh wait thats America
Old 05-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
if you have people employed able to feed their family's and have a decent life . you reduce the allure of theses groups

but some one comes along and telsl them some one else is taking their jobs pay them min wage deny they healthcare. and everyones against Christians . oh wait thats America
😂😜😜😜😂
Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

Oh, sure this is so tightly relative (/sarc). Significant difference between where we are and where they are.

SO while you hit on some key points, it is of course, all America's fault.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
detbuch

and
Quote:

Then we should be expecting an American ISIS any minute now.

Oh wait . . . American terrorists are not driven by poverty or lack of healthcare. Like terrorists around the world (and like the defector in the video), they are driven by ideology.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
wdmso

My point was How easy it is it is even in America to rally people with False Statement and fear.. with a selective message

We have domestic terror groups but ours donot normally kill people or cut off heads but they all share the same dynamic.. the pursuit of political aims.

1 Anti-abortion violence
3 Eco-terrorism
4 Terrorist organizations
4.1 Animal Liberation Front
4.2 Alpha 66 and Omega 7
4.3 Army of God
4.4 Aryan Nations
4.5 Black Liberation Army
4.6 The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord
4.7 Earth Liberation Front
4.8 Jewish Defense League
4.9 Ku Klux Klan
4.10 May 19th Communist Organization
4.11 The Order
4.12 Phineas Priesthood
4.13 Symbionese Liberation Army
Old 05-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
and

Then we should be expecting an American ISIS any minute now.

Oh wait . . . American terrorists are not driven by poverty or lack of healthcare. Like terrorists around the world (and like the defector in the video), they are driven by ideology.

American terrorists are not driven by poverty or lack of healthcare.

Not yet anyway ....
Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #11
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Oh, sure this is so tightly relative (/sarc). Significant difference between where we are and where they are.

SO while you hit on some key points, it is of course, all America's fault.
John if Americans can take credit for all thats right in the world we also need to take some responsibility for a lot of whats wrong in the world.. when we clearly had a hand in it ... That applies at home as well as abroad

I love my country and cheer her on when I think shes right and let it be know when I thinks shes wrong reguardless whos at the helm ..

100% no questioning devotion i'll leave that to North Koreans
Old 05-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
buckman

Quote:
John if Americans can take credit for all thats right in the world we also need to take some responsibility for a lot of whats wrong in the world.. when we clearly had a hand in it ... That applies at home as well as abroad

I love my country and cheer her on when I think shes right and let it be know when I thinks shes wrong reguardless whos at the helm ..

100% no questioning devotion i'll leave that to North Koreans
While I will always respect and appreciate your service for the country , you have an extremely liberal and hypocritical view of America and appear to find glee in posting anything , true or false that disrespects the current President . My observation is you have an extremely critical view of America and feel we do more harm than good in the world . Sad
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
American terrorists are not driven by poverty or lack of healthcare.

[COLOR=S"RoyalBlue"]Not yet anyway ....[/COLOR]
So you're predicting that we are going to have an ISIS type terrorist group in America because someone, as you said, came along and told Americans someone else is taking their jobs pay them minimum wage deny their healthcare and everyone is against Christians?

Other than that health care has not nor will not be denied, Christianity is not founded on terrorism as Islam is, minimum wage is (erroneously) supposed to provide better income not deny it, and jobs have always gone to someone else who is willing to do them better or for less money . . . other than your BS characterization, why do you predict we will have an ISIS type terrorist movement in America?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
While I will always respect and appreciate your service for the country , you have an extremely liberal and hypocritical view of America and appear to find glee in posting anything , true or false that disrespects the current President . My observation is you have an extremely critical view of America and feel we do more harm than good in the world . Sad
funny... last I heard, when Saddam was still ruling over Iraq, thinks we're going pretty well for most of the country. Then we come in and turn the place upside down, trash the place and leave a power vacuum. Isis comes in and takes over.
If you can't connect these dots, you need to wake up. Isis is on us... we tilled th soil, we fertilized the field to let that weed grow. We may not have spred the seed but we did everything else.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
funny... last I heard, when Saddam was still ruling over Iraq, thinks we're going pretty well for most of the country. Then we come in and turn the place upside down, trash the place and leave a power vacuum. Isis comes in and takes over.
If you can't connect these dots, you need to wake up. Isis is on us... we tilled th soil, we fertilized the field to let that weed grow. We may not have spred the seed but we did everything else.
The power vacuum occurred when the US military left Iraq. Now that we are more actively engaged, the power is shifting. If the Middle East, specifically Islamic States and Islamic ideology, which are based on fear and power rather than on free individuals, do not transform, various Saddams, Osama bin Ladens, and terrorist groups, and Assads, and Irans, and Saudi Arabia's, and Talibans, etc., which all existed before we went into Iraq . . . unless there is a transformation, these nasty things will continue.

Sometimes it takes power to get rid of power. If you connect dots in history, that often seems to be the case.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

Please Buckman you cant take the high ground now...were was your defense of the former Potus and all the disrespects throw his way ... it was no where to be seen .... thats funny

you have an extremely critical view of America and feel we do more harm than good in the world

again,, another made up statement I was clear America needs to accept some responsibility thats all.. I have a realistic view of America so should i assume you have an unrealistic view of America and feel we should accept no responsibilities for our actions ?

Last edited by wdmso; 05-07-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Old 05-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
wdmso

Quote:
So you're predicting that we are going to have an ISIS type terrorist group in America because someone, as you said, came along and told Americans someone else is taking their jobs pay them minimum wage deny their healthcare and everyone is against Christians?

Other than that health care has not nor will not be denied, Christianity is not founded on terrorism as Islam is, minimum wage is (erroneously) supposed to provide better income not deny it, and jobs have always gone to someone else who is willing to do them better or for less money . . . other than your BS characterization, why do you predict we will have an ISIS type terrorist movement in America?

its not a prediction a possibility

I never said we have ISIS type terrorist movement in America? thats you making stuff up
Old 05-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
its not a prediction a possibility

Why choose that possibility? There are unlimited possibilities. It's "probably" quite likely that what you say is possible won't actually happen. It's "probably" more likely that the country will get better rather than the likelihood that we will have terrorists because of the way you characterized America.

I never said we have ISIS type terrorist movement in America? thats you making stuff up
Then you changed the subject. The subject of this thread is ISIS recruitment. And your characterization of America as a country in which someone comes along and tells Americans that someone else is taking their jobs, pays them minimum wage, denies them healthcare, and everyone is against Christians, was all a response to Eben's post which was about ISIS and its recruitment methods. So I assumed that your "possibility" was that because of your pathetic characterization of America that American terrorists would result from that negative characterization.

And I didn't say that you said we have an ISIS type terrorist movement in America. I assumed that your ""Not yet anyway . . ." was a prediction that we would have one.

Last edited by detbuch; 05-07-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Old 05-08-2017, 03:29 AM   #19
wdmso

Quote:
Then you changed the subject. The subject of this thread is ISIS recruitment. And your characterization of America as a country in which someone comes along and tells Americans that someone else is taking their jobs, pays them minimum wage, denies them healthcare, and everyone is against Christians, was all a response to Eben's post which was about ISIS and its recruitment methods. So I assumed that your "possibility" was that because of your pathetic characterization of America that American terrorists would result from that negative characterization.

And I didn't say that you said we have an ISIS type terrorist movement in America. I assumed that your ""Not yet anyway . . ." was a prediction that we would have one.

Lets be honest about subject.. your post had little to do about ISIS recruitment. Rather it had more to do with trying to Insulate Trump from suggestions he's being used as a material for ISIS ( a gotcha video) My point was How easy it is it is even in America to rally people with False Statement and fear.. with a selective message or did you you miss that ?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Lets be honest about subject.. your post had little to do about ISIS recruitment. Rather it had more to do with trying to Insulate Trump from suggestions he's being used as a material for ISIS ( a gotcha video) My point was How easy it is it is even in America to rally people with False Statement and fear.. with a selective message or did you you miss that ?
It's a little less than amazing how you keep accusing others, me included, of making stuff up, especially about accusing you of saying something you didn't say. Yet you blithely make stuff up and tell others, me included, what I supposedly really was saying.

Here, you're first sentence hints that I wasn't being honest. Well, again, you're making stuff up. Of !COURSE! I was pointing out that accusations against Trump being a recruiter for ISIS is a stretch which misses the most fundamental motivation for joining ISIS. ISIS would exist and recruit with or without Trump. Trying to make him a recruiter because of what he has said (let's be honest, as you say) is political fodder to make him look bad. That was one of the many ways of trying to make him look bad compared to Hillary during the campaign. Where did I hide or try to be sneaky about pointing that out? It was obvious. So obvious that even you saw my intent. Hurray. THAT'S WHAT I INTENDED!

And the video WAS specifically about ISIS recruitment. And, as usual, you totally disregard commenting on the actual video and make stuff up about my being dishonest. And, as usual, you deflect from the video so that you can maintain that what Trump says contributes to ISIS recruitment. The fundamental reason fighters join ISIS is ideological, as the defector in the video points out. If Trump had said nothing, the same would still apply. And if he did say nothing, he would be dishonest. As you say, let's be honest.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:

You are correct regarding the foot soldiers, the grunts. Those at mid-management and above, are often not poor. Bin Laden was from a comfortable family. They're not all illiterate sh*tkickers.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well seeing Isis was around long before Trump.
Correct. Obama thought he could make things better by taking a softer public tone to ISIS, it didn't work. Not by any measure did it work.

They may well use Trump to recruit because it's convenient, but if we elected Hilary, or a moderate Muslim for that matter, they'd use something else. They will always use whatever is available to recruit, unless we become exactly like them.

I would not be critical of Trump, or anyone, just because ISIS is going to hate him. In fact, I'd be skeptical of any politician that ISIS was willing to endorse.

If they despise Trump, that tells me he's on the right side of this particular issue.

The Civil Rights advocates in the 1950s had an expression regarding the Klan - "if they're shooting at you, you must be doing something right". I don't recall worrying about politicians that the Klan really hated. It should be a badge of honor to say "those bad guys really don't like me".