Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Worst 2 Frickin' weeks EVER!

Started on November 14th with the Wife having abdominal pain. X-ray showed inflammation of her Appendix. Doc said "monitor it" She calls on November 18th in bad pain. They tell her to get to the operating wing immediately. Off we go.

Get there and they prep her for surgery...then they say not today. I ask why. They said they wanted to get her on IV antibiotics and keep her overnight. Overnight stay, morphine and antibiotics. November 19th am, in she goes. Surgery went well but kept her another night. I stop in the 20th to see her and see about discharge and I've got a sinus headache and sore throat. Get her hour and home and I go into a MAJOR sinus infection. Antibiotics for me now, a 4 year old son with a bad cold and a 15 month old learning to use her "new legs" running all around. Fun times. Thanks the Lord for my folks who helped out and her Mom for coming down that weekend from Maine to help.

Tuesday, November 25th rolls around and I'm coughing up crap like crazy. Call the doc. I now also have a viral lung infection. Keep on the antibiotics and cancel the Joisey family trip for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving rolls around and daughter now has a temperature and difficulty breathing. Now SHE has an ear infection. SHE goes on antibiotics. Great....everyone is now sick.

Saturday, November 29th...I'm coughing bad and now have sharp chest pains. No one around to watch kids so I take a couple Percs from the wife's stash (She was feeling better) and get through the night.

Sunday am, I'm in agony...call folks on the way home from Joisey and have them respond to the house to take the kids. Off to the ER. Seems I broke a rib coughing and am in AGONY!!

Monday, wife awakes with a sore throat and coughing. Her turn for the bug.

These past 2 weeks absolutely SUCKED!! Tried coming into work tonight but it will probably be my last night....I'm dying in pain. They have me Vicodin but I want to toss my lunch with that stuff....harsh as hell!!

Warning to all...avoid this bug going around...it's NASTY!

Thanks to my folks and her Mom for helping out and to my wife for helping me out even though she should have been resting....she's one hell of a trooper

That is all....

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Squid kids Dad

Hope you all feel better Bob..Hang in there

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Bob, I feel your pain...

I had to rush my wife to the Newport ER Wednesday before Thanksgiving because she was doubled over and screaming in pain after leaving work after an hour.

I thought it was a burst appendix given her pain and condition - wanted to dig the spurs in the old Jeep rocket for a speed run to Prov. or Boston but started to think she wouldn't make it that far. In retrospect wish I'd called the rescue wagon. After a 2 hour wait in the ER - -they admitted her and a CAT scan revealed a large stone lodged against her kidney and a severe kidney infection.

She went into surgery Thanksgiving morning for a stent and got released a few days later, she's home now but not exactly a speedy recovery, she still a pretty sick girl. I've never seen her that sick in the 30 years we've been together, scared me ****less.

Don't currently have health insurance either - I plan on being seated when the hospital bill arrives, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Anyway...best wishes for a speedy recovery to all and if it's any consolation, I sure know the feeling...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Raven

Exclamation

that pain is so intense....

i remember my fingers practically puncturing the leather
on the hospital table pad....i was clenching it so hard in agony ...

Hope she feels better soon....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
They always say if you think its serious to call an ambulance and they get you right in....otherwise a damn long wait in the waiting room! Soory all have been sick Bob! Better times ahead for you folks I hope!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Starfish
Princess of the Rocks

Send a message via AIM to Starfish Send a message via Yahoo to Starfish
Bob Sorry to hear about your family...speedy recovery is wished for all.
I have been sick since Thanksgiving...I pray that whatever this can't breathe for crap virus is that it doesn't end me in the ER like it did to you. My little boys have been sick since Saturday.
Although my rib does hurt when I cough but thats because its a floating one (its not connected to my tissue!) it just pops when I cough my head off. Gross!
My grandmother has ended up in the ER on a bipap breathing machine thanks to whatever this is. I think her visit to my house on Thanksgiving might have moved this virus right along.
It's nasty! Try to stay away at all costs!

Is There Anything Sexier Than A Hot Babe With A Bent Rod? ~RHern
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Plum Crazy

I hope you feel better soon.
It has been through my house already.
It took the better part of 3 weeks.
Probably should have went to the hospital and it wouldn't have lasted so long.

"It's not about the fish, it's about fishing for the fish. The fish is gravy."
Plum Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Er has been packed to over Max this past week. Can only get worse. Bob, wishing your family the best.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Thanks gang! Was feeling better until I had another coughing fit....now I'm back in pain!

Went to ZooMass medical. They heard "Chest Pain" and thought it was heart related. I got in quick but deflated their bubble when I told them it was rib pain. All in all, a 2 hour visit with x-rays was not bad at all.

I'm still in Awe that they do the X-rays digital now. No more films. Been a while since I had an x-ray but it was cool seeing how they did it. Now if I could sneak some plugs in there

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote