Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #31
NIB

Flap would make a nice war rm. general.
Lots of guys did very well with Bob Hahns plugs.There are guys that would kill for some of his bottle plugs I have.
I don't own alot of Lefty's But the ones I thro work very well.I never paid anything close to 45 dollars for em.More like 2 for 45 dollars.I also have lots of Billy MacFaddens Plugs he is a good friend of mine. I have Billy's plugs from when he usta package em with his likeness an the Mc Duck.If i had to chose one topwater swimmer to throw at a good fish no question my large white lefty would be in my top five.Flap I hurd u praise the troublemaker lure up an down these threads a while back.
IMHO a Lefty is much better than them lures.no question its not even close.
Are there better lures I think it gets into circumstances.But to say a lefty or a Hahn is no good is foolish.
To each their own.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #32
Flaptail

Tony, I don't think Lefty's are made with fishing in mind anymore, like I said it's a collector thing now with all the crazy colors and such. I don't own one, never fished with one but what I saw didn't impress me past the paint job and it was obvious it was to hook the fishermen (or more correctly the collector) than the fish. Opinions are like assh*les, everyone's got one. I guess that opinion is mine.
Never seen a beater Lefty, anyone I have seen was pristine and the owner wouldn't think of putting it in the water. 30 bucks x 300 lures at Asbury makes Lefty 9 grand. If you are retired thats yer quota for extraneous cash for the year with social security. Nice quick hit and a sure seller. What could be better?

You fish with them, your probably in a minority these days. Good for you though. I still fish my Capn' Bill's and Creek Chubs, especially my giant jointeds, I got plenty of doubletakes at the Race last fall ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g a mint black giant jointed. Wooden Atoms make great eelskin plugs, I know because I made two last year from some of Ponds original plugs. Capesams would have a coronary.

The only Hahn's that ever impressed me were his surfster knock-offs. I know Numbskull has great affection for a large yellow/brown one he would throw to bass at a Falmouth site to be left un-named.

To bad you couldn't amke it last week. We could have downed my special Kielbasa/ bean concoction. I know you would have enjoyed it!

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #33
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
He would have had fuel for the long ride home!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #34
Flaptail

Talking

Oh yeah, Steve Francescan's Troublemakers are still the finest and closest surfster knock-off I have ever seen. My friend Art Crago can attest to that. I gave him a pogie color one to fish last june. In Quicks' Hole he happened upon two guys live lining pogies and cleaning up on very big fish. Everyone else was s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g wind and watching. Ol' Art just pulled up, shut the boat down, reached down and snapped on the pogie Troublemaker and let it fly so it hit the water with a flop ( hint, could be a lesson here boys) like a pogie hits the water. Two cranks and he is on as well. Couple fish in the mid to high 30 pound class. Thoise plugs work and they work very very well.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #35
vineyardblues

When did Bob Hahn start and stop making plugs?
I know he is still alive and may be starting up again? (rumor)
I also know that the NJ guys have ton's of Hahn plugs that they are sitting on
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #36
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I only have 3 leftys a yellow one ,, a gold one that lefty fishes himself often and a spoonbill I'm told is one of twelve he made .. I think the plug is what it is ,,light tackle ,, schooly plug .don't make it a bad plug .. I like the whole Lefty story . Just a guy that liked to fish .. had a wife and kids and couldn't afford $2 for a plug . I read the thought behind the plug was it would be totally sealed and fish the same thru-out the season. The hooks are the 4x strong eagle claw so when the sweep back and forth they don't tear up themselves..The lips are molded into the plug as clean as a whistle .I like the fact Lefty is a fisherman first . He only makes so many plugs , when the fish are back he stops building until they leave .He could sell as many as he could build . Look at all the Lefty knockoffs and wannabees.I 've swam them off season and they swim very well . Could I fish them at my honey hole .. NO I can't fish a mustad 3x strong anymore .. there to soft, straightening out..opened a split ring . switched to triples ..no I wouldn't think my little lefty would stand up to this..Nice little plug ,, wish I had more,, Lefty sounds like a good guy ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #37
ronkm

compair

John how come yo u didn't show the famous lex plugs?
ronkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #38
NIB

Plugs are for fishing.I have thousands an there might be 5 i don't thro.they are in my livin rm.More sentimental value than anything.I see these guys with these big Lefty collections I know alot of em.Most of em couldn't catch there ass with both hands anyways.So they may as well save em.I have a friend who loves fishin with lefty's they got this great wiggle on top.They shine in a offshore wind which brings the bait in close first light topwater.hard not to like it.we get some better fish here in NJ.In fact the past few yrs NJ has had some of the best concentrations of good fish on our coast.Lots of 30-40 lb fish have fell to his creations.Not to say other lures wouldn't work as well.One of my new favorite sayings is "Its the Indain Not the Arrow".
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #39
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

NIB,

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #40
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

[QUOTE=Jigman][QUOTE=afterhours]

I agree, if the blank is properly sealed before the paint, you are ok. Some of the first plugs I did, I fully encased them in epoxy. Unfortunately, I did not seal them. Once I got a crack, they were junk The other problem that could happen is that once they crack, you allow water in, but maybe not out as easily. Changes the weight of the plug, and the action. That said, I still prefer handcarves or crankbaits that are fully enclosed. Bomber types, for example, seem to work better that way.

IMO, if you use AYC, you don't have to seal and don't have the cracking/swelling/peeling problem. I have never sealed my AYC plugs I turn and have never had a paint problem.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #41
jomlt9@AOL.COM

?

Ronkm did u mean the tony spina plugs sorry I dont have any
jomlt9@AOL.COM is offline   Reply With Quote