Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Meet & Greet Forum

Meet & Greet Forum S-B is an online Community dedicated to angling for Striped Bass. Come in, say hello and tell us a little bit about you. Thanks! Team Striped-Bass.com

Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
KeyWest225
Keywest225

New guy with a question

Hello All:

I'm new to this site and new to boating. I just bought my first boat and launched the maiden voyage in April (burr it was cold). I trailer north to either Cashman Park (Merrimack River) or Gloucester High School ramp or south to Cape Cod. I like to chase stripers but will fish for whatever will keep my sons (ages 10 and 11) interested and not thinking about their Gameboys. I really enjoy the Halibut Point area but my choices for trailering have been either coming out of the Merrimack (very dicey for a new boater) or out of Gloucester Harbor and travelling all the way around the Cape. Can anybody tell me if I launch at Gloucester High School can I take the Annisquam all the way to Wingersheek beach without worrying about the tide? I don't want to get stuck at low tide anywhere. How about a boat ramp in Essex/Ipswich?

Thanks!
KeyWest225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Clueless

If your boat is towable, there's plenty of water all the way up the river to Wingaersheek. Get a chart and have a look, and keep it on board with you.

I'm lucky if I can find the water...
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Clueless

Oh yeah! Welcome to the board.

I'm lucky if I can find the water...
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
gone fishin

I am not a boater but I know the Annisquam is well marked and navigable, Welcome to the site.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
KeyWest225
Keywest225

Thanks for the help. Do you know how long it will take to go from the ramp at the High School to Wingersheek? Is it NO WAKE all the way up the Annisquam?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
gf2020

Yes it is no wake the whole way and it will take about 30-40 minutes.

Is that a Verado on the back of your Key West? Can't say I have seen that combo before, most around here have Hondas or Yamahas. Looks good!

You should consider towing up to Rye, NH too. Plenty of good fishing from Rye Harbor down to the Merrimack and you don't have to deal with the river.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
KeyWest225
Keywest225

GF -
Thanks for the river info. Yes, that's a Verado 225 on my KW. I've made the same observation. Most of the KW boats I see in the Merrimack have Hondas. As for towing up to Rye, I live in Stow which is a solid hour south of NBPort and Gloucester but I will look into it. Thanks again.