Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Tragic for those officers and their families. Didn't the guy kill his girlfriend first. Think he might have some issues?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yes, he had issues. Lots of people have issues. That's precisely why it's important that people with big platforms, don't incite violence, because there is a very small number of people out there who are incited by that.

How do you not see that, exactly?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Yes, he had issues. Lots of people have issues. That's precisely why it's important that people with big platforms, don't incite violence, because there is a very small number of people out there who are incited by that.

How do you not see that, exactly?
Who was inciting violence? Protests in NY and other cities have been peaceful for the most part aside from the Ferguson riots. I don't see an issue with a politician supporting First Amendment rights.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Who was inciting violence? Protests in NY and other cities have been peaceful for the most part aside from the Ferguson riots. I don't see an issue with a politician supporting First Amendment rights.
They have been hate filled towards the police . They have spit , yelled in the face of , challenged and pushed the police to the brink .
I'm amazed at the restraint these officers have shown .
I would make a lousy police officer.
This administration has fanned the flames. Respect is a two way street .

Old 12-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
They have been hate filled towards the police . They have spit , yelled in the face of , challenged and pushed the police to the brink .
I'm amazed at the restraint these officers have shown .
I would make a lousy police officer.
This administration has fanned the flames. Respect is a two way street . Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
And you have also have police infringing on the right of the people to peacefully protest. Cuts both ways but I think most cops behave well and most protests are peaceful.

Was listing to Mayor Nutter the other day and he said in Philly the police read the First Amendment as a group before they go out to monitor the protesters. Pretty interesting.

Ultimately it comes down to your belief that racial issues do exist. I don't think recognizing this is necessarily fanning the flames.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
buckman

Quote:
And you have also have police infringing on the right of the people to peacefully protest. Cuts both ways but I think most cops behave well and most protests are peaceful.

Was listing to Mayor Nutter the other day and he said in Philly the police read the First Amendment as a group before they go out to monitor the protesters. Pretty interesting.

Ultimately it comes down to your belief that racial issues do exist. I don't think recognizing this is necessarily fanning the flames.
I see "peaceful protest " infringing on everybody's rights lately . Give me one example of police infringing on a " peaceful protest " .
I see a one sided recognition of racial issues and a total lack of self respect . Recognize the problem and you will find the solution . The tension is from within .
Old 12-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
There were rallies in NYC where the peaceful protesters were chanting for dead cops. Hundreds of people.

Spence, I agree that the majority of people were peaceful. I never said there were zero peaceful protesters. What I'm saying is, the number of violent sociopaths out there is also greater than zero. What happened in Ferguson, afetr what happened with the Rodney King verdict, these things tell us with zero ambiguity, that some people can be incited to violence.

Sharpton doesn't have to ask for his followers to "go out and kill cops". It's enough, when he says that black lives don't matter to white cops, and that white cops are in the habit of executing innocent black children. We know, we know for a fact, that alone wil incite some to violence.

The evidence of the potential danger, is there. As usual, your side can't process the empirical evidence, because it doesn't support "the narrative".
Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
There were rallies in NYC where the peaceful protesters were chanting for dead cops. Hundreds of people.

Spence, I agree that the majority of people were peaceful. I never said there were zero peaceful protesters. What I'm saying is, the number of violent sociopaths out there is also greater than zero. What happened in Ferguson, afetr what happened with the Rodney King verdict, these things tell us with zero ambiguity, that some people can be incited to violence.

Sharpton doesn't have to ask for his followers to "go out and kill cops". It's enough, when he says that black lives don't matter to white cops, and that white cops are in the habit of executing innocent black children. We know, we know for a fact, that alone wil incite some to violence.

The evidence of the potential danger, is there. As usual, your side can't process the empirical evidence, because it doesn't support "the narrative".
I saw a video with a few dozen chanting about killing cops, it certainly crosses the line and people inciting that kind of hate speech should be prosecuted if possible.

The more that comes out about the shooter though you see how the guy had serious issues, he was going to crack sooner or later.

Race is still a pretty contentious issue and there are plenty of people on all sides fanning the flames.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
I saw a video with a few dozen chanting about killing cops, it certainly crosses the line and people inciting that kind of hate speech should be prosecuted if possible.

The more that comes out about the shooter though you see how the guy had serious issues, he was going to crack sooner or later.

Race is still a pretty contentious issue and there are plenty of people on all sides fanning the flames.
and I saw a lot of high-level, respected politicians saying "black lives matter", a not-so-subtle insinuation that according to white cops, black lives don't matter. I didn't hear too many liberal stating the obvious truth, which is that the facts don't back up their claims that cops are a bunch of executioners.

"Race is still a pretty contentious issue and there are plenty of people on all sides fanning the flames"

Do you honestly believe that the left isn't more racially divisive than the right? First, the right supports policies that pay no attention whatsoever to the color of one's skin - how that's racist, is beyond me. Second, when the left talks about race, it's almost always in the context of blacks being victims of whitey. Obama recently said that Republicans "gotta stop just hating all the time". When was the last time that a President was that dismissive about everyone who didn't vote for him? How do you give him a pass on that statement? John McCain and Mitt Romney are hate-mongers?

Spence, all you do is spin, there's almost zero intellectual honesty...
Old 12-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Piscator

Quote:
Really? San Francisco on Black Friday...Cops shouldn't have to put up with this BS...

http://vimeo.com/113145046

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Really? San Francisco on Black Friday...Cops shouldn't have to put up with this BS...

I read about that. Multiple police assaults, stabbing, gunshot wounds, bonfires in the streets...

Wait, that was after the Giants won the World Series!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Piscator

Quote:
I read about that. Multiple police assaults, stabbing, gunshot wounds, bonfires in the streets...

Wait, that was after the Giants won the World Series!
Cute but don't deflect Spence.....this video was on Black Friday....protests and violence agaist police.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Cute but don't deflect Spence.....this video was on Black Friday....protests and violence agaist police.
San Fran...

I believe this was mostly peaceful but had an element create some issues that in both cases spiraled. Both were nearly in the same area.

The violence isn't right certainly, but this is what often happens when you get a spontaneous crowd. Still, the vast majority of protesters nationwide appear to have been civil.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
San Fran...

The violence isn't right certainly, but this is what often happens when you get a spontaneous crowd.
How on earth do "you get a spontaneous crowd"? "Spontaneous" suggests arising from its own motivation, not connected with preceding events or rhetoric. You seem to like this "spontaneous crowd" thing as an explanation to absolve those who could have prevented it, as in the Benghazi "spontaneous" eruption that killed our folks.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
buckman

[QUOTE=spence;1059932

The violence isn't right certainly, but this is what often happens when you get a spontaneous
crowd.
[/QUOTE]

If you're going to quote Susan Rice at least give her the credit
Old 12-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

You sure that wasn't Oakland....I would have though San Fran would look more like this

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You sure that wasn't Oakland....I would have though San Fran would look more like this

Ha ha...good point...you are correct, thanks for the clarification!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #17
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:

Peaceful ???