Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Windows 7 issue

New HP laptop, Windows 7 OS, Firefox browser.
Issue is with playing videos. They hesitate, and I get the "buffering" thing. Stop, goes for 5 seconds, stops, goes anther five seconds.....sux.
Just updated latest Flash version, as it came up in a prompt... What's going on??????

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Either 'net feed rate or RAM, just a thought?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

What should I try to do with said thoughts?????

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

What HP? I just fired up a new HP mini210 notebook. Upgraded to 2G ram. I just tried Comcast's Fancast with real video streaming of movies and didn't notice any pauses.

You rapidly expose the limits of my advice with trouble shooting, not really a computer "expert" but more of a hacker...

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
What should I try to do with said thoughts?????
Shut down all other programs you have running? Are you wireless or hard connect to the 'net? If wireless can you connect direct?

Try IE vs. Firefox? I'm not going to do Firefox on the notebook but FF is my standard browser on the desktop.

I bought the upgrade from Win7 trial (or whatever) to Home Premium which enabled some really simple stuff you would have thunk was in the trial verson....got to pay Bill.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Raven

Arrow what's running?

a terrific FREE program that shows you exactly how much memory is actually being used....and it allows you to terminate anything you don't need to have running... like even screen savers are constantly running...(On or not) or virus programs... ect...so you either have some memory hogs.....
or insufficient memory or the speed your being promised isn't being delivered

it's like a wicked expanded version of task manager
whatsrunning.com

also do a speed check
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Maybe you've lost your SPOOKS?

LONDON — Scientists working with a feature of light described by Albert Einstein as "spooky" have managed to link, or entangle, up to five particles in an advance that may lead to better measuring instruments and faster computers.

Israeli researchers said Thursday their technique could be scaled up to create even larger quantum entanglements, in which light particles, or photons, exist in two possible states simultaneously.

The notion that photons can be connected in such a way that changing the state of one instantly affects another, even when they are miles apart, alarmed Einstein, who called it "spooky action at a distance."

But quantum physicists -- who study the universe at the ultra-small level of atoms, photons and other particles -- have already put it to work to improve data encryption and, they hope, to someday supercharge computers.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Raven

my protons mated with some freakin Neutron
then they started messing around with this new
chick...in town
then everything got complicated and all entangled
what a mess... everyone was Jealous of the other dude
fights broke out ...the cops came....
and there was an electron riot after wards
they had to use tear gas it got so bad.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Just imagine if E ever gets to with mc2!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
mtejo
Bazinga

Does the issue happen with Internet Explorer?
mtejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Slow internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
New HP laptop, Windows 7 OS, Firefox browser.
Issue is with playing videos. They hesitate, and I get the "buffering" thing. Stop, goes for 5 seconds, stops, goes anther five seconds.....sux.
Just updated latest Flash version, as it came up in a prompt... What's going on??????
I am expiriencing exactly the same thing right now on a PC that I know works well on a good internet feed. I'm using AirTran gogo service @35,000ft over Nebraska! So I would say with near certainty that the internet feed is your problem. I am using IE.