Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 04-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

Guides and spacing on a 1201M

What would be the guide spacing and suggested size on a 1201 M with 5 guides and a tip? I'm considering using a large stainless (75) collector guide and second guide to match up to the large spool on my 706.
In The Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I use a Fuji Hardaloy (BSVLG?) 50 mm on my 1M, using a VS 250, whose spool is the same size as a 706. It's as big as you need. You probably could us a 40 hi-frame but I'll leave that for others.

Stay away from the wire Perfections---they're not stainless, just chrome plated wire and they'll pit within two seasons--that is, if the frame welds don't give out first. Mildrums, the other (and better) maker of wire guides, no longer exist.

Pac Bay may still make a 70 mm Hialoy, but they're overly heavy and I really don't see the need for one on a 10' 1M. The 50 is as big as you'd ever need.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
SeaWolf

actually, perfection wire are the best ones made. you will never have the chrome chip as they are a hardened chrome finish, unlike the old mildrums which were think wire and heavy chome that did chip often. you might have and probably will have the middle brace split the weld before anything. the only problem w/ wire guides is that the ring is close to the blank and you proably have line slap. i have a couple wire guided rods and built many for a few of my customers who are hard on their equipment. no problems.

but, that being said, i would suggest a 50mm fuji catch guide w/ that reel and cermincs all the way thru. use 6 guides + a tip and do a stress test to see where the guides go.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I haven't had much luck with Perfections. I had two old glass Lamis re-wrapped not that long ago, and asked for Perfections for the "retro look". They're pitted after not all that much use.

Are there Perfection knock-offs floating around? Or, maybe "seconds"?
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
SeaWolf

could be, mike. the perfections i use are a heavier wire than the old mildrums. they are not plated in the same fashion as the mildrums were either. you will never chip the chrome on them. never had any issues w/ pits either. just an occasional brace separates from the frame or ring. i look at it that it happens about as often as a ceramic ring cracks from abuse or neglect. i have perf wire guide on my of my "retro" glass surf rods and i abuse that rod to death in the fall. it falls, bangs against rocks, used as a cane, etc. for the first time last year i had to replace the catch guide as the middle brace separated from the ring. andn, that was 7 years of fishing. not bad. no rust, bent rings or chipped chrome. on that rod, i dont care about line slap or any of the other reasons we use ceramics. it's retro and i cast as far or farther than otheres at times. catches me just as many fish too. i would say that the major disadvantage of wire are the forces applied to the guide and braces when it supports line going thru it under stress. you only have 3 contact points holding that ring versus a more solid support of the fuji svlg-type frame. fuji frames are one-piece. occasionally, you'll have a ring pop out of the frame, but that's rare.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

If I stay with all Fuji and start with a 50, what size guides and distances would you recommend. I know many builders suggest six guides plus tip but I'm not big on the idea of so many guides. Does it really make a difference using six guides plus a tip vs. five guides plus a tip?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Saltheart

50 , 40 , 30 , 20 , 16 and a 16 tip. I wold use all BSVLG and a PST tip. Put the 50 about 36 inches from the reel face, put the 16 about 6.5 inches from the tip. Space the rest increasing the distance between each by about an inch or so for a progression that looks smaooth when stress tested. You can also move them around to optimize if you do a stress test.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

GUIDES

SALTHEART,
THE BSVLG DOUBLE FOOT GUIDES HAVE THE LIGHT PURPLE HARDALLOY ON THE INSIDE OF THE BLACK METAL FRAMES?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
Crow

Saltheart is there any particular reason you don't use single foot BLVLG for the 30-20-16? I find it lessens the weight a tiny bit which seems to help in recovery and allows for a smoother flex thru the tip section. I've used them for years in most of my rods and have been very satisfied. Not on the gatherer guides just the first 3 down from the tip. And they are surprisingly tough.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

Saltheart, what would be your preference on the number of guides you'd use on this rod and why?