Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
jfisher

adding wieght to the butt

How do you add wieght to the butt to improve balance. I would like to remove it in the future if i need to change reels etc.
thx again
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:48 AM   #2
spence

On one of my spinners I took some lead flashing, rolled it up tight and secured it with a good dab of silicone. You could use any lead, shot, sinkers etc...

I've love to have a heavy spinner that isn't tip heavy without adding weight, is this even really possible? It would seem the butt end of the handle would have to be way to long.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
jfisher

thank you spence. I have a 10' ocean master that balanes with a live liner 5600l. The butt is very long on it. Too long for me.
so with the sinkers, shot etc, would you just glue it to the inside of the butt cap?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
spence

On mine I cut the old butt cap off, glued the lead inside the end and put a new cap on. They only cost a few bucks...

-spence
Old 07-30-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
Fishpart
Keep The Change

If it wouldn't make it too fat you could put on a second layer of cork tape.......

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
spence

I believe they even make a thin lead you can wrap under the cork. I would think just sticking some in the butt would be easier on an existing rod, you'd add less overall weight as well.

Add as little as you can get away with. Light is good.

-spence
Old 07-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #7
jfisher

Thank you again guys
The rod does not exist yet, i'm going to build it. If I glued the lead to the blank under the butt cap, would there be any way to remove it in the future. Perhaps the adhesive used for tip tops and then heat it to remove the blank, would that harm the blank.
I am going to be using a plate seat and will move it futher up the rod in the future ( im only 17 and have a couple inches left in me) I'm assuming that by moving the reel foward towards the tip in the future that i would need less wieght in the butt, so i will need something that can be removed later.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
spence

I wouldn't use hot glue, you shouldn't need much to hold it in.

If you're building the rod from scratch I'd talk to an experience builder about how to balance it rather than just add more weight.

-spence
Old 07-30-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Saltheart

You are going to be amazed at how much lead it takes to balance that rod. Surprisingly , just putting two fingers in front of the reel stem instead of one while holding it moves the balce point forward just about 1 inch and that will do more than about 5 OZ of lead.

i don't recommend weighting the butt to balance a rod.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
jfisher

ok then salt, what do you suggest I do to balance the rod.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
spence

He's suggesting nothing

I added 2 ounces in the but of my spinner and it's still tip heavy. I have to do as saltheart says and hold the reel differently.

-spence
Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #12
Saltheart

Exactly!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:06 PM   #13
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

what saltheart said. try it, it works!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #14
Nebe

You could also use a heavier reel....
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #15
jfisher

alrighty folks,
I'll try it, my tests were with the reel being held with two fingers above the stem, two below. I tried three above one below and found this uncomfortable. I found four fingers above the stem with the pinky against the stem to be comfortable. So I will do this and if needed I'll move up the reel seat. its a plate so I play around with it.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #16
spence

Most builders I've spoken with don't like to add weight, although few will say don't do it if it feels more comfortable. I've only weighted one of my rods and it doesn't make it perfect.

I'd build things how you think they should be done, then only if necessary ad a little weight. You only have a little freedom with the plate seat before you're making the butt end of the handle too long.

-spence
Old 07-31-2004, 08:17 PM   #17
Crow

I would really stay away from lead up the butt.
If the rod is still unbuilt, why not position the reel seat so that the length of the butt feels comfortable and puts the reel stem where you want it?
I have found a roll of electrical tape is a great aide when laying out a rod. Tape on the reel and guides, move them till it all works. Every blank is unique and should be built that way, not just to someone else's formula. Whether the rod is held between your legs or by one hand also makes a big difference. Whether its balanced or not an extra 4-6oz of lead is still just dead weight to hold. Take your time, think it through and you will be much happier in the end.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:29 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally posted by Crow
[B]I would really stay away from lead up the butt.
If the rod is still unbuilt, why not position the reel seat so that the length of the butt feels comfortable and puts the reel stem where you want it?
Shouldn't the length of the butt be dependent on you and not the rod/reel?

This is what I've assumed...I'd be interested to know what others think here.

-spence
Old 08-01-2004, 09:46 AM   #19
jfisher

I found a facotry rod that is built on the blank that I have. The rod has 7 guides includung the tip. 50,40,30,25...... Perhaps I could remove one or two of these guides to make it a bit less tip heavy. Also d oI really need a 50 collector guide. I'm using a live liner 5600l. Would removing the 50 and starting with 40 make that much of a difference or should I just leave the guides as the factory rod.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #20
spence

I'd post a description of what you are trying to accomplish and one of the builders can recommend the guide placement and size.

-spence