Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

S-B Charity Catch & Release Tourney - For Veterans with TBI/PTSD/RedSox Foundation

S-B 2011 Week Long (and then some) Charity Catch & Release Tourney

Red Sox Foundation: Run to Home Base

Charity: Run To Home Base runtohomebase.org sponsored by the Red Sox Foundation and Mass General Hospital. Our community is putting together this striped bass fishing derby to help give back to the soldiers who have given us the freedom to pursue this hobby.
100% of all entry fees will go directly to The Home base program, helping our troops suffering from traumatic brain injuries and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Tourney Site: FishForSoldiers.com (Greg and I hammered this out last week )

Goal:

Our goal is to have a fun charity tournament benefiting and honoring our service veterans returning home from Iraq & Afghanistan. Greg Walsh, with his own 2 year tour of Iraq under his belt, will run a 9K race, ending at home plate on Fenway Park, with the proceeds going to this cause.

This fundraiser is supported by the Red Sox Foundation, Mass General Hospital, and many other teams running and fundraising for this cause.

As this is a charity tourney to support our veterans and NOT a fish size or number tourney, the goal is purely to raise some funds to support our veterans. Money raised in this will go to Greg’s Team page.

Want to help donate but can’t fish? Than just click on the PayPal Donate, or send in a check to Greg.

Update: Donation checks / PayPal.

For PayPal, you can PayPal $20 to stuff@linesiders.com (or click on PayPal link here) and I will take all the money after PayPal fees and get a check to Greg.

Or, you can send a check with this form: and mail form TO GREG by April 30th with your check made out to Red Sox Foundation / Run To Home Base and he will send it in to ensure Tourney & Fundraising Team credit.

Rules:

Honor System! We are raising money for people who live and die by a code of honor. Please use honesty.

Catch and Release Only!!

Where can you fish: Anywhere wild striped bass are caught in the Northeast. Any time, any where.

Who Can Fish: Everyone – Don’t need to be a S-B member – invite your friends as this is a great cause. Other sites (where allowed by that site) invite them too.

Single Angler: Have your camera ready – no surprise, the object here is a quick C&R so the camera should be ready to go.

Teams: When fishing with others, one person NOT catching the fish records the fish for the person catching the fish. 1 Fish, 1 Point. The object is a quick turnaround getting the fish back in the water. For a rare moment in your life, size doesn’t matter .

Points will increase chance for prize but do not guarantee prize.

Kids: Under 18 are free when fishing with an adult partner. Kids will have a chance for prizes as well.

We will have a daily tally and a final tally online at FishForSoldiers.com and/or S-B. Best Kid Photo won’t hurt

State whether fish is Shore, Boat, or Yak.

Favoring a quick release on fish, we will forgo the length measurements.

Honor System!!!!

Prizes
Actual Prizes To Be Determined – we will have some prizes for different categories, such as most fish caught, most days where a fish is caught, best junior angler C&R pic, and smallest fish PHOTO – We’re looking to have some fun here while supporting a great cause.

Prizes will consist of lures & stuff (sponsor donations appreciated ) but no BIG prizes or trophies as that is not what our tourney is about.

Smallest Fish: As we are skipping measurements, the smallest fish will be photographed where a poll will place the top smallest fish contenders for a vote to determine who is the Schoolie Whisperer.

Duration:
3pm Friday April 29th until 9am Sunday May 8th. Final tally due from all anglers noon Sunday, May 8th.

LogSheet:

I will place a Log Sheet to print and fill out over the next few days that you can download and print.

Payment:

Checks: Made out to Red Sox Foundation – 100% proceeds go to foundation

PayPal: Sent to me at S-B and 100% after PayPal fee will go to a check made out to the RSF.

All monies raised will go to the Charity, in the Greg Walsh fundraiser page. Greg and I reserve the right to make the final call on any questions and any rule changes if needed.

Thanks!

Greg Walsh & John Redmond

Last edited by JohnR; 04-23-2011 at 09:02 AM..

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Honor System! We are raising money for people who live and die by a code of honor. Please use honesty.
That is the Best Rule I've ever seen...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I'm in. Shore/surf

Great cause John!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
That is the Best Rule I've ever seen...

That was Greg's

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
fishbones

Great job on this, Greg and John. I'm in. This is a great cause and fishing sure beats the heck out of running for me.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
eelskimmer

I'm in for donation. Will be out of
town for that whole week but will
send check. Least I can do for our
wounded boys. Thanks for this
bossman!!!
eelskimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Clammer

I,m in for the cause :

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I'm in.....

Is the fee on the other web site or is it a donation thing.

See if I can dig out one of m y plugs as well.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
JohnR

Thanks Frank!

Still working on the direct info for checks / PayPal but the fee is $20 with all $20 when check and $20 less PayPal feels when PayPal (so check is actually preferred).

I have the address for that but we are trying to determine to use an existing donation form or not (paperwork )

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Would you like some stuff for prizes John
UserRemoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
zimmy

I'm in. This is going to impact my hunt for morels... but it will be worth it

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
tysdad115

Im in. Shore. Tylers in too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Hi everyone,
First and foremost I want to give a big thank you to John. This wouldnt be possible without him. He did all the hard work setting up the site and everything.

Next I want to say thank you to everyone who has already or will participate. As everyone knows this is a cause that means alot to me. It really brings a smile to my face to see all the support.

Thank you everyone!
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

i'm in
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
Rob Rockcrawler

Im in, good fun for a good cause.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #16
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I'll play
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #17
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

John, you know damn well I'm in. Really glad to see you followed the Thundermist Club rule of 1 fish = 1 point. That always worked for us.

I donated using paypal and added $2 to cover the PP charge. I would suggest that any of you guys who use PP add $2 so the cause gets the full $20.

Last edited by piemma; 04-23-2011 at 06:57 AM..

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
basswipe

Most certainly in!

Like what Piemma did adding the $2 to cover the PP fee.Only question what's your address JohnR to send my fee to?
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #19
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

count me in to donate some plugs.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
JohnR

Update: Donation checks / PayPal.

For PayPal, you can PayPal $20 to stuff@linesiders.com (or click on PayPal link here) and I will take all the money after PayPal fees and get a check to Greg.

Or, you can send a check with this form: and mail form TO GREG by April 30th with your check made out to Red Sox Foundation / Run To Home Base and he will send it in to ensure Tourney & Fundraising Team credit.

Thanks guys! Yes, great cause. This is what Greg and I had in mind a few weeks ago when we discussed the C&R tourney.

Don & Scott, yes, donations would be great !

Thanks

Last edited by JohnR; 04-23-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
fishbones

John, I just downloaded the form to send in a check. It has Greg's name on it as participant, but the address on the form isn't the one listed on the link above. Checks should be sent to the Rockland address, not the Yawkey way one, right? Just want to make sure that the from goes to the right place.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
John, I just downloaded the form to send in a check. It has Greg's name on it as participant, but the address on the form isn't the one listed on the link above. Checks should be sent to the Rockland address, not the Yawkey way one, right? Just want to make sure that the from goes to the right place.

Yes, I guess I'll need to bolditalicizeinred so people like you will RTFM - Yes - please send to Greg as listed on the site. This way we can track for the Tourney on who is in

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

John where do you want them sent to you or Greg?
UserRemoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #24
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Here's what I did:
Follow this link: Run To Home Base
When you get to the site, click the SB.Com logo and it will bring you to the donation page. real simple. You also will get a receipt via email or you can print one there for tax purposes.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Here's what I did:
When you get to the site, click the SB.Com logo and it will bring you to the donation page. real simple. You also will get a receipt via email or you can print one there for tax purposes.
Thanks!

Donation made.Can't wait to start fishing!

PS sent $22 so the full $20 goes to the foundation...excellent suggestion piemma!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
JohnR

PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL OR CHECK

PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL OR CHECK

For PayPal, you can PayPal $20 to stuff@linesiders.com (or click on PayPal link here) and I will take all the money after PayPal fees and get a check to Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Here's what I did:
Scott - I'll let you know when we figure that out - thanks!

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #27
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Fishbones,
The reason we are doing this way is because sometimes the charity is a little slow in processing checks. Once I get the check I am going to pass your info along to John and you'll be in the tournament. Then I'll mail the check and your form to the charity. That way you arent waiting to get into the tournament. And that way I know that that donation was for the tournament. I am doing alot of fundraising and this also simplifies it so I know that that check was to enter that person in the tournament.
Hope it didnt cause any confusion. Im hoping to simplify it.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Fishbones,
The reason we are doing this way is because sometimes the charity is a little slow in processing checks. Once I get the check I am going to pass your info along to John and you'll be in the tournament. Then I'll mail the check and your form to the charity. That way you arent waiting to get into the tournament. And that way I know that that donation was for the tournament. I am doing alot of fundraising and this also simplifies it so I know that that check was to enter that person in the tournament.
Hope it didnt cause any confusion. Im hoping to simplify it.
Everything's clear. The right addy was right on the page that linked to the form. There are 2 other Boston addy's on the form itself. I just wanted to confirm because I'm printing out a form for a friend who wants to do the tourney and I wanted to make sure that I give him the right address to send it to. Kudos to you, Greg. It's a great thing your doing here!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #29
Notfishinenuf

Thumbs up

I am in! I won't be able to fish much as it is gonna be a very hectic week but it is for a good cause. Will snail mail the check on Mon.

Vic
Notfishinenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #30
JohnR

I'd like to see people shake the tree on this one - tell other friends and other sites - you can link to the FishForSoldiers.com for other sites so they don't get bleeped about it. The main goal is to support a worthy cause.

Thanks!

Apocalypse is Coming: