Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Chit show again?

I am a little slow... but hearing some sad stories about our fishery and how some are exploiting it in an area that saw the same last year. I hope anyone who sees this behavior says something, calls the EPOs, etc. I would consider participating in good fishing, but have no desire to be involved in such a chit show....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #2
JFigliuolo

Not surprised... not one bit.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I can say the EPO has been out in full force the last few days and pretty muck all season.

Was talking to one of the officers today and they have been targeting the known tides and have stepped up enforcement

They were checking people’s coolers and truck beds, licenses etc

And getting lots of calls from other fishermen/bikers/joggers

Is the only place I’ve ever been asked for my license

I’ve been asked 3 times already this season and those were week days too, so does seem like they’re stepping up
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:55 AM   #4
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Yes, I've heard from a couple of friends that the same crap that happened last year, at the Canal, is going on again this year. %^^(*&^% JERKS!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
vineyardblues

Watched the show the other day , opening comm day. Lol. On the canal. Noticed lots of fish walked back to trucks. No license checking on opening day ? Canal is a big ditch. Maybe at the other end ? Lol
And yes, it was very very dumb fishing. They really need to improve the thought process with letting guys fish the canal. Every other day during the dumb fish internet hero pictures 😘
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
wdmso

could they make the canal a catch and release on zone until the quota is filled ? if they are commercial guys they are limited to 2 fish a day from shore (multiple trip to the truck sound like boat guys )and with only 10% of the quota filled so far the price is high and greeds kicking in

still say they should impose a slot size system for bass

internet hero pictures dont mind them if there catch and release photos.. still trying for my 50LB hero photo
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
could they make the canal a catch and release on zone until the quota is filled ? if they are commercial guys they are limited to 2 fish a day from shore (multiple trip to the truck sound like boat guys )and with only 10% of the quota filled so far the price is high and greeds kicking in

still say they should impose a slot size system for bass

internet hero pictures dont mind them if there catch and release photos.. still trying for my 50LB hero photo

Good question. Would suck for the real R&R comm guy

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Money certainly brings out the best in us !
Or Facebook ego stroking.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Good question. Would suck for the real R&R comm guy

I agree,,, imagine if rod and reel guess had a 15 fish limit ... what that place would look like
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
bart
Red Eye Jedi

The recs are far worse than the comm guys, IMO. One fish a day everyday, plus time out of water for that perfect pic equals dead fish.

People keep saying it will get better when the fishing becomes “normal” again. They were saying that last year. And years prior. It’s been a steady build up over the last 6 years to this explosion/implosion, anomaly, whatever you want to call it. You could see the progression/regression unfolding. But it’s just going to get worse until it bottoms out because the fish have no reason to leave. Where else do you have the confluence of two major bays exchanging cold and warm water, an endless supply of various big baits, and ample access? Unfortunately, I suspect the horror stories will continue.
bart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Is it a chitshow again? I had not noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I agree,,, imagine if rod and reel guess had a 15 fish limit ... what that place would look like
I'd rather not imagine that, besides if that were still the case imagine all the pilgrims,yahoos,greenhorns or whatever actually getting that many 34" plus fish and how they would be treated in this warm weather. End buyer beware. It's not like ice and coolers are a priority when money is involved, some will just stack em and whack em.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Ahhh.....its the kayak life for me! Canal bike is rusting away in the yard and my surf gear has not yet seen the light of day this season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0614.jpg (164.1 KB, 7 views)

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Gamefish please.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #14
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Gamefish please.
Pretty please....

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Gamefish please.
It will never happen. Why? Because there are so many poachers with their fingers in fisheries management that they would never make it happen.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #16
Clammer

&&&&&&&&&&&&& WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN THE [FISHERMEN] CHARTER CAPTAINS , ETC ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO FISH IN THE EEZ ZONE

Last edited by Clammer; 07-15-2018 at 06:26 AM..

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #17
clambo

chit show

It is the same for most crimes! The penalties for getting caught are just the cost of doing business! How about we get serious with these toons! How about a $2500.00 fine and license loss for one year first offence. Second offence $5000.00 fine, loss of vehicle, loss of license for 5 years!I would hope this solution would prohibit anyone from doing these crimes.
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambo View Post
It is the same for most crimes! The penalties for getting caught are just the cost of doing business! How about we get serious with these toons! How about a $2500.00 fine and license loss for one year first offence. Second offence $5000.00 fine, loss of vehicle, loss of license for 5 years!I would hope this solution would prohibit anyone from doing these crimes.
There is a perfect starting point!
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #19
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Talking

It seemed sllow when I got out today, I had 1 fish but dont care, seen a few people out fishing and had there wife with them bottom fishing.
just a nice day. talked to a few people but other than that I fished all week and had a blast. Master wuz here.

Anyway I didnt see anyone keeping midgets today but have seen some ugly last year.
No matter what people are going to bitch, Funny how the sands was a #^&#^&#^&#^& show years back. now its dead and I like it , ya smaller fish and had fun who cares.
another thing is the working guy goes fishing and has his ugly stick and penn reel, yet he is made of fun by the pro's who get all pissed off the guy caught a fish.
take pic let it go,, keep it eat it, its your right
and please toss fish 6 feet in the air to let it go not 4, thanks

I had a ball all week and talk to all.

I really aint been on the forums but seems like a #^&#^&#^&#^& show with trolls some where else
Ya that place is a zoo, owell. sands canal sands canal, who cares dont keepem anyway

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #20
denis

Not only the canal,BI same thing,all big fish.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #21
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
Not only the canal,BI same thing,all big fish.
Sold in MA ?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #22
angler229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Sold in MA ?
Most definitely happening...
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #23
DZ

I fished the canal once - 35 years or so ago. As much as I like to catch striped bass the picture that is painted doesn't agree with me. I'll gladly take my stretch of shoreline with an occasional hook-up in relative obscurity.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #24
Steve K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I fished the canal once - 35 years or so ago. As much as I like to catch striped bass the picture that is painted doesn't agree with me. I'll gladly take my stretch of shoreline with an occasional hook-up in relative obscurity.
Amen to that
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Even when I actually fished I never went to the canal a single time given the idiocy I read about here.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #26
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

It’s like when rioters get in a looting frenzy.
Bloodlust keep em all thinking.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #27
fishbones

I went yesterday not believing it would be that bad. Set up at a spot with plenty of room on either side at about 3:15am. Within a half an hour I had a group of guys on my left and one of them had a roller tip rod. Then within minutes of that, the methadone clinic weekly field trip arrived and set up within 20 feet of me on my right. The guy to my right couldn’t cast more than 10 feet out and still managed somehow cross my line. I explained to him to cast upcurrent and it wouldn’t happen. Then a guy 3 people down on my left crossed my line. His buddy with the roller tip cleared it and apologized. Then the fish showed up and I caught a few and a couple other guys in the area got a couple. The guys on either side of me couldn’t cast far enough to reach them. As frustrating as the crowds are, I had a good morning and was home in time to make breakfast for the wife and kid. That being said, that’s the last weekend morning I’ll fish there. I’ll go back to weeknights when it’s late and everyone else is in bed.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #28
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
It seemed sllow when I got out today, I had 1 fish but dont care, seen a few people out fishing and had there wife with them bottom fishing.
just a nice day. talked to a few people but other than that I fished all week and had a blast. Master wuz here.

Anyway I didnt see anyone keeping midgets today but have seen some ugly last year.
No matter what people are going to bitch, Funny how the sands was a #^&#^&#^&#^& show years back. now its dead and I like it , ya smaller fish and had fun who cares.
another thing is the working guy goes fishing and has his ugly stick and penn reel, yet he is made of fun by the pro's who get all pissed off the guy caught a fish.
take pic let it go,, keep it eat it, its your right
and please toss fish 6 feet in the air to let it go not 4, thanks

I had a ball all week and talk to all.

I really aint been on the forums but seems like a #^&#^&#^&#^& show with trolls some where else
Ya that place is a zoo, owell. sands canal sands canal, who cares dont keepem anyway
I don't make fun of anyone. They use what they can afford. I don't care what they keep as long as it's legal. I don't fault the masses for going. It use to be hard to catch a 30# fish. (I won the Thundermist Striper Club trophy in 96 with a 32# fish).
The only problem I have is with the internet hero's posting pics and reports of their kill. None of these guys practice C&R and they will live to regret it. I just don't think you can kill 100,000 breeders every year and expect the stocks to stay the same. JMO

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #29
bobber

its painful to watch the gluttony in action. I especially like the fish-in-basket parade up and down the service road a few times in 80 degree weather
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #30
MakoMike

It strikes me that there is more than a little bit of Jealousy behind all this negativity?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote