Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Live bait when the good stuff isn't around?

Live bait options for the boat challenged? In a kayak, it's no so easy to grab live bait and as most here know, love my plastic So the plan was to try out front of white horse beach a short drive for me, as my son didn't want to drive to Westport; which was my preference. Of course his phone died and he didn't pick up when I called him at 4:45 to ask where are you. So I launch solo, assuming he's overslept

Anyway, long story short after picking up a bunch of schoolies and one just shy of legal, I thought i'd drag some small plastic around the deeper bolders to see if any tog or sea bass might be around and all I caught were cunners. Anyone ever used these for live lining? If they were small scup I'd know exactly what to do with them, back when you could legally fish one that size, but I've never tried a cunner or choogie. The reason I ask is mid morning after the bite shut down, I see lots of cruising bass, mostly smaller schoolies but I had to think some of the larger just legals must be in the mix and due to the sun, gin clear water, I was getting lots of follows on plastic but only a few takers. I was curious if one of these dragged around might generate some interest.

If so do they dig like a mackerel might, or easily troll just below the surface like a small bunker, or would you fish under a float with stop?
What are your live bait oddities and how do you fish them?
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
niko

ive used them. they work. they don't troll very well or hold up well in a livewell. as soon as you catch one i'd put it on a hook and fish it . I've 3 wayed them but I don't see why they wouldn't work under a float

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
Rob Rockcrawler

I have 3-wayed them in LIS a few times. They don’t work nearly as well as scup but they do catch.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote