Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
DZ

Savannah Georgia

Heading to Savannah in May - my wife has a conference there. Anyone been there? Advice on what not to miss or places to go?

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Nebe

Such a great town. There is at least 1 good brewery there that Jen and I staggered out of once. I’d hit a Waffle House at least once for nostalgia.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Moses

Had a business conference there a couple years ago at the Westin, across the river. Shuttles take you across to downtown which is quaint & easily walked.

I recommend walking around and stopping into places that look interesting for a drink or a small bite to eat. Moon River Brewing just a street or two back from river. Also try the Crystal Beer Parlor located towards historic district.

We had a great dinner with customers at "The Olde Pink House"

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Nebe

Bike powered beer bars should be investigated dennis.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Had a business conference there a couple years ago at the Westin, across the river. Shuttles take you across to downtown which is quaint & easily walked.

I recommend walking around and stopping into places that look interesting for a drink or a small bite to eat. Moon River Brewing just a street or two back from river. Also try the Crystal Beer Parlor located towards historic district.

We had a great dinner with customers at "The Olde Pink House"
Thanks Moses - my wife's conference is in the same place. We rented an Airbnb in town within walking distance.

Eben - I'll be looking into renting bikes for our stay. Visiting breweries is a given while Karolyn is attending conference I'll have to check out fishing opportunities.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 03-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

When are you going?

Daughter graduated from Savannah College of Art Design, SCAD three years ago. She is actually going down for St Patrick's Day as they do it up! And being a flight attendant, she can just buzz down there.

Usually stuff sponsored by SCAD going on. Their historical renovation school has some nice stuff, if they are doing a local project. Model Ship Museum is interesting on a rainy day. Always something going on along the river and plenty of restaurants and bars. The historical parts of town are cool with all the squares and period homes. (SCAD does not really have a campus per say, as they have just bought up properties all over town for their academic buildings and a hotel for their housing...) I never found local fishing so you should probably rent a car and go over to Tybee Island. Local fishing piers and Back Beach River would be the best bet to start with your search.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
DZ

Thanks - we're headed down for mid May. Thank you all for the suggestions.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 03-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
rphud
GrandBob

From my trip there:Goose Feathers for breakfast, The Public for lunch, and Alligator Soul for dinner. If I was going back, Alligator would be a must redo.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote