Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing Fishing Hardwater

Old 01-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Guppy
User

Bait

How do you’ll keep shiners happy and alive ,,, they’re getting close to a buck each ….. and they’re getting tough to get around here …
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I use an aquarium air pump and bubble stone in an old kitty litter bucket. I manage to keep them in the for a couple weeks if I change out the water every couple of days.

You could also setup an aquarium at home for storage
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:16 AM   #3
Guppy
User

Good one, thanks
Old 01-19-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
Rockfish9

I keep mine in a 35 Gallon Rubbermaid barrel in my shop, fitted with a canister filter that pumps the return water through an old aquarium chiller set to 40 ( the digital is off, the new temp probe is back ordered. the water is @39).. water is drawn from the center through 3/4 pvc that is drilled all the way around top to bottom with 3/16 holes so bait cant get pulled into it, the return is drilled on one side with larger holes at the bottom and progressively smaller one towards the top, it is angled so there is a slight counter clockwise rotation, this keeps the bait oriented and moves scale and waste towards the middle so it gets pulled into the filter.. I have the bottom fitted with a pump and strainer for quick water changed and draining, I have potable water piped to the tank so I can top off after drawing water.. a flat air stone is place where the return is to help keep the debris moving.. the set up is extreme for most people, but I keep 6-10 dozen shiners at a time ( I trap my own bait), the chiller assures that I never get temperature shocked bait, as any change over 5-7 degrees in 24 hours will shock them, just a trash can outside with an air stone and occasional water changes would accomplish the same thing, it is just more labor intensive and inconvenient..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220118_180332.jpg (93.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20220118_180348.jpg (148.6 KB, 12 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #5
niko

Aquarium in the basement with pump/airstone. 50% water change every other day w/ decchlorinator. Bigger tank/tote = less water changes
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I keep mine in a 35 Gallon Rubbermaid barrel in my shop, fitted with a canister filter that pumps the return water through an old aquarium chiller set to 40 ( the digital is off, the new temp probe is back ordered. the water is @39).. water is drawn from the center through 3/4 pvc that is drilled all the way around top to bottom with 3/16 holes so bait cant get pulled into it, the return is drilled on one side with larger holes at the bottom and progressively smaller one towards the top, it is angled so there is a slight counter clockwise rotation, this keeps the bait oriented and moves scale and waste towards the middle so it gets pulled into the filter.. I have the bottom fitted with a pump and strainer for quick water changed and draining, I have potable water piped to the tank so I can top off after drawing water.. a flat air stone is place where the return is to help keep the debris moving.. the set up is extreme for most people, but I keep 6-10 dozen shiners at a time ( I trap my own bait), the chiller assures that I never get temperature shocked bait, as any change over 5-7 degrees in 24 hours will shock them, just a trash can outside with an air stone and occasional water changes would accomplish the same thing, it is just more labor intensive and inconvenient..
Joe, you never cease to amaze me,,, awesome setup.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Aquarium in the basement with pump/airstone. 50% water change every other day w/ decchlorinator. Bigger tank/tote = less water changes
I guess it’s time to get serious with my bait setup…
I bought a 110 / 1.5 volt DC transformer to run the Bubble Box between trips…. Two D batteries cost about the same as a dos of those critters… :-)

I expect a report on tomorrow’s fishin ….. ;-)