Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 02-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Joining the Yak ranks

I bit the bullet today at the RISSA show and put a deposit down on a Hobie PA14, so now I have to figure out what options I need and what the hell I need to purchase in the way of clothing and safety gear. I suspect these things aren't crazy wet, but I doubt they are bone dry either, so I have to figure out the clothing thing for various seasons. Fresh water will be easy, it's the salt that I suspect will be wetter, although I've bass fishing lakes where the wakes from skiers and nut jobs will rock even an 19 footer.

Hope to hook up with some fellow SB yakers this year too. I certainly will enjoy the Westport River and know it well and Barnstable in May I think is a must have. I'd would like to hit the black sea bass in early spring, but will need to find some closer ramps, not like I'm launching in Wareham and making that long paddle out to fish outside the west end of the canal or up by bird island.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Good luck with her Bob, Westport Watch Out!!!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Thanks goodness.......I need more guys to yak fish with!!! Congrats Bob and check your messages!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Good luck with her Bob, Westport Watch Out!!!
Westport is ideal yak fishing, stripers are in that river in the spring, as are Tog and obviously you can get a really good fall run of mixed bag out front of the river. Just can't be paddling out front on an outgoing tide with 20mph SW winds or you might have issues getting back in. Two mile ledge out front is within a short paddle and you can get some early season tog and stripers out on that ledge. I remember about 5 years ago a friend and I launched and I must have left a spot light on by mistake, so dead battery. We launched anyway and ran out to two mile on my 101# thrust trolling motor and both limited out on tog with my 4" split tails, with a bonus 40" striper, going back in would be a lot quicker in the kayak after a day on the trolling motor.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Excited for the Westport river myself, love that area, spent a lot of Time down there when I worked in Westport
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Congrats! You will enjoy it! You will actually be pretty high and dry in the PA unless you go out in the slop. Still, like I always like to preach, you want to be ready in case you go into cold water.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Hi Guys, well I'm finally doing it, taking the plunge and getting a yak. Watching my buddies pile up 30+ albies this fall from my neck of the woods clinched it for me. I'm as green as can be but, I'll start shopping in a few weeks.. wish me luck!

johnny

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Best way to shorten the learning curve is do a few "Scrambles" with the "Yak Rats"! Getting out with a group is a safe and great way to learn a few things and ask questions and have them answered!!! Congrats! Hope to see you!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote