Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Muskyslayer96

Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood

Hey fellas,

I started making some smaller walleye/bass sized swimming plugs at my buddies request. I'm looking for a wood filler that won't add as much weight as epoxy putty, and that is a lot easier to sand, doesn't shrink much and can be sealed to be water proof. Is there such a product? I know some people use bondo?
The plugs get little dings and I'd like to fill around the lip slot and clean the eye holes up a little. I use epoxy putty on all my musky stuf and it can be a real pain to sand down without messing up the clean wood.

Thanks in advance fellas,

MS

Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I like MH Ready Patch

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Rockfish9

elmers 2 part epoxy wood repair putty.. it floats and will add 0 weight to your small baits..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I use Famowood putty because I have it in the cabinet shop. It is solvent based and dries fast. I don't know if sealer makes it waterproof but it does the job. I also use plumbers epoxy but you say it adds weight.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I use Famowood putty because I have it in the cabinet shop. It is solvent based and dries fast. I don't know if sealer makes it waterproof but it does the job. I also use plumbers epoxy but you say it adds weight.
I use the plumers putty on prototypes... it only adds 1 gram of weight for a 5/16 hole or Buckshot size piece.. most times it's less than that because it is just covering.. so unless the plug is extremly finnicky it's not a big deal... and the plumers putty will seal wet surfaces and dries in 5 minutes.. the stuff I use needs 8 hours to harden..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
pbadad

Zinseer ready patch. water base, sand easy. on deep hole you need to do another coat because of shrinkage. Normal fill ins is OK. Personally thats the most PITA in doing plugs. Filling, waiting then sanding smooth also w/o trying to sand into softwood. At one time I tried to drill my weight holes b/4 turning and pouring lead into hole. Turn to dimention and it a done deal. Problem was the lead slugs would fly out occassionally and your wood had to be planed to perfection to get the same depth of hole in order to have the consistent weight throughout the plug batch. On the lead fying out I also drilled and sent a thread tap in hole to groove threads for the lead to grab. It worked but I think the effort wasn't worth savings.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Mojo7
Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Zinseer ready patch. water base, sand easy. on deep hole you need to do another coat because of shrinkage. Normal fill ins is OK. Personally thats the most PITA in doing plugs. Filling, waiting then sanding smooth also w/o trying to sand into softwood. At one time I tried to drill my weight holes b/4 turning and pouring lead into hole. Turn to dimention and it a done deal. Problem was the lead slugs would fly out occassionally and your wood had to be planed to perfection to get the same depth of hole in order to have the consistent weight throughout the plug batch. On the lead fying out I also drilled and sent a thread tap in hole to groove threads for the lead to grab. It worked but I think the effort wasn't worth savings.
What a great idea.
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote